• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

The Chargers have no pash rush. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. There is a giant gaping hole in our defensive front seven, and the best defensive player in the 2021 draft is available in the Top 5 at that position.

IMO, I think focusing on OT in the first round is target-fixation. The draft is deep at OT and I plan to take one in the second round. I also plan to take a OC in the 4th Round.

Target-fixation is a phenomena in battle that cost the Kido Butai to lose 3 out of 4 air craft carriers, and the war was lost for the Japanese Empire, in less than 10 minutes, in the 'the single most decisive aerial attack in naval history' in June 1942.

In the end, we simply differ on allocation.
    I agree in theory of picking best player available. But when I see the Chargers - they have such a glaring need at OT (and OC or OG) that I am more inclined to try to trade back, get your OL and more draft picks to help fill needs and what not.

But to your other point - if you are targeting OT in the 2nd round and OC in the 4th round - aren't you also reaching at those spots as maybe at the time the top talent left isn't OT or OC.

So for this Chargers team - I want the OL depth so my preference is trading back but staying in the top 10 if at all possible. Just have to hope there is an opportunity for multiple teams to want a player.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree in theory of picking best player available. But when I see the Chargers - they have such a glaring need at OT (and OC or OG) that I am more inclined to try to trade back, get your OL and more draft picks to help fill needs and what not.

But to your other point - if you are targeting OT in the 2nd round and OC in the 4th round - aren't you also reaching at those spots as maybe at the time the top talent left isn't OT or OC.

So for this Chargers team - I want the OL depth so my preference is trading back but staying in the top 10 if at all possible. Just have to hope there is an opportunity for multiple teams to want a player.
      Right now that looks like a smart option.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        ok, I've got you guys.... update me on where you're @for the top of the first,

Sewell * Ninj, Lone B, F21, Windsor UK, Jolt, dmac, 21&500. Wu, eaterfan * think it pretty much goes without saying that the all of us are penciled in here

Micah * Fleet, ghost, Jolt, boltgang74, Crusher, TopCat, Lone B, Wu, Charge!! * all eye gotta say on this guy, if we get 'em, think we oughtta find a DC that'd put us in a 3-3-5 and put Parsons and Murray @OLB w/Denzel in the middle, and w/Drue and Nick playing behind them.... would still have Malik and Emeke for deep depth.

Rousseau * Nutty, Lone B, Jolt, dmac, boltgang74 * just can't get behind this guy.... better inside than out, longer than quicker, does have production, and we don't know where his ceiling is ??

Ja'Marr * Wu, Tol, Matt Miller * just can't see it.... too much to gain by trading down and too many options in FA for me to look at seriously, not to mention that eye rarely see value this high @WR

trade down * beach, AK47, In4fun, Gzubeck, Bolt4knob, Jolt, F21, boltgang74, boltDude, topCat, Tol, eaterfan, 21&500, Windsor UK * no risk, no reward.... earn yer stripes team Tommy John

Surtain * Classic, Critty, Caslon * press corner for a zone scheme ?? goes to Cowboys in front of us anyways ??

Farley * Ninj * not afraid to be out on his own in his volunteering of talent

Kyle Pitts * Charge!! Ninj, Classic * think a minor trade down is included in this version

Slater * Powder Blue Boy, Bolt4knob, Jeremiah * huge value if Daniel is on his game/the money

Darrisaw * Wu * does he sneak into the top ten conversation, or do we get him if we trade down into the twenties ??
        Id prefer Sewell first, with trade down and get two or three OL in the first two rounds second. Plus a quality FA C to keep the newbies working as a coordinated group.

Im not on the Micah train and I’d hate a 3-3-5. Not enough size up front for me. Id prefer a 4-2-5 base D with two pass rush DEs and two bigger run stuff DTs. Im not looking to spend big money on a DT that can pass rush, put the money elsewhere and give me bigger, cheaper, run stuffing, push the pocket type of DTs. Let them keep the LBs clean.

Add in two LBs that are smaller and can play/cover in space. Maybe Drew and Murray. Add in a run stuffer at MLB on run/short yardage plays.

Big up front, fast behind them. That’s what I’d like on D.

And a decent, above average OL. It doesn’t have to be the best, but it needs to be competent.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I would love to get a stud OL to protect Herbert. But if no OL are worth drafting where we pick, do we overdraft one, try and trade down and hope someone is there later when we pick, or pick the best guy?
          Darn good question. And its not time to answer that until pre draft. Hopefully another OT steps up as a top 10 pick.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

They are coached to break-down into compression tackles, which translate into higher probability of stripping a ball carrier. Executed wrong, it looks like poor tackling.

Take Kenneth Murray blowing up S Rayshawn Jenkins at the the LOS, that was an execution of a compression tackle that became friendly fire.
            I see many tackles with no effort to strip the ball. Just a big hit attempt.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Chill. Have you bothered to look at the OT available in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds? Have you? I'm not panicking because there is talent at OT in the first three rounds. I disagree strongly with waiting until the later rounds with getting a talented pass-rusher.
              The glut of OL help available in this draft is exactly the blessing we need! We can get Sewell in the first another good prospect in the second - I love your idea of a second round OT too!
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Might be nitpicking but he wasn't even blocked and he started celebrating not realizing he caused the fumble.
                little less lookatme and more heads up would have been nice to see

Edit: obviously its easy to fall in love with MP
                but I'm flabbergasted that any of you smart people can justify going anything but OL.
                If we had the number 1 defense with Parsons next year I bet we still lose many close games with our offense getting destroyed
                I'm not trying to reduce the argument but we don't even have a reasonable choice in the matter, trade down, fine but the first pick has to be OL and everyone knows it, 2 of the first 3 HAVE to be a gamble at protecting what projects to be your most valuable asset in Herbert. Herbert changes everything quite literally
                I tend to agree...... if Sewell is there we may have to take him..... but if Sewell is gone, Parsons may be the best player left in draft...might have impact of Seau...... anyone have concerns about a player taking the whole year off? will he be in shape or will he be out of shape and get hurt as soon as he starts practicing for Chargers?

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Id prefer Sewell first, with trade down and get two or three OL in the first two rounds second. Plus a quality FA C to keep the newbies working as a coordinated group.

Im not on the Micah train and I’d hate a 3-3-5. Not enough size up front for me. Id prefer a 4-2-5 base D with two pass rush DEs and two bigger run stuff DTs. Im not looking to spend big money on a DT that can pass rush, put the money elsewhere and give me bigger, cheaper, run stuffing, push the pocket type of DTs. Let them keep the LBs clean.

Add in two LBs that are smaller and can play/cover in space. Maybe Drew and Murray. Add in a run stuffer at MLB on run/short yardage plays.

Big up front, fast behind them. That’s what I’d like on D.

And a decent, above average OL. It doesn’t have to be the best, but it needs to be competent.
                  Actually in today's NFL, with so many quick passing offenses, pressure up the middle is far more important than outside pressure that will rarely have enough time to get there..... Donald of Rams changes games with his pressure and run stuffing ability...... other teams send blitzes up the middle of our OL and get through almost every time...... The quickest way to get a great pass rush is by blitzing..... hard to draft 2 great DE's like Bosa..... Blitzing buys you the time to eventually build your DL.....

Parsons would be adding a 2nd every down LBer for our team and a second great blirtzer...... as long as we get a smart of coach to take advantage of them....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Nagumo's Dilemma, Dick Best, and The Jimmy Thach 'Weave', trust me on this one, you're gonna love this. Looks a little cheezy, best documentary on the subject I've ever seen.
                    Looking forward to watching this !
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Looking forward to watching this !
                      Iron fist attack needed!

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I tend to agree...... if Sewell is there we may have to take him..... but if Sewell is gone, Parsons may be the best player left in draft...might have impact of Seau...... anyone have concerns about a player taking the whole year off? will he be in shape or will he be out of shape and get hurt as soon as he starts practicing for Chargers?
                        Not too concerned, manageable obstacle
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I see many tackles with no effort to strip the ball. Just a big hit attempt.
                          Yep...the Launchwhiffy Friendly Fire Special...

Comment

Working...
                          X