Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It was at the same point of his career as Slater's is currently.

Both were injury free at this juncture too.
    At least Lamp can always slide into guard, right?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

At least Lamp can always slide into guard, right?
      :shifty:
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Simple question.
        Are Rashawn Slater, or AVT, or maybe even Penei, as plug n play ready as Wirfs or Wills were last year ?

We need day one starters.
        We need value in the early rounds.
        There will be journeymen UFAs.

TPB is wearing rose colored glasses, when we need to really, really scrutinize.

I sure don't have targets on the same Olinemen the rest of you do.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Simple question.
          Are Rashawn Slater, or AVT, or maybe even Penei, as plug n play ready as Wirfs or Wills were last year ?

Penei is. Doesn’t mean his game is without flaws but no doubt he would start day 1. Heck he started as a true freshman at LT after he was recruited as an OG. His physical abilities will help him succeed right away in a manner very similar to Herbert last year. I expect him to have a season very similar to Wirfs last year except on the left side.

Slater or AVT are day one starters.... for our current roster any OL coming in is a day one starter though. Slater has enough starts I imagine even sliding inside isn’t going to keep him from starting day 1. AVT I’m not as high on as most people but if you’re taking him at OG I think he has the physical skills that you’re throwing him in there immediately and dealing with the growing pains. Little is similar in that there will be “growing pains” while he knocks the rust off against while going against pros but I think he takes less time to get up to speed than AVT.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Penei is. Doesn’t mean his game is without flaws but no doubt he would start day 1. Heck he started as a true freshman at LT after he was recruited as an OG. His physical abilities will help him succeed right away in a manner very similar to Herbert last year. I expect him to have a season very similar to Wirfs last year except on the left side.

Slater or AVT are day one starters.... for our current roster any OL coming in is a day one starter though. Slater has enough starts I imagine even sliding inside isn’t going to keep him from starting day 1. AVT I’m not as high on as most people but if you’re taking him at OG I think he has the physical skills that you’re throwing him in there immediately and dealing with the growing pains. Little is similar in that there will be “growing pains” while he knocks the rust off against while going against pros but I think he takes less time to get up to speed than AVT.
            Sure.
            AVT can always slide into Guard too.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Simple question.

Lol, well I'm not sure who I want til I see the board and there are several targets I like but most play defense at 13 for me. Trade down, that's different.....unless Sewell falls like Derwin.
              Slater? Like him but I'd pick some defenders over him if they fall.

FA'cy plays a big part of the decision imo. Got to get thru that.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Sure.
                AVT can always slide into Guard too.
                I kind of think AVT is a guard, more than a OT but a lot of people, including DJ, think he'll play OT.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Me and B14YP were enjoying a little Duck humor...but you wouldn't understand...

:lol:

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Simple question.

Hard to compare LT's to RT's.
                    Everyone believes Sewell, Slater, and AVT are Day 1 starters.
                    The argument turns to where do they play along the OL...?
                    Just because they are scheme/position flexible, doesn't mean they can't play OT.
                    Wirfs in particular was considered an OG candidate, too.
                    Any team willing to start Sam Tevi at left tackle... is certainly willing to start Sewell, Slater, or AVT at left tackle.

All three are elite run-blockers, too. Maybe even better outside zone blocking OT's than Wirfs or Wills.
                    The deeper you go in the draft... the less versatile your OT's become...

Can the BYU kid do this...?
                    https://twitter.com/JoeyRedZone/stat...65335741759495
                    https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1332507781815930880?lang=en

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Hard to compare LT's to RT's.
                      Everyone believes Sewell, Slater, and AVT are Day 1 starters.
                      The argument turns to where do they play along the OL...?
                      Just because they are scheme/position flexible, doesn't mean they can't play OT.
                      Wirfs in particular was considered an OG candidate, too.
                      Any team willing to start Sam Tevi at left tackle... is certainly willing to start Sewell, Slater, or AVT at left tackle.

All three are elite run-blockers, too. Maybe even better outside zone blocking OT's than Wirfs or Wills.
                      The deeper you go in the draft... the less versatile your OT's become...

Can the BYU kid do this...?
                      https://twitter.com/JoeyRedZone/stat...65335741759495
                      https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1332507781815930880?lang=en

Building the Oline is part of an overall strategy.

My draft and free agency decisions are quite different than yours.

@ #13...
                      Sewell--gone.
                      Slater--prolly gone, but OLT or Center only, and OG is a huge need. The value is also in question, when Oline can be addressed with other working capital.
                      AVT--big overdraft, he's a Guard. Have seen him as late as mid to late twenties. Can he handle speed on the outside ? This is pick 13.
                      Where's Darrisaw, so long as you are talking about run blocking ?

The "BYU kid" has maturity, at 25 years of age, and after LDS Mission. He makes one good block per play at OLT. The value is there in round three.

After the seasons Wirfs and Wills just had, I would not be inclined to compare any rookie to them.

The Oline will get fixed. We don't have to go all Cecil B. DeMille.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Building the Oline is part of an overall strategy.

My draft and free agency decisions are quite different than yours.

@ #13...
                        Sewell--gone.
                        Slater--prolly gone, but OLT or Center only, and OG is a huge need. The value is also in question, when Oline can be addressed with other working capital.
                        AVT--big overdraft, he's a Guard. Have seen him as late as mid to late twenties. Can he handle speed on the outside ? This is pick 13.
                        Where's Darrisaw, so long as you are talking about run blocking ?

The "BYU kid" has maturity, at 25 years of age, and after LDS Mission. He makes one good block per play at OLT. The value is there in round three.

After the seasons Wirfs and Wills just had, I would not be inclined to compare any rookie to them.

The Oline will get fixed. We don't have to go all Cecil B. DeMille.
                        Walker Little had a higher SPARQ score than either of those 2 coming out of HS in 2017.
                        I’m just sayin.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Walker Little had a higher SPARQ score than either of those 2 coming out of HS in 2017.
                          I’m just sayin.

My point is that it is no longer projection with Wirfs and Wills.

Little is a great athlete, yes.

Comment

Working...
                          X