• like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

i like it wood.
    initially it didn't sit well with me to think we drafted out future QB and followed with no offensive guys until round 4.
    my worry was/is that we yet again fail to protect our franchise qb
    i'm more than ever convinced that the plan is for Tyrod to start until we have 5 guys on the oline that can grow together
    probably not until 2021
    priority for me is a young athletic center as smart as Herbert
    Quessenberry perhaps?
    We can always surprise the shit out of us and draft Sewell and Humphrey next year.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I agree. I don't think studying is a problem for him so throw the entire playbook at him. And have him continuing to work on his mechanics and go over the playbook with Shane and Rip.

Edit: I still think they should get a QB coach for Herbert even if the only job is to help him work on his fundamentals. Luckily Herbert isn't Tebow level bad.
      God no.

More importantly, Hebert seems like he responds to coaching. His Senior Bowl tape, his first throws went very well. He is patient and stick to his mechanics, and it showed progress. Not where it needs to be, although they were completed, but progress. He was getting the ball out closer to on time, and getting the ball a lot closer to where it needs to be. Not every throw is going to be perfect, but the package appears to be coming together.

It got weaker later on, although not bad.

Tebow would always get coverage about how hard he was working in the offseason, then 1st preseason game, he looks like the same old Florida Tim Tebow, doing things his way, and being sloppy as hell. It can be tough to break down old (bad) habits, and replace them with better habits. You have to unlearn the old ones. Then the Tebows of the world don't always seem as receptive to coaching as they probably should.

I don't think Hebert is a Tebow type, I think he is a player who is very receptive to coaching.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

God no.

More importantly, Hebert seems like he responds to coaching. His Senior Bowl tape, his first throws went very well. He is patient and stick to his mechanics, and it showed progress. Not where it needs to be, although they were completed, but progress. He was getting the ball out closer to on time, and getting the ball a lot closer to where it needs to be. Not every throw is going to be perfect, but the package appears to be coming together.

It got weaker later on, although not bad.

Tebow would always get coverage about how hard he was working in the offseason, then 1st preseason game, he looks like the same old Florida Tim Tebow, doing things his way, and being sloppy as hell. It can be tough to break down old (bad) habits, and replace them with better habits. You have to unlearn the old ones. Then the Tebows of the world don't always seem as receptive to coaching as they probably should.

I don't think Hebert is a Tebow type, I think he is a player who is very receptive to coaching.
        I would agree with that. I love this quote from Justin Herbert when asked if he felt ready to start at quarterback ...“I’ve never played a down in the NFL,” the Oregon alum told reporters, via NBC Sports. “I couldn’t tell you what the speed of the game is like. I’ve watched as much as I could and I feel confident with my abilities but I’ve never played in the NFL before, so to give you an answer whether I could play right now, I don’t think that would be in my best interest.” https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/2/...regon-chargers

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Lamp.
          i can't even hold anything against him.
          He had to learn a new position. But he gets his knee wrecked. He has to rehab. I believe he had to have a follow up surgery and was behind schedule year 2. And then in year 3 when he finally gets a chance to play and makes a couple starts at left guard. He breaks his fibula in Titans game. And misses rest of season. Year 4...I really hope he is healthy because IMO, he has the ability to be a quality starter.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

i agree he exhibited all of that last season, but he also had a team litterd with future pros often playing against guys who will never play on Sunday. That advantage is gone next year. We shall see how he does. the complete offensive overhaul also helped in that teams couldn't prepare for what they had not seen before. Their OC was the biggest factor in his explosion. He underwhelmed at ohio state (not archaic system) and was not very good yr 1 at LSU. I doubt he will be in that system going forward ao we shall see how he adjusts to a more even talent matchups and the offense he will be running.

my point is not that i think he WILL be a bust, only that it is greater than many realize, while many scream bust about Herbert and he literally played with scrubs.
            If you have an Athletic subscription, this is a good breakdown of why Burrows went #1 overall. This is where Herbert needs to be eventually. I'm hoping the writer does a breakdown of Herbert as well one of these days:

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Herbert has a gun, even with mechanics that break down at times. Can you imagine the velocity he can put on the ball if he gets consistent with his mechanics? It will be scary.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Personally, I prefer his touch. Too many guys with a big gun just try to throw hard every down. Too many times they don't see the LB underneath, and cannot throw over them.

Hebert throws rainbows, because unless you are John Elway or Brett Favre, you can't throw through defenders.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

One criticism I read of him is that he doesn't take enough off the ball when he needs to, ie every ball is shot from a cannon and it leads to drops and picks. But I have not seen that in the games and highlights I have seen. Have you?

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    One criticism I read of him is that he doesn't take enough off the ball when he needs to, ie every ball is shot from a cannon and it leads to drops and picks. But I have not seen that in the games and highlights I have seen. Have you?

TG
                    I have. There are YouTube videos with highlights showing where he misses wide open receivers because he hurls line drives to the spot instead of putting some touch on the ball and letting his receivers go get it.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

Hopefully they split pre season playing time right this year and let Herbert and Stick run with the ones. Last year it was Cardale Jones till 30 seconds left in the 4th quarter it seemed like.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We must be pliable and not get all butt hurt when things don't go our way.

Justin and wood are maturing rapidly.

I honestly feel for The Trenchers...these big four OTs are very good. Even Austin Jackson went at #17.

I like to step back from touting post draft jammer, and get at the big picture. To this end, I have just examined 32 new depth charts. Everybody loaded up with offense.

Our draft had a clear theme. I am pointing to the meat of the draft. Kelley, Reed and Hill. Hands. Consistency. Move the chains. Compete with the offenses of the new NFL by controlling the pace. (Rivers was so hyper.)

We traded up for Murray knowing that him, Queen and Jordan Brooks would be gone by #37, and that there would be PLENTY of RBs/WRs late, even with fewer picks.

TT is smart. We are building a team and a culture. Yet, tell me it wasn't a bad idea for TT to stay away from drafting Oline, given his track record ?
                        This old trencher wished we had been able to draft one of the big four but taking one of the QB's is just to tempting. What if Herbert turns out to be great? It's a chance we had to take. I feel foolish that I didn't realize that before hand. If Herbert does turn out to be great we will have dodged a problem many teams have had over the years - drafting another QB every couple of years.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I have. There are YouTube videos with highlights showing where he misses wide open receivers because he hurls line drives to the spot instead of putting some touch on the ball and letting his receivers go get it.
                          link please
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X