• Show
Clear All
  • COLDCUT
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Temecula
    • Highwayman
    • Send PM

Hey all, I’m enjoying all of the draft/FA banter and evals. I’m in general agreement on OT / DL / C being our top needs. There’s a certain SDSU punter that intrigues me though. Certainly defense and OL is a major area of need. I can’t help but think that upgrading our special teams needs to be a major focus as well. What round / draft value do ya’ll assign to a guy like Matt Araiza? Does he even flirt with Ray Guy territory? I’m old enough to remember the surprise when Guy was drafted in the first round. It was considered a crazy waste of a draft pick. Boy did it pay off though!

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
      I decline your counter.

Hicks is a human fork lift but I want young and ascending, not old and breaking down like a ‘78 Buick LeSabre.

Yes, Hicks might have a year or two in the tank, or he might not. No matter the case, he’ll be too expensive for the risk. His health has less and less consistent (see 2019 & 2021). That’s a situation that will only get worse.

The money’s better spent elsewhere. I will not abide another Bulaga situation.
      I like your list of guys. The IDL Fatukasi from the Jets is a name to also consider, as others have mentioned, being a good run stopper and younger at 27 when next season starts. Also, would add Mason Cole as an OL possibility who could add flexibility on the interior (PFF 69), and is younger at 26 when next season starts. Then, for TE, I'd add underrated Tyler Conklin, who had 61 catches for the Vikes last season (PFF 67), and is younger at 27 when next season starts, and 6'3"-6'4"/255.

I'm with you on adding younger guys rather than 30+ yr old FAs.

As for CB JC Jackson, he would break the bank, according to the salary he'll be demanding on various websites out there. I'll pass on him. Would like to have him, but not at the expense of signing two good players for his price.

As for the draft, I think CB and pass rush need to be at the top of the list for the #17 pick.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

It is still
        BPA > PON
        @ #17.

We must draft _______@ #17
        is what led to Fluker.

Of course all needs must be addressed eventually.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          It is still
          BPA > PON
          @ #17.

is what led to Fluker.

What if BPA is a QB? You putting #17 on a QB? So yes but no - we should not lock hard on one single position. Balance, nuance, aggregation of all facts must occur. Fortunately we have many positions with exponential improvement opportunity for a new starter on Day1.

CB
          IDL
          RT
          TE
          Edge
          LB
          RB

Some might include another position or two but thats plenty of options to pick a BPA from.

There are a small number of elite starters on the team. Everything else is open for BPA imo. We are not a good enough roster to draft #1 picks for a distant future - we need upgrades now.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Here's a question: Would it be easier to find a quality OT or a quality DT in round 1?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What if BPA is a QB? You putting #17 on a QB? So yes but no - we should not lock hard on one single position. Balance, nuance, aggregation of all facts must occur. Fortunately we have many positions with exponential improvement opportunity for a new starter on Day1.

CB
              IDL
              RT
              TE
              Edge
              LB
              RB

Some might include another position or two but thats plenty of options to pick a BPA from.

There are a small number of elite starters on the team. Everything else is open for BPA imo. We are not a good enough roster to draft #1 picks for a distant future - we need upgrades now.
              Of course we do not draft a QB @ #17.

What if BPA is Linderbaum,
              ​​who pinned Tristan Wirfs
              in Iowa HS state wrestling championships ?

Do we draft him and make him a guard ?

I am trying to get us all past pundit mock machines, dart throwing and spitballing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Here's a question: Would it be easier to find a quality OT or a quality DT in round 1?
                I think OL is the safer pick in round 1. Many DTs take some time to develope for some reason, nd it's why id rather sign a couple younger DTs.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-27-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                  Day One...
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Brentwood, 94513
                  • Send PM

If there is a stud RT at 17, to add to grow with Slater. Pipkins can help ease the dude in. But if you’re drafted that high, there’s no easing.

Pipkins is a big factor with this. If he is taking that opportunity to be that guy, then top defensive player on the board should be the call. And then get a RT to groom.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

At 17 we need a top skill player/game changer, O or D. WR, TE, RB maybe; CB, S, EDGE, LB maybe, but a force the other team has to account for or can take away/limit another team’s top player. I want DL in FA, RT in rounds 2 or 3, more D everywhere. This is a good draft for trenchers, if somebody special is there at 17, speed, power or speed/power at any skill position we need, with those traits you can’t coach (gotta plop mental in there after the Murray pick, lol), take him. My preference would be either receiver or secondary, both units have studs but need one more IMO.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      It is still
                      BPA > PON
                      @ #17.

is what led to Fluker.

Sure, Telesco blew it on Fluker, but he made up for it in the Second Round with Manti Teo. Telesco's inability to hit on a draft pick, outside the premium Rounds of 1 and 2, is what led to Fluker. I enter as exhibit A, every O-lineman he has ever drafted from Notre Dame.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Sure, Telesco blew it on Fluker, but he made up for it in the Second Round with Manti Teo. Telesco's inability to hit on a draft pick, outside the premium Rounds of 1 and 2, is what led to Fluker. I enter as exhibit A, every O-lineman he has ever drafted from Notre Dame.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/chargers
                        I feel your pain.
                        There is still hand wringing going on here at wu headquarters
                        over Joey Bosa over Ronnie Stanley.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

RT is starting to look deep to me
                          like 3rd round deep
                          P1. Block Destruction