• Send PM

Isaiah Simmons
    JK Dobbins
    DaVon Hamilton
    Reggie Robinson II
    Joe Reed
    KJ Hill
    Anthony Gordon

Twenty-twenty hindsight is always weak sauce.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Trading a player and pick would have been another possible way to do it. The point is that I tried to be realistic by finding a team that actually traded its third round pick as close as possible to #71 because that would have been my mindset with that board at that time--not some hindsight of, "Well, Denver took him here and of course I would have known that so I would have traded exactly one pick ahead of Denver". Instead, I would have been like, "Whoa! Jones is on the board, but Cushenberry is too! How did that happen? Let's get 'em both right now!"

To me, I think it is okay to admit that Pipkins was overdrafted and that we are at least uncertain about whether or not he can be an effective NFL OT. Jones might be a steal. If both players pan out, then we have good OT depth, which is not a bad thing.

I think we fixed RT and RG and I am fine with giving Lamp one last chance to thrive at LG. But with Okung gone and Pouncey injured and in decline, I think we should have addressed both LT and OC reasonably early in the draft.

And I get that not everyone would pay a round premium to get the extra pick this year. But to me, the odds are less than 50-50 that Pouncey plays a full season and I am underwhelmed by our reserve options. I like the idea of getting Cushenberry this year so he could take over next year or even later this year if Pouncey became injured.
      Pipkins got his feet wet in 2019. He showed sufficient athleticism, as expected, to be able to survive in pass pro

I would argue that it is a sound, intelligent projection that Trey will inevitably put the necessary work in, so as to be able to anchor.

That, plus our existing population, is my basis for either drafting one of the big four OTs at #6, or not address Oline at all.

Josh Jones at #71 would no doubt be great value and a perfect Campen fit, but we already have Pipkins, and there are the given limitations on even being able to develop Oline, short term.

Comment

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Pipkins got his feet wet in 2019. He showed sufficient athleticism, as expected, to be able to survive in pass pro

I would argue that it is a sound, intelligent projection that Trey will inevitably put the necessary work in, so as to be able to anchor.

That, plus our existing population, is my basis for either drafting one of the big four OTs at #6, or not address Oline at all.

Josh Jones at #71 would no doubt be great value and a perfect Campen fit, but we already have Pipkins, and there are the given limitations on even being able to develop Oline, short term.
        I think you place a higher value on Pipkins than I do. I think that if he develops, he is maybe a reserve level player. Our front office people were the only ones on the planet that had Pipkins as a third round prospect.

I can see why he would be an NFL draft pick, but to me, he was 5th round developmental material at best based solely on athletic traits.

As for Jones, sometimes really good players fall in the draft. Jones certainly is not worse than an early 3rd round value and some had him as a first round value.

Looking forward, I simply do not see Herbert and Murray as carrying the value that I expect Simmons, Jonathan Taylor and Jones to carry. Honestly, I think I would rather have just Simmons and Taylor than Herbert and Murray. Adding a potential first round talent like Jones just makes realizing what we missed out on that much worse.

This draft was set up perfectly for us and we had to go a good long way out of the way to completely screw it up. And, unfortunately, we did.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

I think you place a higher value on Pipkins than I do. I think that if he develops, he is maybe a reserve level player. Our front office people were the ones on the planet that had Pipkins as a third round prospect.

I can see why he would be an NFL draft pick, but to me, he was 5th round developmental material at best based solely on athletic traits.

As for Jones, sometimes really good players fall in the draft. Jones certainly is not worse than an early 3rd round value and some had him as a first round value.

Looking forward, I simply do not see Herbert and Murray as carrying the value that I expect Simmons, Jonathan Taylor and Jones to carry. Honestly, I think I would rather have just Simmons and Taylor than Herbert and Murray. Adding a potential first round talent like Jones just makes realizing what we missed out on that much worse.

This draft was set up perfectly for us and we had to go a good long way out of the way to completely screw it up. And, unfortunately, we did.

:sigh:Not selecting your favorite prospects, players that you wanted on the team, does not mean they screwed the draft up....(Pretty sure our guys think they got the guys they wanted, for the most part, and are very happy with the draft)....It just means you are disappointed, and don't get to spend another year wishing/hoping for us to somehow be in the running for your guy, Lawrence.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Kingcrimson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            Really? a "redraft"? Already?

Sure, you can make it look good filling in prospects, BPA as ranked by pundits, or by fans on this board. Obviously didn't match up with what TT and Lynn had....I'm sure they stuck to their board, based on talent and our needs as they perceived them....

Now...in a couple of years, when we see what these players are really like....then you would do a redraft, I think....but knock yourselves out, I guess.
            Lol bro, literally just wanna see who people would have taken instead of who the Chargers selected. It’s just for fun and in no way am I saying the players we picked wouldn’t be any good.

Comment

• chris9341
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

It boggles my mind when I see people saying we should have drafted Simmons. Look I get it arguably best defensive player in the draft besides Brown and Okudah. Maybe if Rivers signed for one more year and we had his replacement ready to go then yes I can see us drafting Simmons or even Brown, but the fact is Rivers was not coming back and the Chargers knew that they had to draft his replacement this year. Although there is the other option we could have drafted Simmons and then tank this up coming in the hopes of drafting Trevor Lawrence. Yeah im not a fan of my teams tanking no matter what the sport is just so we can get the first pick. Im gonna assume you guys aren't either.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Simmons will bust in Arizona!
                pass it on
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

1. OT Jedrick Wills
                  2. RB Jonathan Taylor
                  3. WILL Akeem Davis-Gaither
                  4. TE Harrison Bryant
                  5. DE Bradlee Anae
                  6. WR KJ Hill
                  7. QB Anthony Gordon

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

I think you place a higher value on Pipkins than I do. I think that if he develops, he is maybe a reserve level player. Our front office people were the ones on the planet that had Pipkins as a third round prospect.

Solid takes, crusher.
                    I can live with "adequate," a "journeyman," @ OLT.
                    Four fifths of an Oline.
                    What could go wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      [/I]

:sigh:Not selecting your favorite prospects, players that you wanted on the team, does not mean they screwed the draft up....(Pretty sure our guys think they got the guys they wanted, for the most part, and are very happy with the draft)....It just means you are disappointed, and don't get to spend another year wishing/hoping for us to somehow be in the running for your guy, Lawrence.
                      SMH...failing to get the value that was easily there to be had does mean that the team screwed up its draft. It has nothing to do with players I wanted or Trevor Lawrence or any of that BS nonsense you are suggesting.

Simmons was the BPA at a position of need and should have been taken. That would have resulted in us not trading up for Murray, which should have resulted in us pocketing Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jones with our second and third round picks.

I am really not sure how anyone could argue with a straight face that Herbert and Murray carry anywhere close to the value that Simmons, Taylor and Jones combined carry.

Comment

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
                        It boggles my mind when I see people saying we should have drafted Simmons. Look I get it arguably best defensive player in the draft besides Brown and Okudah. Maybe if Rivers signed for one more year and we had his replacement ready to go then yes I can see us drafting Simmons or even Brown, but the fact is Rivers was not coming back and the Chargers knew that they had to draft his replacement this year. Although there is the other option we could have drafted Simmons and then tank this up coming in the hopes of drafting Trevor Lawrence. Yeah im not a fan of my teams tanking no matter what the sport is just so we can get the first pick. Im gonna assume you guys aren't either.
                        I am sorry, but I find your take to be pretty remarkable when it comes to the idea of tanking as the team will unquestionably be worse in 2020 with Herbert than it would have been with Simmons.

Simmons would have been a big piece in making the defense an elite unit that would always have us in games.

Unlike Simmons, Herbert likely does nothing to make us better in 2020. He will most likely be sitting behind Taylor while our defense without Simmons will not be as good as it would have been with him.

Thus, we have a much better chance of tanking with Herbert than we would have had with Simmons.

Comment

• Boltaction
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Not taking a great QB would relegate the team to many years of mediocrity and missing the playoffs. Even Rivers wasn't getting the Chargers to the playoffs, and Taylor is a big drop-off from Rivers. The Chargers are working to be great and make the playoffs every year maybe win a Superbowl. I've been a Charger fan for 50 years, I'm tired of not winning Superbowls. I want them to reach for winning a Superbowl. Not winning a couple more games in a season but never to win anything. Drafting Herbert was an absolute must.

Comment

Working...
                          X