Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

In the OLINE only scenario with Sewell gone, I would select......

Walker Little (OT)
    In the second round............

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Trade Mike Williams for Orlando Brown, then take DL Barmore, otherwise trade down.

In different mock scenarios, your graded best by taking higher graded position of need, commodity available and scheme fit. Just guessing Staley may get defensive playmakers for his defense first and use free agency and depth of draft to address OL.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

In the second round............
        No I’ll take him at #13.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

He is such a disaster in waiting pick for us at 13. 2 years removed from playing a competitive snap makes me wonder in his case as to just how he in going to make the leap to starting OLT in the NFL? We always squawk about the Chargers taking damaged goods and the only thing that could make him more of a red flag for 13 would be if he played for Notre Dame.

I have him as a 2nd rounder, maybe the workouts change all of that and prove you right as truthfully you are much more of a draftnik than I ever hope to be. The guy just scares me is all, plain and simple. Maybe he proves me wrong like our first rounder did last year as I was on the Simmons train BIG time..

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

At worst he is a great OG in a ZBS which is what we will be. Same as AVT is slated to be.

Sounds like you watched that video with that old school 33 year scout with the Giants and suddenly saying he is over rated.
            Nope. Have no idea what that giant scout did.

I'm going off analytics where he had more miss pass blocks and run blocks per analysis than the hype he is getting for being so great. He size is less than ideal to play tackle. And also on film and gameplan of what he needed to do. I saw him show great agility and awareness and technique. He is a very good prospect and I can see why he is talked about and being pro ready. But, If I'm drafting him, it is to have him play LG where I think he can be successful in the NFL. Same for ATV, if I'm drafting him it is to play LG.
            Creed Humphrey, IMO can be a very good offensive lineman in NFL. He is a player that will be able to make the calls at center and lead a unit. He also is versatile enough to play guard or big enough to even play tackle if needed. And his 28 pressure allowed on 1300 snaps is extremely consistent.
            And we have Herbert to protect.

I see why Ninja would go Walker Little because he has left tackle traits and was a star recruit that made a name for himself as a freshman in Pac 10. That is not easy to do for any lineman. I'm just not as confident about him because he hasn't played football in 2 years and is coming off the injury.

I would love to see Slater go first like Jeremiah has him. And Sewell fall to #13. But that's a pipe dream.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I'm going off analytics where he had more miss pass blocks and run blocks per analysis than the hype he is getting for being so great. He size is less than ideal to play tackle. And also on film and gameplan of what he needed to do. I saw him show great agility and awareness and technique. He is a very good prospect and I can see why he is talked about and being pro ready. But, If I'm drafting him, it is to have him play LG where I think he can be successful in the NFL. Same for ATV, if I'm drafting him it is to play LG.
              Creed Humphrey, IMO can be a very good offensive lineman in NFL. He is a player that will be able to make the calls at center and lead a unit. He also is versatile enough to play guard or big enough to even play tackle if needed. And his 28 pressure allowed on 1300 snaps is extremely consistent.

I see why Ninja would go Walker Little because he has left tackle traits and was a star recruit that made a name for himself as a freshman in Pac 10. That is not easy to do for any lineman. I'm just not as confident about him because he hasn't played football in 2 years and is coming off the injury.

I would love to see Slater go first like Jeremiah has him. And Sewell fall to #13. But that's a pipe dream.
              So PFF? The UK guys that never played the game?

You take their word over Daniel Jeremiah? Even that old school scout only degraded him for being 6'3" though he said he was a good player. He also didnt like that he and Sewell opted out of the 2020 season.

Here is a blurb about PFF:

PFF has been criticized by the analytics community regarding the accuracy and veracity of its ratings. In contrast to the purely quantitative ratings released by sources like Football Outsiders, TeamRankings, and numberFire, PFF uses qualitative and opinion-based grading as the root of its 0-100 Player Grades -- not its advanced statistics. As such, the 0-100 Player Grades are not truly quantitative and could be seen as being prone to bias, poor sample sizing, or other issues.

When it comes to PFF, they dont really sway me much. They are dudes at their computer monitors like us watching these guys. I just dont agree with how they come up with some of their findings. Now im not saying Slater is a lock to be a great LT. Maybe he isnt but surely he would make a great OG. There are a few NFL OTs that are 6'4" and are very good.

That said id consider Walker as well but again, id trade down a little. Im not concerned at all with Walkers injury or his time away. Sure he may be rusty but he has been working out as we saw in that videos and he has months of TC and preseason to shake the rust off.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-07-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

In the OLINE only scenario with Sewell gone, I would select......

Walker Little (OT)
                Some pundits said he fits a vertical passing offense because he is not a mauler. Sounds like a good fit for us with JH. We can always get a mauling RT.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

You take their word over Daniel Jeremiah? Even that old school scout degraded him for being 6'3" though he said he was a good player. He also didnt like that he and Sewell opted out of the 2020 season.

PFF has been criticized by the analytics community regarding the accuracy and veracity of its ratings. In contrast to the purely quantitative ratings released by sources like Football Outsiders, TeamRankings, and numberFire, PFF uses qualitative and opinion-based grading as the root of its 0-100 Player Grades -- not its advanced statistics. As such, the 0-100 Player Grades are not truly quantitative and could be seen as being prone to bias, poor sample sizing, or other issues.

When it comes to PFF, they dont really sway me much. They are dudes at their computer monitors like us watching these guys. I just dont agree with how they come up with some of their findings. Now im not saying Slater is a lock to be a great LT. Maybe he isnt but surely he would make a great OG. There are a few NFL OTs that are 6'4" and are very good.

That said id consider Walker as well but again, id trade down a little. Im not concerned at all with Walkers injury or his time away. Sure he may be rusty but he has been working out as we saw in that videos and he has months of TC and preseason to shake the rust off.
                  It should be forum policy that when anyone starts pulling pff grades out of their asses, and use them as key points in any arguement, they should have to post the above bolded as a disclaimer at the end of their post...

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

whoa. I agree, any dude with luscious McConaughey hair that intentionally buzzes it off lacks a minimum mental capacity and/or stability. The obvious link to Teo’s Catfish cannot be under-assumed.
                    I blame the Notre Dame football program...where we teach you how to score on the football field...and the theory of how to get to 2nd base but no more.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

It should be forum policy that when anyone starts pulling pff grades out of their asses, and use them as key points in any arguement, they should have to post the above bolded as a disclaimer at the end of their post...
                      Or something. I assumed it came from PFF as everyone seems to use it and call it concrete evidense. I just dont agree with it a lot of the times when it explains how thy came to their conclusions

Its funny, i always thought they must have this elaborate tape room with a big screen with some tools set up to pick up things when wathcing plays and then when i watched a video of their guys looking at players on regular computer monitors like we use and they werent even using the full monitor size for it i was like WTF! lol

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Even if he gets to pick #7-8 I would consider trading up to grab him. Give up our 1st, 3rd this year and maybe a 3rd next year year and it might be worth it. IMHO!

:2cents:

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

You take their word over Daniel Jeremiah? Even that old school scout only degraded him for being 6'3" though he said he was a good player. He also didnt like that he and Sewell opted out of the 2020 season.

InThat said id consider Walker as well but again, id trade down a little. Im not concerned at all with Walkers injury or his time away. Sure he may be rusty but he has been working out as we saw in that videos and he has months of TC and preseason to shake the rust off.
                          Nope. I don't use PFF other than to see how they rank.

I like to use the analytics from sports info solutions.
                          Bill James is their strategic advisor/owner.
                          Their lead football guy was a scout with New Orleans Saints from 2010-2013 and has a degree from Columbia.Those Saints drafts from 2010-2013 were pretty good. Not sure how much impact he had as a scout. But he was part of their scouting department. Compare the Chargers 2010-2013 draft to the Saints for those same years and it's easy to tell who did better.
                          I appreciate their deep dive stats and analytics they do. And the in depth explanation of how they use each play of the game film, stats and analytics to come up with a player grade.
                          They have a role based grading system and a horizontal draft board. I think the former Saints scout and his staff may know a thing or two about building a draft board.
                          ​​​​​​
                          They like Slater as a prospect. But they don't have him higher than Sewell like Jeremiah does.

I always go back and look at tape.
                          And make up my own mind.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X