• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio’s Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Hill is coached up by one of the better position coaches in Brian Hartline; he’ll be starting in the slot at some point his rookie season.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

But, I am also mentioning it is in no way noteworthy. Everybody does this. Everyone, even other positions do draft prep where they work on position specific fundamentals.

As far as the underwear Olympics, I don't think that his workout even figures into the draft evaluation. Why would it, it is not playing football. What could one workout after almost 4 years of starting experience tell you?

I don't think Rivers fell to pieces, FWIW.
      That workout, and others, could tell you he has been working on, and improving his mechanics...something he may not have done much of in his 4 years at Oregon...that he responds well to technique coaching, and it reflects well in his throws...

FWIW, I do believe Rivers lost his bearing and discipline last year, no doubt. Falling to pieces was a bit of hyperbole, I'll concede, but he played poorly, particularly with decision making...love the guy, wanted to keep him....but sadly, that's what happened.

Spot on about needing time for those mechanics to sink in...I'm all for redshirt year...

In the meantime, I'm rolling forward with a glass half full outlook....
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
        Hill is coached up by one of the better position coaches in Brian Hartline; he’ll be starting in the slot at some point his rookie season.
        Are you back? I thought you went to the Black Hole?

Comment

• Antonio’s Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Are you back? I thought you went to the Black Hole?
          That was an offseason fling that lasted maybe a month. Haven’t rooted for any specific team in two years. I think I’ve had enough of that.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

That was an offseason flirtation that lasted maybe a month. Haven’t rooted for any specific team in two years. I think I’ve had enough of that.
            Ah, but welcome back!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

That was an offseason fling that lasted maybe a month. Haven’t rooted for any specific team in two years. I think I’ve had enough of that.
              Don't know you bro, but love the avatar...welcome back!
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Hope you used a condom.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Hope you used a condom.
                  that is a double bagger in my book

Comment

• Antonio’s Gates
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Hope you used a condom.
                    We didn’t even get to first.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

With the way our other (everyone but Keenan and Williams) played, it would be a little surprising if he wasn't.

Again, Ekeler plays a lot in the slot, softening the lack of production there. He is mostly out of the backfield, but depending on how well the other RB do, maybe. IT will depend more on who can play RB than if Ekeler can play in the slot (which he can).

We added Reed, so it would not be much of a surprise if Reed gets some playing time there, although based on something that I heard TT say when he was being interviewed by his son makes me think we might not use Reed as a classic slot WR, but more of a slot RB, like we have been using Ekeler, or like a wingback kind of thing, or a smallish Hback.

The ex-XFL TE could fill some of the 5th receiver spot 2nd TE, FB or slot WR production void.

I think Hill is underrated because people see he ran a 4.6 40 and think he is slow. He isn't super fast, but remember the little kid on the play ground who no body could ever catch, because he could cut and slither away from everyone and never got touched. Hill is that kind of guy. Someone else said like a Wes Welker, and that is about right.

I keep pointing to Reed as being big, like a featured RB sized guy in the slot, but Hill is the size of a lot of RB in the NFL these days. Maybe not the featured RB sized guy, but still close to 195-200 lbs. He is solid and thick, yet has quickness and cuts super fast.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

That workout, and others, could tell you he has been working on, and improving his mechanics...something he may not have done much of in his 4 years at Oregon...that he responds well to technique coaching, and it reflects well in his throws...

FWIW, I do believe Rivers lost his bearing and discipline last year, no doubt. Falling to pieces was a bit of hyperbole, I'll concede, but he played poorly, particularly with decision making...love the guy, wanted to keep him....but sadly, that's what happened.

Spot on about needing time for those mechanics to sink in...I'm all for redshirt year...

In the meantime, I'm rolling forward with a glass half full outlook....
                        I think of this time of year as like being on a first date or a job interview. Sure, you get a sense of the guy, but unless the kid is stupid, both you (team) and he (player) are on their best behavior. Everyone is working on the mechanics, learning X&O's … Now that he is drafted, for the most part they still work hard.

The real question is once practice starts, what will he do when practice is over. Is he one of the first guys out of the building, or is he there making sure he is doing his do diligence.

The stories about the Oregon coaching staff offering to put a cot in the QB meeting room with a fridge and Hebert being there every night until 8pm are much better indicators to me. Sure, maybe the Oregon staff is making those up, but you can ask players and you can ask the athletic department secretarial staff (there is no part of a university where the admin staff doesn't know the real dirt) to double check. IF he was doing that, when no one was watching, there is a good chance that it will work out. If the stories are any way true, Hebert is the kind of player who will put in the extra work

Plus it's kinda a funny thing for a coaching staff to brag about. No one usually has that kind of detail, usually you just hear about the generic "good work ethic" (not good college work ethic, pro level work ethic …), which means nothing when it is put like that (needs context). I like the fact that the kid treats football like a job, which it is now. The university may not like that football was his major. Yes, I am sure he had a declared academic major, but we all know what he was really focused on. But he focused on football and he was working at his future profession, which is what all college kids should treat their time in school. That is the big positive to me.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Anyone who had a 4.0 GPA in both high school and college (and as a biology major) is someone willing to put in time to achieve something. If he fails in the NFL it won't be from lack of effort or attitude. He appears to have the drive, work ethic and a ton of physical talent to be a very good QB.

Comment

Working...
                          X