• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
    Not taking a great QB would relegate the team to many years of mediocrity and missing the playoffs. Even Rivers wasn't getting the Chargers to the playoffs, and Taylor is a big drop-off from Rivers. The Chargers are working to be great and make the playoffs every year maybe win a Superbowl. I've been a Charger fan for 50 years, I'm tired of not winning Superbowls. I want them to reach for winning a Superbowl. Not winning a couple more games in a season but never to win anything. Drafting Herbert was an absolute must.
    Is this the old Boltaction that had the spinning bolt avatar?

Comment

• Boltaction
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Is this the old Boltaction that had the spinning bolt avatar?
      Yes it is. Good to be back. Go Chargers.

Comment

• rikardo
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
        It boggles my mind when I see people saying we should have drafted Simmons. Look I get it arguably best defensive player in the draft besides Brown and Okudah.
        IMO you left the best defensive player of the draft out of the argument Chase Young.
        And to me there is no argument Chase Young is the best player of this draft (not just defensive players)

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

SMH...failing to get the value that was easily there to be had does mean that the team screwed up its draft. It has nothing to do with players I wanted or Trevor Lawrence or any of that BS nonsense you are suggesting.

Simmons was the BPA at a position of need and should have been taken. That would have resulted in us not trading up for Murray, which should have resulted in us pocketing Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with our second and third round picks.

I am really not sure how anyone could argue with a straight face that Herbert and Murray carry anywhere close to the value that Simmons, Taylor and Jones combined carry.
          SMH...? Does that mean so much hate? I'm not hating on the Chargers decisions...sounds like you are. If you draft BPA at position of need every year regardless, you may never find a QB that fits your team...they think Herbert can be that guy, they were fortunate to be picking where they could take him, they took him...good enough for me.

Jones? Obviously question marks, considering all the teams that passed on him...how much value does he have? Love Simmons and Taylor...but they don't hold a candle to a franchise QB.

If TT went your route, I would have readily accepted they knew what they were doing, that they didn't feel one of the top QBs fit here.... while reserving absolute judgement for a few years, to see how it turned out. As is, they felt Herbert was the guy, and got the next best thing to Simmons with Murray, and added a solid RB to a very good, but thin, stable of runners. I accept they knew what they were doing, that they executed their plan, while reserving ultimate judgement for a few years, to see how it turns out.

I'll go with their evaluation of this drafts talent, and what we needed, over your ideas or mine....and with a straight face.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post

Yes it is. Good to be back. Go Chargers.
            Damn been a while. Good to see you posting again.

Comment

• chris9341
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

I am sorry, but I find your take to be pretty remarkable when it comes to the idea of tanking as the team will unquestionably be worse in 2020 with Herbert than it would have been with Simmons.

Simmons would have been a big piece in making the defense an elite unit that would always have us in games.

Unlike Simmons, Herbert likely does nothing to make us better in 2020. He will most likely be sitting behind Taylor while our defense without Simmons will not be as good as it would have been with him.

Thus, we have a much better chance of tanking with Herbert than we would have had with Simmons.

I just don't know what to say here. But let me try. First off why are you saying Herbert is gonna make us worse in 2020 when he's not even going to be the starter. Everyone already knows Tyrod Taylor is going to be the starter in 2020. Now of course things can change but for now he is the front runner. Second can you please clarify what you mean in your first sentence about the ideaof tanking? Like are you saying thats what i suggested? If so i think you need to go back and read what I said. We had 3 big team needs in this draft, we needed a Left Tackle, a new Quarterback and we needed a linebacker. We got two of the three yet your complaining because we didn't get Simmons, which means you must think Kenneth Murray is going to suck. You would make a horrible gm and anyone else who thinks like you that we should have drafted Simmons instead of Herbert. What is the most important position on a football team? Well we drafted the most important need for this team and also got us our 2nd out of 3 team needs a linebacker who is going to be a beast in his own right.

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                IMO you left the best defensive player of the draft out of the argument Chase Young.
                And to me there is no argument Chase Young is the best player of this draft (not just defensive players)

Yeah your right. I forgot about him. Probably because he was already drafted.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

SMH...failing to get the value that was easily there to be had does mean that the team screwed up its draft. It has nothing to do with players I wanted or Trevor Lawrence or any of that BS nonsense you are suggesting.

Simmons was the BPA at a position of need and should have been taken. That would have resulted in us not trading up for Murray, which should have resulted in us pocketing Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with our second and third round picks.

I am really not sure how anyone could argue with a straight face that Herbert and Murray carry anywhere close to the value that Simmons, Taylor and Jones combined carry.
                  Taylor will just be another NFL running back: great speed, poor vision, tight hips. If u liked MGIII hesitating, you'll love Taylor.
                  I didn't like Josh Jones & wondered why people (who weren't GMs) had him going in the 1rst.

Herbert & Murray carry more value.
                  :ygdr:

Comment

I just don't know what to say here. But let me try. First off why are you saying Herbert is gonna make us worse in 2020 when he's not even going to be the starter. Everyone already knows Tyrod Taylor is going to be the starter in 2020. Now of course things can change but for now he is the front runner. Second can you please clarify what you mean in your first sentence about the ideaof tanking? Like are you saying thats what i suggested? If so i think you need to go back and read what I said. We had 3 big team needs in this draft, we needed a Left Tackle, a new Quarterback and we needed a linebacker. We got two of the three yet your complaining because we didn't get Simmons, which means you must think Kenneth Murray is going to suck. You would make a horrible gm and anyone else who thinks like you that we should have drafted Simmons instead of Herbert. What is the most important position on a football team? Well we drafted the most important need for this team and also got us our 2nd out of 3 team needs a linebacker who is going to be a beast in his own right.
                    In post #30, you stated,
                    Although there is the other option we could have drafted Simmons and then tank this up coming in the hopes of drafting Trevor Lawrence.
                    That suggests that it is your view that by drafting Simmons, we would have been tanking.

Since we would have been much, much better in 2020 had we drafted Simmons first, Taylor second and Jones third, than we will be with Herbert and Murray, I thought your comment about us taking Simmons and tanking was utterly ridiculous. If any scenario is the tanking scenario, it the one in which we flushed the #6 pick on a player that we all agree will not be playing in 2020 versus one that was rated higher entering the draft than either Bosa or James, and then followed that with trading away two picks to get a player in Murray that is not as good as the one we failed to take in Simmons when he unexpectedly fell into our laps at #6.

LB was position of need, Simmons was there, and on most boards he was rated a good 10+ players higher than Herbert. LT was the biggest need of all and was so by a large margin. We could have had a player rated by multiple evaluators as a first round value in Jones for the price of only a third round pick. RB was a position of need and we could have had an elite RB option in Taylor, who was also valued by numerous commentators as a first round value. Instead, we were forced to use our 4th round pick on a lesser RB in Kelley. That pick could have been used to select Okwuegbunam, a fast TE that could have paired with Henry to create all kinds of matchup problems.

Now, we will get to watch Denver shove it up our backsides by using Fant and Okwuegbunam the exact same way I was suggesting that we would have used Okwuegbunam. Oh, you know who might have been really useful in helping to cover big and fast TEs? Yeah, that's right--Simmons.

Reaching to take Herbert was a bunch of need based panic by our front office. We were the ones racing out to buy toilet paper at all costs in this draft.

We have Tyrod Taylor, who excels at being a game manager and not turning the ball over. Sadly, because we drafted Herbert instead of Simmons, it set off a chain reaction (not my own) that ended up costing us draft value all over the place.

I am not saying that we got nobody of any value. I think Herbert will be a good QB and that Murray will be a good LB. But compared to the value that we could have and should have had with our draft position, our draft did kind of suck.

Comment

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Taylor will just be another NFL running back: great speed, poor vision, tight hips. If u liked MGIII hesitating, you'll love Taylor.
                      I didn't like Josh Jones & wondered why people (who weren't GMs) had him going in the 1rst.

Herbert & Murray carry more value.
                      :ygdr:
                      Simmons, by himself, is worth Herbert and Murray combined--actually almost dead on based upon where the players should have been drafted. That we also could have two additional first round values made what we did just that much worse.

Further, Taylor is better than Gordon. He would have given us a more powerful runner with some speed. It would have been a nice fit. Jones is this year's Keenan Allen--a good player that unexpectedly falls a full round or more below where he should be drafted based upon quirks in team draft boards. It is not that teams valued him as a third round player, but rather when they went to draft in round two, teams found players they rated higher still on the board.

And, just to be clear, if we had traded out of #6 for picks #18 and #26 and had taken Herbert and Murray with picks #18 and #26, I would have had zero issue with that as the value would have been there.

In that scenario, we still would have been drafting Taylor at #37 and Jones at #71.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

SMH...? Does that mean so much hate? I'm not hating on the Chargers decisions...sounds like you are. If you draft BPA at position of need every year regardless, you may never find a QB that fits your team...they think Herbert can be that guy, they were fortunate to be picking where they could take him, they took him...good enough for me.

Jones? Obviously question marks, considering all the teams that passed on him...how much value does he have? Love Simmons and Taylor...but they don't hold a candle to a franchise QB.

If TT went your route, I would have readily accepted they knew what they were doing, that they didn't feel one of the top QBs fit here.... while reserving absolute judgement for a few years, to see how it turned out. As is, they felt Herbert was the guy, and got the next best thing to Simmons with Murray, and added a solid RB to a very good, but thin, stable of runners. I accept they knew what they were doing, that they executed their plan, while reserving ultimate judgement for a few years, to see how it turns out.

I'll go with their evaluation of this drafts talent, and what we needed, over your ideas or mine....and with a straight face.
                        So disagreement = hate

lisa simpson GIF

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

In post #30, you stated, That suggests that it is your view that by drafting Simmons, we would have been tanking.

Since we would have been much, much better in 2020 had we drafted Simmons first, Taylor second and Jones third, than we will be with Herbert and Murray, I thought your comment about us taking Simmons and tanking was utterly ridiculous. If any scenario is the tanking scenario, it the one in which we flushed the #6 pick on a player that we all agree will not be playing in 2020 versus one that was rated higher entering the draft than either Bosa or James, and then followed that with trading away two picks to get a player in Murray that is not as good as the one we failed to take in Simmons when he unexpectedly fell into our laps at #6.

LB was position of need, Simmons was there, and on most boards he was rated a good 10+ players higher than Herbert. LT was the biggest need of all and was so by a large margin. We could have had a player rated by multiple evaluators as a first round value in Jones for the price of only a third round pick. RB was a position of need and we could have had an elite RB option in Taylor, who was also valued by numerous commentators as a first round value. Instead, we were forced to use our 4th round pick on a lesser RB in Kelley. That pick could have been used to select Okwuegbunam, a fast TE that could have paired with Henry to create all kinds of matchup problems.

Now, we will get to watch Denver shove it up our backsides by using Fant and Okwuegbunam the exact same way I was suggesting that we would have used Okwuegbunam. Oh, you know who might have been really useful in helping to cover big and fast TEs? Yeah, that's right--Simmons.

Reaching to take Herbert was a bunch of need based panic by our front office. We were the ones racing out to buy toilet paper at all costs in this draft.

We have Tyrod Taylor, who excels at being a game manager and not turning the ball over. Sadly, because we drafted Herbert instead of Simmons, it set off a chain reaction (not my own) that ended up costing us draft value all over the place.

I am not saying that we got nobody of any value. I think Herbert will be a good QB and that Murray will be a good LB. But compared to the value that we could have and should have had with our draft position, our draft did kind of suck.

you put way too much stock in the validity of mock drafts and talking head "evaluators" player rankings. more than 1 GM said that the he thought the online mocks were about as bad as he could ever recall. i would hazard to guess that most people doing these mocks had not watched any film isolating the players and ranked more highly players from teams they watched on TV. Name over game IMO.

Before you anoint Simmons,Taylor, and Jones lets see them play on Sundays. More than 1 back has come out of Wisconsin and failed to live up to their college production. Simmons is a freak of an athlete but really does not have a true position and i will hazard to guess that our swiss army knife James is a better player. If Jones was all you think he is, there is no way in hell he goes in the third. Lots of teams nee OT. I find your "could have gone in the first" humorous. every player COULD Have gone int he first, but they didn't. He is a third round OT, nothing more..he may have a stellar career, and he may not be playing after his rookie contract. time will tell as with all the rookies. Time will also tell if Taylor is a better pro back than Kelley and if the TE out of Mizzou has anything more than speed.

Our GM, since taking over the roll has drafted more AP and PB players than any other GM. Some here focus on his misses, and sure he has had some. But they also only remember other teams hits and NOT their misses.

Comment

Working...
                          X