• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Really don't think Penning will be on the board #17 or in this case #20. Slater was exception to the rule. Mis-diagnosed, “short armed OT that will have to kick inside to guard”. Now the brilliant ones, who like to pat themselves on the back and come up with stuff like flat footed, stiff as a board, feel Penning will have to kick inside as well. I can imagine if somehow, he slips to #17 and the Chargers pass or trade down and Telesco is unable address RT in free agency (passing on top OT still on the board) half of you would applaud, the other half come unglued. Seems there is just no pleasing some people.

Addressing RT in the first round, unless it’s your biggest hole and you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal, going higher positional value like CB or WR is usually the smart choice, but in this case just don’t know? You have to consider taking Penning #17 if there to bolster your OL and protect Herbert. He is the type of player you love to have, on your team but hate to play against, that kinda swings me.

otherwise if you wait, best case scenario, is drafting developmental guy with more upside than Pipkins but who still needs to get stronger, grow into his body and polish his technique. Very hard to draft a OT prospect later in the 3rd who is ready to start.

pff_mock_results 23.png

​​​​​​​

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Just noticed, this was before free agency, Daniel Popper selected

17. Los Angeles Chargers — David Ojabo, edge, Michigan
      Even if the Chargers franchise tag Mike Williams, wide receiver will be in play here. But the organization also wants to get better on the defensive line, and it is always smart to bet on high-upside pass rushers like Ojabo who show natural pass rush instincts even with their relative inexperience.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Going forward, this is the most responsible draft I can think of.
        329AEE3C-1EB9-405A-AC25-318DC8D60603.jpeg
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Didn't realize Olave grew up in San Ysidro
          Southbay in the house!
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
            Going forward, this is the most responsible draft I can think of.
            329AEE3C-1EB9-405A-AC25-318DC8D60603.jpeg
            Love it.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A lot of concerns about Penning's lateral movement not being that good...I'm afraid a speed rusher with a good spin move might make Penning look like Storm Norton...hope the Bolts do their due diligence here...no time to be taking risks with a Sammy Small Schooler from Northern Iowa U beating up on football powerhouses like Sacramento State and Dixie State...
              You realize who Penning's OL coach is? I'm not trashing this guy, he might be pretty good in the long run, but he's young and inexperienced on upper levels of football. But, Penning made himself a potential top 10 pick without the benefit of a top OL coach. Imagine what the Charger's coaches could do for him. Imagine what Slater could teach him about footwork drills and fundamentals. Penniing is a lump of clay waiting to be molded into a masterpiece. Stop looking at what he was and start looking at what he can be.

Ryan Clanton
              Clanton comes to UNI from Ventura College (California), spending four seasons with the Pirates as the offensive coordinator as well as coaching the offensive line and serving as the run game coordinator.

Clanton brings an impressive resume as a player and young coach to Cedar Falls, after directing one of the state’s best offensive lines for the past four seasons, including record-setting seasons at VC in 2015 and 2016. VC’s offense set records in total offense, passing yards and passing touchdowns under Clanton’s guidance.

Over his four years at VC, 19 out of 20 offensive linemen under his tutelage earned all-conference selections, with four earning All-American status. Clanton was named the 2016 Assistant Coach of the Year for all VC sports, after his outstanding efforts on the football staff.

Prior to VC, Clanton spent the 2013 season coaching the offensive and defensive lines at his high school alma mater, Bakersfield Christian. Clanton helped lead the Eagles to Southern Section and CIF titles before joining the VC staff.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Just what we need...a developmental Oline candidate vs. a plug and play WR or DB. I'd rather give up next years 2nd round and this years third to draft someone in the second at OT.

:coffee:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Id rather just sign one of the good free agent RTs and then go bpa in the 1st draft round.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

You realize who Penning's OL coach is? I'm not trashing this guy, he might be pretty good in the long run, but he's young and inexperienced on upper levels of football. But, Penning made himself a potential top 10 pick without the benefit of a top OL coach. Imagine what the Charger's coaches could do for him. Imagine what Slater could teach him about footwork drills and fundamentals. Penniing is a lump of clay waiting to be molded into a masterpiece. Stop looking at what he was and start looking at what he can be.

Ryan Clanton
                    Clanton comes to UNI from Ventura College (California), spending four seasons with the Pirates as the offensive coordinator as well as coaching the offensive line and serving as the run game coordinator.

Clanton brings an impressive resume as a player and young coach to Cedar Falls, after directing one of the state’s best offensive lines for the past four seasons, including record-setting seasons at VC in 2015 and 2016. VC’s offense set records in total offense, passing yards and passing touchdowns under Clanton’s guidance.

Over his four years at VC, 19 out of 20 offensive linemen under his tutelage earned all-conference selections, with four earning All-American status. Clanton was named the 2016 Assistant Coach of the Year for all VC sports, after his outstanding efforts on the football staff.

Prior to VC, Clanton spent the 2013 season coaching the offensive and defensive lines at his high school alma mater, Bakersfield Christian. Clanton helped lead the Eagles to Southern Section and CIF titles before joining the VC staff.
                    Sounds like an awesome project, let’s draft him in the 2nd.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Sounds like an awesome project, let’s draft him in the 2nd.
                      More likely we'll have to trade up into top 10.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

One can only hope!

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

For a lump with promise? Are you kidding? Tillery 2.0.

Comment

Working...
                          X