• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Pipkins should in no way be penciled in as the starter. He had two slightly above average games in 3 years. I'm fine with not cutting him, but if he's in line to be the starter we're in a lot of trouble. Prior to the last two games, Pipkins was the worst OT I've seen. And I've watched the Chargers trot out the likes of Sam Tevi and co. for the last 25 years of my life.
    Big agree on this. At least bring in competent competition. If he gets the RT job, at least he’ll have earned it.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Players develop. Not advocating for no competition at RT, just think he has played his way into the discussion where just a couple of months ago he was dead weight. Light went on? He’s always been okay in run support, not the best but had his nicer moments. Now his pass protection seems to have emerged. Yep, only two games, but it was the kinda play never seen from him before. Something has changed. Line them up three deep and let them compete? Norton looked so bad, much worse than Pip did.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Players develop. Not advocating for no competition at RT, just think he has played his way into the discussion where just a couple of months ago he was dead weight. Light went on? He’s always been okay in run support, not the best but had his nicer moments. Now his pass protection seems to have emerged. Yep, only two games, but it was the kinda play never seen from him before. Something has changed. Line them up three deep and let them compete? Norton looked so bad, much worse than Pip did.
        I agree and yet Coaches didnt, as they left Norton out there to get beat. I wonder why, was it just Norton had more reps on the line or do they know or see something we haven’t?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree and yet Coaches didnt, as they left Norton out there to get beat. I wonder why, was it just Norton had more reps on the line or do they know or see something we haven’t?
          Yeah, not understanding some of the playing time choices that were made late in the season. Hoping the off-season settles some of this confusion.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Yeah, not understanding some of the playing time choices that were made late in the season. Hoping the off-season settles some of this confusion.
            They probably went with the guy who did it longer and more consistently throughout the year. No telling if Pipkins would have been worse. We’ll see what happens this offseason. And I say that as someone who wants Pipkins to succeed and be our starting RT.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They probably went with the guy who did it longer and more consistently throughout the year. No telling if Pipkins would have been worse. We’ll see what happens this offseason. And I say that as someone who wants Pipkins to succeed and be our starting RT.
              I literally cannot imagine what worse would have looked like in that Turd game. Norton was hoarse from throwing his "lookout" block all game and screaming "Look out! Here he comes!"

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I literally cannot imagine what worse would have looked like in that Turd game. Norton was hoarse from throwing his "lookout" block all game and screaming "Look out! Here he comes!"
                This, really. Makes me seriously doubt the coaches, gonna wait what the off-season yields.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

OLE!!!!!!!
                  Speaking of Big Ten OL late round Charger picks: I remember a Michigan center and Mich St guard in the 7th. Would be interesting to see how many O Lineman from the 6th and 7th rounds have made a roster the last 30 years?
                  Shane Olivea RT slipped to the 6th because of injury. Those are the gems to find.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

This, really. Makes me seriously doubt the coaches, gonna wait what the off-season yields.
                    The same coaches who stood by Pipkins when everyone on this board wanted him gone?

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

BPA at PON. And we have a lot of needs still.
                      We need some of our young guys to step up.
                      I have DB as our top need. Samuel, Davis, Adderley are good, may get better with more time in the system. DJ is very good. We have struggled to field 5 healthy starters in the same game.
                      DT is a definite need. Jones is good, Linval is old, Tillery is inconsistent.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

BPA at PON. And we have a lot of needs still.
                        When I’ve seen Olave mocked to us it’s as a replacement for Williams.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Speaking of Big Ten OL late round Charger picks: I remember a Michigan center and Mich St guard in the 7th. Would be interesting to see how many O Lineman from the 6th and 7th rounds have made a roster the last 30 years?
                          Shane Olivea RT slipped to the 6th because of injury. Those are the gems to find.
                          Short arm syndrome. 33" ? Injury and oxy took him out.

Comment

Working...
                          X