• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Where did we get an extra third? An imagined trade with no loss of 2020 draft capital?
    He was dreaming Cleveland would trade us #74 without wanting a pick back this year lol.

Eno....meh we have PS RBs comparable to him

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
      This is the draft that I would have done based upon the players that were available as the draft happened.

1/6: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
      2/37: Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin
      3/71: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
      3/74: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
      4/112: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
      5/151: Trevis Gipson, DE, Tulsa
      6/186: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Mississippi
      7/220: Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

IMO, our actual draft is a study in what happens when a team fails to use a proper BPA analysis. The failure to draft Simmons had a cascading effect that largely destroyed the draft the Chargers had.

Simmons is better than Murray, and by failing to take Simmons, we wasted our picks in rounds two and three. We could have had Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with those picks. Josh Jones, a faller, also happens to play our position of greatest need.

Further, there is no way that I am trusting Pouncey to stay healthy. Cushenberry has long term starting potential and was available in round three. The Browns were willing to trade that pick and I would would have traded one or more future picks to make that extra pick available to select Cushenberry.

I understand that not everyone liked Okwuegbunam, but his 4.49 speed at TE interests me and with Henry, I thing matchup problems could have been created. Instead, we will get to suffer those matchup problems as Okwuegbunam gets paired with Fant for the Broncos.

Gipson is a DE with potential that I think represents good value at #151.

When the team needs a player with long speed to stretch defenses, it helps to draft a player that actually does that. I do not think Watkins is any better than Reed or Hill, but I do think his 4.35 speed provides something missing from our receiving unit.

Eno Benjamin represents good value at #220. Zane Lewis, a CB, who ended up as an UDFA, also might have been worth considering here.

I will never be convinced that Herbert and Murray are worth as much as Simmons, Taylor and Jones--no way, not even close and very, very frustrating. There was a good draft there to be had. I think we chose not to have it.
      Good draft. We wouldn't have #74 but all else is right. Could have gotten C Derek Harris in the 5th instead. We would be much better w those 1st 3 picks too and would have been a successful draft in itself.

I think they lock onto players they want too and just take them vs letting the draft play out and taking advantage of fallers. They locked onto K Murray and as a result we lose our third pick which here could have been another starter.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

This is the draft that I would have done based upon the players that were available as the draft happened.

1/6: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
        2/37: Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin
        3/71: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
        3/74: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
        4/112: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
        5/151: Trevis Gipson, DE, Tulsa
        6/186: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Mississippi
        7/220: Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

IMO, our actual draft is a study in what happens when a team fails to use a proper BPA analysis. The failure to draft Simmons had a cascading effect that largely destroyed the draft the Chargers had.

Simmons is better than Murray, and by failing to take Simmons, we wasted our picks in rounds two and three. We could have had Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with those picks. Josh Jones, a faller, also happens to play our position of greatest need.

Further, there is no way that I am trusting Pouncey to stay healthy. Cushenberry has long term starting potential and was available in round three. The Browns were willing to trade that pick and I would would have traded one or more future picks to make that extra pick available to select Cushenberry.

I understand that not everyone liked Okwuegbunam, but his 4.49 speed at TE interests me and with Henry, I thing matchup problems could have been created. Instead, we will get to suffer those matchup problems as Okwuegbunam gets paired with Fant for the Broncos.

Gipson is a DE with potential that I think represents good value at #151.

When the team needs a player with long speed to stretch defenses, it helps to draft a player that actually does that. I do not think Watkins is any better than Reed or Hill, but I do think his 4.35 speed provides something missing from our receiving unit.

Eno Benjamin represents good value at #220. Zane Lewis, a CB, who ended up as an UDFA, also might have been worth considering here.

I will never be convinced that Herbert and Murray are worth as much as Simmons, Taylor and Jones--no way, not even close and very, very frustrating. There was a good draft there to be had. I think we chose not to have it.
        I wouldn't trade KJ for Eno. A really good starting slot for a rotational RB. Not for me.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

If I draft my style.

I take Simmons-LB

then I trade back from # 37 and try to add a pick, maybe to Jax for #42 & #116

And I trade back from #71 and try to add a pick, maybe to Dal for #82 & #123

But then the entire draft unfolds different.
          And Its unlikely I am able to draft a new franchise QB.
          That would have to wait until next year.

Telesco draft style got his new franchise QB right away.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Where did we get an extra third? An imagined trade with no loss of 2020 draft capital?
            I did state in my post that I would have traded "one or more future picks to make that extra pick available to pick Cushenberry". The point is that the Browns proved they were willing to trade that pick. It is not a case in which we are imagining a trade with someone that is unwilling to trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He was dreaming Cleveland would trade us #74 without wanting a pick back this year lol.

Eno....meh we have PS RBs comparable to him
              You don't think Cleveland would have taken next year's second round pick for #74?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

You don't think Cleveland would have taken next year's second round pick for #74?
                Depends on their board. Not like they are contenders so id guess not but who knows. Definitely not a given.

Maybe if they had 2 third round picks.
                Not sure id give up our next years second for a third either this year either. If I were doing that, I'd have offered a player and maybe lower round pick....depending on the player.

Perryman and a 5th OR 6th for example.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

The thing is - you need a QB in the NFL. I get Eason went in the 4th round and maybe he is a good prospect that can improve to be a starting NFL QB. But by all accounts - Herbert was the 3rd best prospect in the draft and per the Breer article, sounds like the team did its due diligence (which is all I wanted). And there is a big drop off from Herbert to Eason I am guessing. If Herbert is a GOOD to VERY GOOD NFL QB - Isiah Simmons will have to be a stud, really damn good - for him to surpass a good NFL QB.

The pick I was not a fan of was the 6th rounder - would have picked KJ Hill or the best OT prospect on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Good draft. We wouldn't have #74 but all else is right. Could have gotten C Derek Harris in the 5th instead. We would be much better w those 1st 3 picks too and would have been a successful draft in itself.

I think they lock onto players they want too and just take them vs letting the draft play out and taking advantage of fallers. They locked onto K Murray and as a result we lose our third pick which here could have been another starter.
                    #74 likely would have cost us our 2021 2nd round pick under the theory that next year's picks are worth a round less than this year's picks. Cushenberry would be a long term starter at C, so I would have parted with next year's 2nd round pick to make that happen. (Cushenberry was at the top of my pre-draft third round cluster, but I would take Jones over him and did not expect Jones to be there at #71.)

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Depends on their board. Not like they are contenders so id guess not.

Maybe if they had 2 third round picks.
                      Not sure id give up our next years second for a third either this year either. If I were doing that, I'd have offered a player and maybe lower round pick....depending on the pkayer.
                      Trading a player and pick would have been another possible way to do it. The point is that I tried to be realistic by finding a team that actually traded its third round pick as close as possible to #71 because that would have been my mindset with that board at that time--not some hindsight of, "Well, Denver took him here and of course I would have known that so I would have traded exactly one pick ahead of Denver". Instead, I would have been like, "Whoa! Jones is on the board, but Cushenberry is too! How did that happen? Let's get 'em both right now!"

To me, I think it is okay to admit that Pipkins was overdrafted and that we are at least uncertain about whether or not he can be an effective NFL OT. Jones might be a steal. If both players pan out, then we have good OT depth, which is not a bad thing.

I think we fixed RT and RG and I am fine with giving Lamp one last chance to thrive at LG. But with Okung gone and Pouncey injured and in decline, I think we should have addressed both LT and OC reasonably early in the draft.

And I get that not everyone would pay a round premium to get the extra pick this year. But to me, the odds are less than 50-50 that Pouncey plays a full season and I am underwhelmed by our reserve options. I like the idea of getting Cushenberry this year so he could take over next year or even later this year if Pouncey became injured.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2020, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Trading a player and pick would have been another possible way to do it. The point is that I tried to be realistic by finding a team that actually traded its third round pick as close as possible to #71 because that would have been my mindset with that board at that time--not some hindsight of, "Well, Denver took him here and of course I would have known that so I would have traded exactly one pick ahead of Denver". Instead, I would have been like, "Whoa! Jones is on the board, but Cushenberry is too! How did that happen? Let's get 'em both right now!"

To me, I think it is okay to admit that Pipkins was overdrafted and that we are at least uncertain about whether or not he can be an effective NFL OT. Jones might be a steal. If both players pan out, then we have good OT depth, which is not a bad thing.

I think we fixed RT and RG and I am fine with giving Lamp one last chance to thrive at LG. But with Okung gone and Pouncey injured and in decline, I think we should have addressed both LT and OC reasonably early in the draft.

And I get that not everyone would pay a round premium to get the extra pick this year. But to me, the odds are less than 50-50 that Pouncey plays a full season and I am underwhelmed by our reserve options. I like the idea of getting Cushenberry this year so he could take over next year or even later this year if Puncey became injured.
                        The Saints gave up #88 this year and a 3rd in 2021. Just thinking we would have to give a pick this year as well that why I said a player...we didn't have a decent pick to offer this year which would make trading back into those rounds tough.

Would be nice to get a other OC. Unless we sign a vet, looks like we will roll with Pip and a shitty backup

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I like this game.

1-Jedrick Wills, OT
                          2-Trevon Diggs, CB
                          3-Josh Jones, OT (can never have too much OL)
                          4-Anthony McFarland, RB
                          5-Jake Fromm, QB (better than Herbert)
                          6-K.J. Hill, WR
                          7-Malcolm Perry, WR/RB

Comment

Working...
                          X