• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    Just wanted to pause and reflect on how much I’m enjoying this draft process. There’s no shortage of intriguing questions this year and I’ve had a good time unpacking them with y’all.

Here’s some of my favorite bones to pick:

Can Telesco pick a quality o-lineman?
    Trenchers vs. shiny toy enthusiasts.
    How much juice does Staley get in the war room? Same as McLynn: Tommy John have already established the culture.
    BPA vs. BVA vs. need.
    Will the Bengals go Sewell or Chase? Bengals select Chase. Sewell might drop - short arms, not a lot of starts. GMs are in a big hurry for players to produce - their jobs depend on it when drafting at the top. Sewell has started very few games - that matters to GMs. Jeremiah isn't alone in preferring Slater over Sewell. I've written before that Darrisaw might be the first LT taken. Sewell, with his rawness and 33 inch arms might drop a bit.
    Which QB/QBs are busts?
    Which OTs will move to guard? Watching Cosmi, i've thought he might end up a guard - sue me!
    How much does arm length matter?
    Pro day inflation numbers?
    How much do bloodlines matter?
    How bad is Farley’s back? I don't know...latest medical eval was reportedly very positive; his situation reminds me of Cromartie, who sat out his last year at Florida State due to injury & fell to pick #19. Farley will go by the early 20's.
    Who’s OT3?
    Is Walker Little ready after 2 years off? No....he hasn't played many game before the layoff. Watching him a bit more, I think he needs some time.
    Can Sammie small school make it? Not if TT selects him in the draft.

Anyways, just wanted to say I’m grateful.
    I threw in my two cents:

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I threw in my two cents:
      Good stuff.

One point on which I’ll disagree is Cosmi. Too tall to play guard. Plays too upright, anyways. Guards need to be lower, thicker, squattier.

He’ll be a tackle—maybe not a great tackle, maybe a right tackle—but when all’s said and done, he’ll be a tackle.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• PAnick
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Regarding Staley's influence pre-draft, on the big board and the war room, I'm thinking TT will REALLY be paying attention to Staley's takes, along with Staley's staff...TT is in the hot seat, and I think he realizes he needs a new set of eyes to opine and help steer him to pick the right players for Staley's system...if not, TT is most probably on the chopping block in 2022...
        And where does young Spanos fit in this decision-making plan?

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Why are people saying its a committee approach? Wd have no idea what’s going on in the draft room. Obviously the OC and OL coach have no input. Or Rivers when he was here .

Screw River and his needs, he’s good enough to compensate.

Please don’t make the same mistake with Herbert.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            Intelligence>speed
            That's it ?
            Not when your speed is pedestrian.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by PAnick View Post

John will be kept in the loop.
              He’ll ask questions, but doubt he’ll offer much input.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Good stuff.

One point on which I’ll disagree is Cosmi. Too tall to play guard. Plays too upright, anyways. Guards need to be lower, thicker, squattier.

He’ll be a tackle—maybe not a great tackle, maybe a right tackle—but when all’s said and done, he’ll be a tackle.
                I believe he’s asking to be sue’d......

plenty of guard material he is too good in space not in a phone booth.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

What do you think of last Casserly mock ?
                  Is it possible the Chargers pick AVT when are avalaible at 13 ...

1- T. Lance (draft capital)
                  2- J. Horn
                  3- C. Farley
                  4- C. Darrisaw ???????????

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

I don't think I have ever been more conflicted about a draft than I am now... NFL.com has TT at a respectable #11

With the 2021 NFL Draft right around the corner, Gregg Rosenthal ranks the general managers by their drafting prowess. Who has the savviest scouting eye? Which guys needs to re-evaluate their process? Check out the full pecking order!

I think because of this I need to be less emotionally invested. Honestly if Sewell or Slater aren't there I hope WR or CB.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Horn's 40 time has been reported as two different times and so I listed both times that I have read.

I disagree with the analysis you have offered regarding Horn. I think the penalty issue has been wildly overstated in negative commentary about him. I also think Ramsey, while definitely good, is slightly overrated.
                      Horn has committed a lot of penalties. That is a fact. He had a lot of plays in college that he got away with, that will get him flagged. That being said, it is not the penalty thing that is the issue. The issue is that he is drawing a lot of penalties because he gets himself in bad position, and then when he tries to make a play on the ball, he has to go through the player to do it. I don't care about the penalties as much as it is an indicator of being in bad position that NFL WR will burn him badly on.

Now, Horn will become a pretty good player, but I think he is going to get burned some in the short term. I just don't see guys like Horn who really are not into the mental side of being a CB, ever turning into the more cerebral type of players. I just don't see him ever being the Ramsey style of player because of it. I think you put him at outside CB, and then he stays as a L or R CB for the next 10 years, after a rough rookie season. And by rough I don't mean he is hopeless or anything, just that he is going to have the usual sort of up and down rookie year. But he needs S help against the top notch WR, he can't just get plopped down in the Star position, and travel all over the field..

Surtain is much slower and less athletic than Horn is. But he puts his body in better position and is a better player because he plays the field better. HE doesn't give a WR the position to get away from him. Surtain is in control, unlike Horn who is along for the ride with the WR. Surtain is more NFL ready. But he definitely doesn't have the man to man, coverage, range, speed to travel with everyone. I think he will be better initially, but may not have the upside of Horn long term, because of being less athletic, and not having as much speed, although he plays faster.

In short, if people are looking for a Star type of player in the Jalen Ramsey type of player, I don't think this draft has one. Most draft's don't.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Yeah, chasing Jalen Ramsey is a bad idea. I don't think there is a Jalen Ramsey in this draft.

I watched Horn vs. Auburn 2020 and Horn vs. Florida 2020 today. He is grabby for a lot of the reasons Steve was talking about. He will have to clean that up. But I think there's a bigger reason for not taking him @#13. He doesn't tackle very well. He doesn't seem interested in tackling and has very poor form. One time (vs. Florida) I was afraid he'd hurt himself. He didn't bend his knees at all and went into the tackle with his head down. He exposed his kneck and planted his helmet straight into the ground... very dangerous. He may be the Antonio Cromartie of tackling. Staley said he wanted CB's that can tackle. Surely he wasn't talking about Horn.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by PAnick View Post

I'm guessing Staley has Baby Spanos's respect...for now...

Comment

Working...
                          X