• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    side note: My guy last year was Justin Herbert. I called it loud and often before the draft, like really on a few others here. I just saw it - he has the complete toolset to be elite: brains, athletic, mobile (enough) and the best pro arm of the top 3. I was elated MIA went for what they thought was the shiny Bama bauble.
    I never saw it in Tua either. So happy we sidestepped that grenade.

My reservation about Herbert was that he never seemed to go off-script and I consider that essential for success in the NFL. Wasn’t sure if he could do it because it didn’t appear on film.

Now I know that it was Oregon’s offensive system that constrained Herbert’s creativity with the ball. It made him seem robotic.

Of course now we all know Justin’s super good off-script.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

First play from scrimmage he knocks 2 guys on their ass with 1 block on a screen.

Second play from scrimmage he turns around and watches the RB instead of hitting the guy in front if him.

He can be really frustrating.
      Ha! Yeah, saw that too. Too bad the RB got tripped up before he he could capitalize on Darrisaw’s double whammy. Woulda been a TD.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I never saw it in Tua either. So happy we sidestepped that grenade.

My reservation about Herbert was that he never seemed to go off-script and I consider that essential for success in the NFL. Wasn’t sure if he could do it because it didn’t appear on film.

Now I know that it was Oregon’s offensive system that constrained Herbert’s creativity with the ball. It made him seem robotic.

Of course now we all know Justin’s super good off-script.
        Well the offensive system had a lot to do with it.... But the talent level at the skill positions he played with at Oregon we're so bad compared to previous Oregon regimes. The guy that took over for Chip Kelly couldn't recruit for s***. Oregon went from a recruiting Powerhouse in California Texas in Florida to almost falling off the recruiting map.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

First play from scrimmage he knocks 2 guys on their ass with 1 block on a screen.

Second play from scrimmage he turns around and watches the RB instead of hitting the guy in front if him.

He can be really frustrating.
          Actually was condensed film so marks were 2nd and 7 and 3rd and 20 on those snaps.

He down blocks well. He pivots well. He combo blocks well. He sponges well. Blocks well on screens. Moves better to his right run blocking, those outside zones to his edge he can get lost in space when he loses touch with the LG and sometimes he struggles to find someone at the second level after coming off a combo block. When he finds someone, they don't make the play.

Sometimes you want to tell him that if he doesn't know what to do, just hit someone. But I think that's fixable. McNeill had some of these same issues.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Smh with all this “be okay” with Darrisaw talk
            Do y’all understand how rare a skillset he has?
            not many dudes can do what he does
            and it just so happens to be exactly what we need

we will be absolutely LUCKY if he’s there at 13

LUCKY
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

People are knocking him because VT asked him to do a lot of finesse blocking and every different type of block. He's more prepped for a zone scheme than a lot of guys coming out and has pretty much every tool in his bag already, he just needs more confidence and assertiveness in those tools at times. Looks like he's thinking instead of playing, which will happen when VT is asking him to do pretty much everything. He also looks like he came to football a little late or had poor prep coaching. All fixable. And really the bad tape just stands out, he had like 3 bad snaps in the 40 I just watched and 2 of them didn't matter. I've never seen him bent back like Slater. Thats much harder to fix.

I also think his struggle moving to the left is groin related, thought that since I read about it back in March.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

It's prolly Darrisaw at #13, Dude.

Great draft season !

:smile:
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

People are knocking him because VT asked him to do a lot of finesse blocking and every different type of block. He's more prepped for a zone scheme than a lot of guys coming out and has pretty much every tool in his bag already, he just needs more confidence and assertiveness in those tools at times. Looks like he's thinking instead of playing, which will happen when VT is asking him to do pretty much everything. He also looks like he came to football a little late or had poor prep coaching. All fixable. And really the bad tape just stands out, he had like 3 bad snaps in the 40 I just watched and 2 of them didn't matter. I've never seen him bent back like Slater. Thats much harder to fix.

I also think his struggle moving to the left is groin related, thought that since I read about it back in March.
                  You are describing Pipkins in some respects.

NFL defenses study tape, scheme to attack weak OL links, and destroy rookie offensive lineman.

Rationalize that someone will become tougher. Coddle. Seriously, what results are to be expected ?

Comment

• Tol
                    From Accounting
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Carlsbad
                    • Send PM

So there was allegedly a social media snafu from the Chargers’ official account Monday where they said they'd traded up to No. 11 and then deleted it? While I do think Tom Telesco has no qualms about trading up to “get his guy” on the offensive line, this mock draft scenario works in the Chargers’ favor. While they miss out on Sewell and Slater, they get their franchise left tackle who is ready to start Day One. The Chargers currently have one left tackle on the roster. Darrisaw could also play right tackle should LA need. -Link
                    First time I've heard of this. I wonder if it was maybe because TT was putting out trade feelers. He keeps his cards close to his vest though. If Chargers feel Gettleman could snag their guy, putting out a pre draft trade feeler to get an idea what his price is to move from 11 to 13, which should be less than trading ahead of him. Could also deter other teams from jumping us. Just a thought.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

So Darrisaw played really well against Clemson, which was the game after the one he sat out.

On VT’s 2nd possession, he annihilated a DT on the 5 yd line, paving the way for a walk in TD run. 202 total rushing yards by VT, mostly through his hole.

At 10 min in the 4th quarter he re-aggravated the groin injury and didn’t finish the game. It looked painful. But before then he played flawlessly in both pass pro and run game.
                      It’s my understanding that it was assumed to be a groin injury that he played through, very well ( PFF graded #1 pass AND #1 run blocker), but when having MRI in post season it was determined to be a core muscle tear that ran from groin to upper core. Chris is a grown ass man. One of reasons I get pissed when I hear people questioning his effort or work ethic. He’s going to be a starting LT in NFL for years

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

It’s my understanding that it was assumed to be a groin injury that he played through it very well ( PFF graded #1 pass AND #1 run blocker) but when having MRI in post season it was determined to be a core muscle tear that ran from groin to upper core. Chris is a grown ass man. One of reasons I get pissed when I hear people questioning his effort or work ethic. He’s going to be a starting LT in NFL for years
                        I don't care if you like it or not.
                        Toughness is something we must have at OL.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                          • Send PM

He was totally overlooked in HS and VT was his only P5 offer. He had to prep a year at Fork Union for grades. Fork Union is a pretty damn good place to prep. If you google program you’ll see a bunch of NFL alumni. He showed up as a freshman at Tech 6’4 290. Started in place of injured LT in his first game as a Freshman against Florida State and has been starter ever since. He has gotten better every year. He seems to be very dedicated to improving his craft.

Comment

Working...
                          X