Clear All
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I don't care if you like it or not.
    Toughness is something we must have at OL.
    He played exceptionally well at P5 with a torn core muscle all season. Gave up zero sacks, handled some pretty decent, DL but I need to just suck it up because he’s not tough enough....uh....sure. You don’t like him for Bolts that’s fine. If that’s your knock on him then defend that hill for the next decade while he plays well for somebody, maybe even the Chargers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

He played exceptionally well at P5 with a torn core muscle all season. Gave up zero sacks, handled some pretty decent, DL but I need to just suck it up because he’s not tough enough....uh....sure. You don’t like him for Bolts that’s fine. If that’s your knock on him then defend that hill for the next decade while he plays well for somebody, maybe even the Chargers.
      I’d recommend we disregard macho man while he snaps off his slim Jim, and prioritize SKILL and TALENT in our OL players. More than a few of the tired never-were’s, never-becomes, and never-will-be OL flops we’ve watched cycle thru the last 5+ years were lauded for toughness. I can’t recall how many times we looked forward to this or that guy who’d bring a measure of toughness to the line.

They just couldn’t fucking block. Tough ain’t good for shit if you cannot block NFL defenders

A half dozen posts up someone (forget) said we’d be lucky to get him at 13. I agree with that. He’s the guy
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

You are describing Pipkins in some respects.

NFL defenses study tape, scheme to attack weak OL links, and destroy rookie offensive lineman.

Rationalize that someone will become tougher. Coddle. Seriously, what results are to be expected ?
        Usually by running various twist/loop stunts and line games. This is how teams killed our previous OL. Feeney and Lamp were especially susceptible.

OL needs to play disciplined and not overreact. Those d-line schemes are a good trap for OL players who try to get overly aggressive.

But on tape Darrisaw handles stunts and games—it’s one of his strengths. It’s the benefit of the smooth o-lineman vs. the guys who focus on blasting their target on every down.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• chargerkdb
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You want an OT that pass blocks with footwork finesse of a ballet dancer and run blocks like a raging rhino. Most guys are better at one than the other. The guys who are good at both are rare. The guys who are great at both are in the HOF.

These guys are being graded right now on potential and coach ability. Not one of Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw is a bad pick today. We can make the assessment 3-4 years from now because every one of them is going to step up to the bigs. Every guy they face is as good as the best players they faced in college. The ones that can learn will get better. The guys whose only trait is tough guy will be watching them on TV

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Usually by running various twist/loop stunts and line games. This is how teams killed our previous OL. Feeney and Lamp were especially susceptible.

OL needs to play disciplined and not overreact. Those d-line schemes are a good trap for OL players who try to get overly aggressive.

But on tape Darrisaw handles stunts and games—it’s one of his strengths. It’s the benefit of the smooth o-lineman vs. the guys who focus on blasting their target on every down.
            Fine.
            Now about the problems out in space.
            It is a reach to say that is a product of a core muscle injury.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Shumway
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Perth Australia
              • Send PM

The excitement is really building and as we approach the start of the draft, the idea of giving up draft capital and moving up for Sewell has really grown on me. But I suspect that that is a function of the emotional biases that we all carry. I know that the data shows many first rounders fail and trading up is probabilistically a bad idea. But we rationalise that Sewell is worth it. I genuinely feel like he could be the exception that makes it worth it.

But it’s better to stay objective and play the averages. I’ll love it if we trade up to get Sewell, but I’ll know that it’s more likely a bad move than a good move. From my very amateur perspective I’m starting to lean towards Darrisaw, Tryon, Melifonwu / Adebo as the first three picks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Shumway View Post
                The excitement is really building and as we approach the start of the draft, the idea of giving up draft capital and moving up for Sewell has really grown on me. But I suspect that that is a function of the emotional biases that we all carry. I know that the data shows many first rounders fail and trading up is probabilistically a bad idea. But we rationalise that Sewell is worth it. I genuinely feel like he could be the exception that makes it worth it.

But it’s better to stay objective and play the averages. I’ll love it if we trade up to get Sewell, but I’ll know that it’s more likely a bad move than a good move. From my very amateur perspective I’m starting to lean towards Darrisaw, Tryon, Melifonwu / Adebo as the first three picks.
                Darrisaw or possibly AVT at 13 is the way I think the team will go

Unless the trade is a pure "points chart" type value trade -- which per the points chart is a 1/2 for a 1/4 (which by the way is what the Chiefs and Ravens agreed for ZeusII - a mid second rounder using the points chart) - but these emotion driven trades by fans on twitter and this forum - giving up god knows what over Sewell - just ridiculous overpays for a non QB.

Good solid LT like Darrisaw,; come back with CB in R2 and lets roll

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Here's your
                  first COVID shot.
                  Trying to prep
                  your immune system
                  for TT @#13.
                  That's why in the mock I gobbled him up for the Steelers at 24. He is a Swiss Army Knife type player.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                    I don't quite get the idea of trading up for Sewell. This team has glaring holes all over. The team needs a huge influx of talent and speed. The team needs more picks, not less picks and Telesco has proven that without a myriad of picks -- just like any GM -- he gets less chances to make the right pick and thus the necessary talent influx is not there. But I could certainly see Telesco making this type of a bone-headed move. A smart GM in this draft positioned at 13, unless Surtain or Sewell fall, trades down several times down to 27 or so and obtains as many picks as possible. At 27, you could select Radunz or Jenkins, and end up way ahead overall for the team. I would imagine that 10 - 12 picks and Radunz is better than Sewell and minimal picks through this draft. But that is just my opinion. Then again, given Telesco's poor drafting, maybe him having more picks is a bad idea.
                    Jenkins is LONG gone by 27 IMHO. I don't think he makes it past the Raiders.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

That's why in the mock I gobbled him up for the Steelers at 24. He is a Swiss Army Knife type player.
                      I could definitely see him back end of 1st and no later than mid 2nd. He has utility and production that makes him a safe pick. 15-20 years ago he wouldn’t have gotten out of top 15

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Fine.
                        Now about the problems out in space.
                        It is a reach to say that is a product of a core muscle injury.
                        True Pass Sets represent snaps in which an offensive tackle pass-protects specifically without play-action, rollouts, and screens, with more than a three-man rush, and with between two and four seconds to throw the ball.

In 291 career true pass sets, Darrisaw allowed three sacks, four quarterback hits, and 17 quarterback hurries.

So yes, he has room for improvement in this regard (in space). But every one of those sacks, QB hits, and most of the hurries came prior to the 2020 season. The fact that he elevated his game so much in 2020 despite the groin injury is a very good sign.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                          True Pass Sets represent snaps in which an offensive tackle pass-protects specifically without play-action, rollouts, and screens, with more than a three-man rush, and with between two and four seconds to throw the ball.

In 291 career true pass sets, Darrisaw allowed three sacks, four quarterback hits, and 17 quarterback hurries.

So yes, he has room for improvement in this regard (in space). But every one of those sacks, QB hits, and most of the hurries came prior to the 2020 season. The fact that he elevated his game so much in 2020 despite the groin injury is a very good sign.
                          I want my grit(s)...!!!
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X