Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

1. We are not going to keep winning with Tyrod. We barely snuck away with a victory against the lowly Bengals with Tyrod at QB. With Herbert, we very nearly beat the Super Bowl champs.

2. Every game we do not play Herbert, we delay his development.

3. We have a good chance to be a playoff team this year with Herbert. This season just got a whole lot more exciting after yesterday. That one extra game that we let Tyrod screw up so we can make a clean break from him could very well be the game that keeps us out of the playoffs.

4. Lynn will not recognize Taylor's garbage ball as screwing up because there will not be tons of INTs, just tons of positive plays not made that Herbert would have made. Lynn seems to have no understanding of this concept. He only seems to understand/value avoiding negative plays, not producing positive ones. He does not get that if Taylor had played yesterday, we would have lost by 20+ points because all of that possession we had would not have been there with the one, two, three kick offense led by Taylor.
    Patience...if we put Herbert in there now, and he struggles...and he will, all rookies do eventually, he will have Tyrod's presence behind him, and his teammates will also be wondering if they couldn't do better with an unfairly, injury benched Tyrod. I say again, put the ball in Tyrod's court. If he fails, then he will have lost the job, and the team will accept that the rookie, and his learning curve(ups and downs) as a matter of course...they will buy in. Better for Herbert, better for the team. For that matter, if Lynn is as bad a coach as some of you claim he is, and he stubbornly sticks with an ineffective Tyrod, he will be hanging himself out to dry.

I don't think Tyrod would be a dick if he didn't get another shot...but if he gets a shot, and it doesn't pan out, it's more likely he will be a staunch supporter behind Herbert.

I think Lynn will give Tyrod a few games, but if he isn't putting up wins, he will feel the locker room...and he will put the ball in Herberts hands.

The only controversy, in my opinion, is being created by impatient fans and media...when it becomes a controversy in the locker room, then we have a problem. Giving Tyrod a fair shot is the best way to avoid that...one game as the starter with this team isn't enough. Let him have a chance to show us what he has...or what he doesn't have.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Baker put up 35 points against the Bungles and we did 16 with Tyrod and almost lost the game! Disparaging an improving Browns team is not good for your credibility! :whistlin:
      Let me know when the browns finish with a winning record and then you can disparage my credibility.
      My guess is I’ll have time in the driver’s seat for decades to come based on the brown’s likelihood of success.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Let me know when the browns finish with a winning record and then you can disparage my credibility.
        My guess is I’ll have time in the driver’s seat for decades to come based on the brown’s likelihood of success.
        Missing the point.... Baker and the brownies scored 35 and the chargers scored 16....that's a 19 point difference. Whether the Browns make it to the playoffs is not relevant. Their offense did more damage to the bengals than our offense did with Tyrod. It's a straight up comparison. I know not everything is equal but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Missing the point.... Baker and the brownies scored 35 and the chargers scored 16....that's a 19 point difference. Whether the Browns make it to the playoffs is not relevant. Their offense did more damage to the bengals than our offense did with Tyrod. It's a straight up comparison. I know not everything is equal but it's close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
          I’m missing the point or are there terrible comparisons by you?

RPGs but not hand thrown grenades and definitely not horseshoes.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I’m missing the point or are there terrible comparisons by you?

RPGs but not hand thrown grenades and definitely not horseshoes.
            You get the gist...moving on!

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              I'm not worried about any of this. If he wants to start Tyrod, let him. Either Tyrod will step it up, and keep his job, which will go over well in the locker room...or he will be flat, so that not only will Herbert have won the job, but Tyrod will have lost it. No controversy...also will go over well in the locker room.

If Tyrod comes out flat against Carolina, and Lynn sticks with him...then I will question his judgement, motives, and possible agenda.

I think Tyrod, for what it's worth, will come out flat, maybe even lose, and Herbert will be in the driver seat going forward, no controversy...best possible scenario, IMO.

But as long as Tyrod is winning, let him go...the kid still needs work, we all saw that...wouldn't hurt if he sits back and continues to learn a bit more as long as Tyrod is making plays.

Whatever happens, I think we might have our QB of the future, folks...that was a very promising debut.
              I'm not so sure....... Lynn clearly values what Taylor did against CIN more then what Herbert did against KC....... Chargers are a better team than CAR so we should win the game no matter who is QB...... but if taylor is 2-0 without any picks even barely/luckily beating 2 horrible teams, Lynn will stay with him...... untill Chargers start getting blown out....... but with our defense and focusn on running out the clock our wins and losses will all be close...... which keeps Lynn employed....... and taylor on the field......

We are going to have to hope that the organization puts some pressure on him......

Lynn even said that if Taylor is not healthy, Lynn will (stupidly)simplify(which means limit) the offense to reduce risk of turnovers...... instead of sticking with the diverse play-calling that kept KC's defense off balance and opened up the running game......

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Patience...if we put Herbert in there now, and he struggles...and he will, all rookies do eventually, he will have Tyrod's presence behind him, and his teammates will also be wondering if they couldn't do better with an unfairly, injury benched Tyrod. I say again, put the ball in Tyrod's court. If he fails, then he will have lost the job, and the team will accept that the rookie, and his learning curve(ups and downs) as a matter of course...they will buy in. Better for Herbert, better for the team. For that matter, if Lynn is as bad a coach as some of you claim he is, and he stubbornly sticks with an ineffective Tyrod, he will be hanging himself out to dry.

I don't think Tyrod would be a dick if he didn't get another shot...but if he gets a shot, and it doesn't pan out, it's more likely he will be a staunch supporter behind Herbert.

I think Lynn will give Tyrod a few games, but if he isn't putting up wins, he will feel the locker room...and he will put the ball in Herberts hands.

The only controversy, in my opinion, is being created by impatient fans and media...when it becomes a controversy in the locker room, then we have a problem. Giving Tyrod a fair shot is the best way to avoid that...one game as the starter with this team isn't enough. Let him have a chance to show us what he has...or what he doesn't have.
                problem with all of that is that none of us want to waste a season before coming to the conclusion everyone already has regarding Taylor....... Chargers will not beat any teams except really bad ones with taylor at QB...... everyone on NFL network, and NFL radio agrees..... its obviously a waste of time to play Taylor.......

Chargers should have lost to CIN...... Taylor did not win that game......

With Herbert at QB, all the receivers, RB's and TE's are in play as well as the entire route tree as well as the QB running the ball......

With Taylor at QB, Allen is a wasted player because Taylor cannot zip the ball into tight windows when needed...... and won't try unless he is behind by more than one score......
                Taylor only attempted lobs up the sidelines...... ignoring the rest of the field.... and defenses know it......

Herbert made throws yesterday that Taylor has never made in his career......

Its easy not to throw p[icks if you never throw the ball over the middle...... but not taking advantage of the middle of the field will only end up losing lots of games......

Herbert proved yesterday against the best team in NFL, that the pro game is not too big for him(and he did it with almost zero reps)..... he is not totally inept...... so there is no reason to waste any more games on Taylor......

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said he didn't get word that Tyrod Taylor was unavailable for Sunday's game against the Chiefs until after the opening coin toss. His plans, and the veteran quarterback's fortunes, had been flipped by a pregame injection.

Los Angeles' QB1 was a last-minute scratch in Week 2 because he experienced complications from a pain-killer that was administered to address a rib injury, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Taylor was taken to a hospital soon after and discharged in the evening, per NFL Network's Steve Wyche. While his status for next week's game against the Panthers is not yet clear, Lynn noted after Sunday's overtime loss that Taylor would remain the Chargers' starter if he's healthy.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• bolthead123
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • San Diego
                    • I work in IT.
                    • Send PM

Sensible post. Lynn is in between a rock and a hard place because he is the coach. Benching a QB right away in favor of the "new kid" is a bad look and he risks losing the locker room.

Tyrod was named the starter and the process needs a couple more games to work itself out. A lot of the players are veterans; they understand how things work and saw that the kid could very well be the future; however, they don't want to play for someone that doesn't have their back when things aren't perfect. Tricky tight-rope. I was expecting a sub .500 season, so I don't mind waiting and see how things develop. I think Herbie is the future, but I don't want to see things get rushed before he is ready.

Fans aren't kind and tend to think in the short term. I remember when everyone was calling for Drew Bree's head during his first couple seasons with the Chargers. The guy needed time to develop and now he is a future HOF'er (despite being short and lacking arm strength...lol).

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said he didn't get word that Tyrod Taylor was unavailable for Sunday's game against the Chiefs until after the opening coin toss. His plans, and the veteran quarterback's fortunes, had been flipped by a pregame injection.

Los Angeles' QB1 was a last-minute scratch in Week 2 because he experienced complications from a pain-killer that was administered to address a rib injury, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported. Taylor was taken to a hospital soon after and discharged in the evening, per NFL Network's Steve Wyche. While his status for next week's game against the Panthers is not yet clear, Lynn noted after Sunday's overtime loss that Taylor would remain the Chargers' starter if he's healthy.
                      We hope That's a very big IF?

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm having Marty-Flutie-Brees flashbacks! If Lynn is like Marty and he sure seems like it, he wont let Herbert work through bad interception games.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Bill Walsh used to tell the story about the beginnings of the West Coast offense, he had hand picked Sam Wyche (later the 49ers assitant and Bengals/Bucs HC) to be the QB for the west coast offense for the Bengals, as a way for the expansion team to be competative. Paul Brown, then drafted Greg Cook in the top of the 1st round, and he was amazing. But Bill Walsh was determined to keep going with the plan, let Cook sit for a season (or more) and he would be able to prove Wyche was a capable QB.

Paul Brown walked up to him in practice and asked him what he was doing. Cook was the better QB, and the only person (including Sam Wyche) couldn't see it was Walsh. He finally realized that Paul Brown was right, and Cook went on to have the best rookie season of all time up to that point (with a torn rotator cuff that ended his career).

The point is that Anthony Lynn is being Bill Walsh in the sense that he is being blind to the obvious. At some point, TT or one of the assistants is going to have to have a little talk with him and talk him out of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X