• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I think Lamp and Feeney will battle it out at OG. Pikokins or a vet brought in at OLT.
    Storm!
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I think Lamp and Feeney will battle it out at OG. Pikokins or a vet brought in at OLT.
      And Feeney has 3 years starting experience. He has a leg up in competition or could be kept on as an experienced backup at two positions. Lamp has no experience and probably only one position. He needs to win the starters job to be safe. And he’s never been able to do that.

I don’t say he can’t, I say he needs to perform at a higher level right now to keep his job.

and the new OL coach Has no investment in him. Hes an easy cut.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

i agree he exhibited all of that last season, but he also had a team litterd with future pros often playing against guys who will never play on Sunday. That advantage is gone next year. We shall see how he does. the complete offensive overhaul also helped in that teams couldn't prepare for what they had not seen before. Their OC was the biggest factor in his explosion. He underwhelmed at ohio state (not archaic system) and was not very good yr 1 at LSU. I doubt he will be in that system going forward ao we shall see how he adjusts to a more even talent matchups and the offense he will be running.

my point is not that i think he WILL be a bust, only that it is greater than many realize, while many scream bust about Herbert and he literally played with scrubs.
        People kept saying that last season. That the tougher teams and defenses would expose Burrows once talents were equal, but all he did was make those teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson look silly at the end.
        Former LSU quarterback Joe Burrow is expected to be the top selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. But surprisingly there are some folks who

We'll see. The Bengals aren't the best run organization either. So anything could happen including injuries to derail his career.

People are down on Herbert for the reasons I mentioned. He seems to have the work ethic, intelligence, character, and physical skills down. He just needs to be better at those three things I mentioned if heis to succeed. I think he can. But he needs the right coaching. Whether Lynn and Co can do it or not is something that we'll have to see.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

People kept saying that last season. That the tougher teams and defenses would expose Burrows once talents were equal, but all he did was make those teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson look silly at the end.
          Former LSU quarterback Joe Burrow is expected to be the top selection in the 2020 NFL Draft. But surprisingly there are some folks who

We'll see. The Bengals aren't the best run organization either. So anything could happen including injuries to derail his career.

People are down on Herbert for the reasons I mentioned. He seems to have the work ethic, intelligence, character, and physical skills down. He just needs to be better at those three things I mentioned if heis to succeed. I think he can. But he needs the right coaching. Whether Lynn and Co can do it or not is something that we'll have to see.
          You hear Orgeron talk about how smart Burrow is ?
          Joe has been studying the Bengal playbook for weeks.
          He'll start week 1.
          Wassup Herbert ?
          Hit the books.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

He'll start week 1.
            Wassup Herbert ?
            Hit the books.
            They say Herbert is a pretty sharp guy. Chargers gave him a test and he missed one coverage or play. So hopefully that continues. Keep it simple, play to his strengths , limit the playbook and have him grow into the job. Oh yes, plenty of reps in preseason games.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

At the conclusion of the draft yesterday, I was taken aback that no OL or DL were taken. But I've read some explanations for that, and I am satisfied. After taking some time to learn about each of our new picks, I am very high on this draft. The reason being that most of the rookies should be able to contribute in 2020 in productive ways, in limited roles that employ their strengths, without having to take on too much or be stars. The only exception is Murray - he should be a three-down player and the QB of the defense. He seems to be that type of special player who can be depended on to take on that role early as a rookie. We don't need Herbert to do anything in 2020, unless forced by injury. Even if TT struggles, I don't think they will insert JH, unless they are completely confident he is ready as a rookie.

I think all the rookies, with one possible exception, will make the roster.

Kelly and Reed will fill specific roles that don't require large learning curves - the will be a part of corps of weapons that now looks very deep.

Gilman should be able to contribute immediately on special teams. Though, I think of all the rookies he is most likely not to make the roster. If he is out-performed by UDFA talent, he may be a casualty. I know nothing about him, so I can't really say, and the team did lose a number of special teams stalwarts, so that helps his chances IMO.

I saved K.J. Hill for last because I am sure that Telesco had no intention of drafting another WR at with the final pick. But with Hill still there, I think had to make a quick change of plans and grab him. I think Hill will make the roster and contribute immediately. He also seems to be that type of player. Between Hill and Reed, our WR corps is significantly upgraded. WR depth was one of the biggest weaknesses before the draft, now I think the depth is a strength. With these two rookies behind KA and MW on the depth chart, and Hunter Henry & the XFL TE, and Ekeler & the RB depth who are also accomplished receivers, this is going to be a dynamic and balanced offense with so many weapons in the rushing and passing attack.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                At the conclusion of the draft yesterday, I was taken aback that no OL or DL were taken. But I've read some explanations for that, and I am satisfied. After taking some time to learn about each of our new picks, I am very high on this draft. The reason being that most of the rookies should be able to contribute in 2020 in productive ways, in limited roles that employ their strengths, without having to take on too much or be stars. The only exception is Murray - he should be a three-down player and the QB of the defense. He seems to be that type of special player who can be depended on to take on that role early as a rookie. We don't need Herbert to do anything in 2020, unless forced by injury. Even if TT struggles, I don't think they will insert JH, unless they are completely confident he is ready as a rookie.

I think all the rookies, with one possible exception, will make the roster.

Kelly and Reed will fill specific roles that don't require large learning curves - the will be a part of corps of weapons that now looks very deep.

Gilman should be able to contribute immediately on special teams. Though, I think of all the rookies he is most likely not to make the roster. If he is out-performed by UDFA talent, he may be a casualty. I know nothing about him, so I can't really say, and the team did lose a number of special teams stalwarts, so that helps his chances IMO.

I saved K.J. Hill for last because I am sure that Telesco had no intention of drafting another WR at with the final pick. But with Hill still there, I think had to make a quick change of plans and grab him. I think Hill will make the roster and contribute immediately. He also seems to be that type of player. Between Hill and Reed, our WR corps is significantly upgraded. WR depth was one of the biggest weaknesses before the draft, now I think the depth is a strength. With these two rookies behind KA and MW on the depth chart, and Hunter Henry & the XFL TE, and Ekeler & the RB depth who are also accomplished receivers, this is going to be a dynamic and balanced offense with so many weapons in the rushing and passing attack.
                I was upset about no OT personally. But after trading away our 2nd and 3rd, TT probably realized that there's no one in the 3rd day that could help them immediately. Also, maybe TT finally realized he can't draft an OL and is now just relying on FA lol?

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He'll start week 1.
                  Wassup Herbert ?
                  Hit the books.
                  Stop. Herbert didnt know where he was going. Awarded Top scholar athlete in the nation. William V Campbell Trophy winner (academic heisman) for best grades, comm service and on field performance in CFB. Perfect 4.0 in HS and college. 3 different OC in 4 yrs,so it isnt like he has not experienced learning new offenses before.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

He'll start week 1.
                    Wassup Herbert ?
                    Hit the books.
                    Wu-dai, what is your opinion of the Herbert pick?

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

He'll start week 1.
                      Wassup Herbert ?
                      Hit the books.
                      Herbert + $5 mil > Rivers + $25 Mil Nuff Said!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Silversurfer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Los Angeles
                        • Send PM

At least you know you can throw the whole playbook to Herbert unlike 13 score Tua and Lamar running a pop warner offense.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                          At least you know you can throw the whole playbook to Herbert unlike 13 score Tua and Lamar running a pop warner offense.
                          I agree. I don't think studying is a problem for him so throw the entire playbook at him. And have him continuing to work on his mechanics and go over the playbook with Shane and Rip.

Edit: I still think they should get a QB coach for Herbert even if the only job is to help him work on his fundamentals. Luckily Herbert isn't Tebow level bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X