• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Darrisaw is not a finished product. Slater may be close to it since his technique is so advanced.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

IMV AVT has third highest floor at OL (Creed is fourth.) There is consistency and grit, if not perceived as a good fit otherwise.

Our Oline could shake out any number of ways. The hole at OLT can be filled other than an overdraft of Darrisaw @#13 :shock:.

One nugget from Daniel Popper's YouTube chat last night,
      was that the Chargers are working doubletime to enhance Bulaga's availability. There will be a comprehensive program ala Whitworth at LAR. Nutritionist. Chiropractor. Acupuncturist. Who knows. That is still a question mark in any case.

I like AVT, the sure thing, albeit IOL, @#13 over Darrisaw. Roll the dice later at OLT. I now like Little, D'Ante, Spencer Brown. There are others. Food for thought.
      I miss the YouTube stream. When did Popper mention this on the stream time wise? I would like to hear more.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Lazy hand placement has no reflection on work ethic or desire to improve.... It is a coachable technique issue. The young man was a two-star recruit coming at a high school and has excelled by any measure versus the strongest division of pass rushers in college football. Every single lineman coming out of college has issues to clean up. The fact that he has shown year upon your improvement and is being talked about as a top 15 pick in the NFL as a two-star college recruit says a hell of a lot more about his work ethic and desire then anything listed above.
        Brandon Thorn brought up the same effort concerns for Darrisaw.
        I will be studying and grading the offensive line for Bleacher Report’s coverage of the 2021 NFL Draft. You can read our first big board and my early position rankings here. This week we will take an in-depth look at Virginia Tech LT Christian Darrisaw and USC OL Alijah Vera-Tucker, two of the most promising prospects in the 2021 class. I wound up being high on both of them, but especially Vera-Tucker.

• Biggest concerns: Effort, playing down to competition, set points, over reliance on upper body in the run game

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Brandon Thorn brought up the same effort concerns for Darrisaw.
          I will be studying and grading the offensive line for Bleacher Report’s coverage of the 2021 NFL Draft. You can read our first big board and my early position rankings here. This week we will take an in-depth look at Virginia Tech LT Christian Darrisaw and USC OL Alijah Vera-Tucker, two of the most promising prospects in the 2021 class. I wound up being high on both of them, but especially Vera-Tucker.

I would understand these concerns it was brought to light vis a vis production. Look at the rushing numbers in his blocking Lane. Look at his pass protection numbers Vs high quality draftable Edge rushers. Please show me the list of other left tackles, that project to stay at left tackle, with comparable production with ascending year to year growth.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

And I'll be clear Darrisaw is not my first choice for our pick. I think our choice is going to be highly dependent on what happens before us. However people crapping on him yet overlooking his tremendous growth, experience vs high level edge players, improvement, size, balance and footwork in my opinion can't see theb the forest for the trees. I would think our new assistant line coach who comes from Pittsburgh will turn him into an absolute stud left tackle. There's something to be said for drafting a man with these physical abilities with this larger chip and shoulder. He was under recruited and now he is going into the draft being underappreciated.

Be that as it may I do think there are a lot of options we can go . I'm just saying I would not be a disappointed if he's the pick.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              And I'll be clear Darrisaw is not my first choice for our pick. I think our choice is going to be highly dependent on what happens before us. However people crapping on him yet overlooking his tremendous growth, experience vs high level edge players, improvement, size, balance and footwork in my opinion can't see theb the forest for the trees. I would think our new assistant line coach who comes from Pittsburgh will turn him into an absolute stud left tackle. There's something to be said for drafting a man with these physical abilities with this larger chip and shoulder. He was under recruited and now he is going into the draft being underappreciated.

Be that as it may I do think there are a lot of options we can go . I'm just saying I would not be a disappointed if he's the pick.
              Same - totally the same.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

same thing was said about bosa

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

People picking apart Darrisaw remind me of people picking apart Herbert in favor of Simmons last year.

13 vs 20 is not a reach, and he may not even get to 13. This is what a mid first round LT looks like. If he didnt have these issues, he would go 8 at the worst.

Just a reminder, when guys like Meinerz run downfield and lunge at people, ending up as a beached whale, that is the absolute WORST part of their film, not the best. That will be drilled out of them in the NFL.

Big guys need a certain economy of movement. Because Darrisaw usually plays with good bend and relies on athleticism over technique, he puts extra strain on his quads, groin, and core. When you see "plodding" what you may actually be seeing is fatigue. Remember, fatigue makes cowards of us all. Especially if he had a core groin injury.

Better technique reduces strain and fatigue. Better hand placement reduces strain and fatigue. Better training and conditioning at the NFL level means less fatigue.

Things like not sealing well on combo blocks are a bigger concern but can also be corrected. Expecting him to run around like a WR is not reasonable. He will get better, but never like that.

I prefer Little at 47 and Brown at 88, but they may not be there either. There's an element of blind bidding here, and the earlier you pick the less unknown there is. He is not a bad pick or a reach at 13.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    same thing was said about bosa
                    Not really. Bosa was noted to have a high motor, just he didn't finish plays often enough. Bosa's technique was highly evolved and he was ridiculously smart. I don't see those qualities in Darrisaw as far as his position on the OL.

POSITIVES The son of former first-rounder John Bosa and the nephew of former first-rounder Eric Kumerow, Joey Bosa has football in his blood. Now he's bested his elders, both of whom were picked No...

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Also with prep sports starting so early and with so much information and private coaches out there the concept of over development comes into play. Some of these guys have been prepping for the NFL since grade school. They're not going to get too much better at technique. Guys like Tua are over developed.

Herbert was not over developed so had more ceiling to grow, and grow quickly, in a full time environment. I don't know why Darrisaw was a 2* recruit out of HS, either a late bloomer or a lack of proper development, but his technique is behind guys like Slater and AVT but also improving. I perfer better technique coming out, but technique can be improved. Arm length, bend, and balance can't. There are 3 LTs in the draft I would be okay starting at LT day one. Sewell, Darrisaw, Little. Everyone else is a project or a guard. Castanzo retired. Okung, Fisher, and Villanueva are aging or injured free agents. Tevi is a backup. The demand for starting LTs exceeds supply.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

Not really. Bosa was noted to have a high motor, just he didn't finish plays often enough. Bosa's technique was highly evolved and he was ridiculously smart. I don't see those qualities in Darrisaw as far as his position on the OL.

POSITIVES The son of former first-rounder John Bosa and the nephew of former first-rounder Eric Kumerow, Joey Bosa has football in his blood. Now he's bested his elders, both of whom were picked No...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/13/jo...couting-report
                        I was responding to the poster who implied that someone who has great technique (Slater) has little upside.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Just wanted to pause and reflect on how much I’m enjoying this draft process. There’s no shortage of intriguing questions this year and I’ve had a good time unpacking them with y’all.

Here’s some of my favorite bones to pick:

Can Telesco pick a quality o-lineman?
                          Trenchers vs. shiny toy enthusiasts.
                          How much juice does Staley get in the war room?
                          BPA vs. BVA vs. need.
                          Will the Bengals go Sewell or Chase?
                          Which QB/QBs are busts?
                          Which OTs will move to guard?
                          How much does arm length matter?
                          Pro day inflation numbers?
                          How much do bloodlines matter?
                          How bad is Farley’s back?
                          Who’s OT3?
                          Is Walker Little ready after 2 years off?
                          Can Sammie small school make it?

Anyways, just wanted to say I’m grateful.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X