2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Fangio signed on to bring his "archaic" defensive ideas to South Beach. He'll have Xavien Howard/Jalen Ramsey, Bradley Chubb/Jaelan Phillips (and lol no LBs) !!

StaleyD will have Michael Davis/Asante Samuel (JCJ?), Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack. I expect great improvement this time around for StaleyD, with better health, personnel tweaks, and seasoning in implimentation of concepts.

The back and forth of the cycles of MODERN football marches on. We shall see.
    There...fixed it for 'ya!
    (And used your own term u coined...)

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

True but they also had Brady at QB. I am just saying you don't see many Ravens with Dilfers anymore. Eli Manning and the Giants were probably the last average O better D to win the Super Bowl
      Denver from a few years ago ...... noodle armed version of Peyton Manning who was benched for whats his name midseason.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

A new name to consider at LB depth--Special Teams.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

He needs the starters to play, like any good D.
          I agree that will help a lot, but that soft cover 2 shell shit is readily exploited by better offenses and the attack points are reachable. Like every successful design of yore, its been diagnosed and countered - gotta constantly keep moving if you want to stay ahead because everyone else is moving too…
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

When was the last time an average coaching staff won the Super Bowl?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

So I am still big on TE at 21...any of the "Big 3" would suit me...Mayer, Washington, Kincaid....I'm not gonna talk about Mayer and Washington...they appear to be great additions as all purpose, in-line TEs...love both of them.

I am gonna make a case on Kincaid, and talk about him a bit, because of the 3, there is a little hole in his game, and that is how good a blocker he may or may not be...that part of his game isn't as developed as the other 2...but the receiving weapon potential he brings is special, ala Kelce...and here is why I think that.

Not only does he show (on tape) fast play speed and good route running ability...nevermind his outstanding production, and consistency catching the ball (drop rate is better than anybody, including receiving class)...but what stands out to me is what happens after the catch, and what it means, as far as his natural ability as an athlete and football player.

If you watch his highlights, there are a ton of examples of him making football moves after the catch...and not just turning upfield as soon as he catches the ball. Many times, he makes CALCULATED moves, that tell me much about his ability as a pass catcher, because those moves are based on, and counter to, the position and vector of the defender(s). If the defender is trailing him, he accelerates and turns upfield. If they are trailing but upfield a bit, he will put his foot in the ground, and reverse course. If they are coming at him direct from upfield, he will square up, and juke left or right. If they are coming at him from opposite direction, he will veer downfield or upfield...he is always making moves to mitigate direct contact, and therefore breaking or evading tackles, and very often surviving initial contact. And he does this in a split second, after having his head turned, locating and catching the ball.

So he knows the play, runs the route, turns his head, finds the ball...and maintains the situational and spatial awareness, to very often avoid or survive initial contact. I can't say enough about what that says about his natural ability as a football player...THAT is something that can't be taught. Some receivers/TEs can develop this after a lot of play, as they gain confidence and experience...but this kid has it naturally.

Some other points...again with the catching ability. At one point, he caught 72 straight catchable targets...and only dropped 2 out of over 100 plus targets....less than 2% drop rate is astounding.

His back injury that has been thrown around here is something the medical staff will work out, but very likely much ado about nothing. If it was an actual vertabrae fracture, he wouldn't have been able to play thru it that game...most likely just a crack in one of the spurs that come off the side of the vertabrae...common contact injury that doesn't have long term effects...I know, I SNAPPED OFF 5 in a work accident...I'm no nfl football player, but I work out, lift, and play rough at work (Pipefitter), and I got a million aches and pains and long term wear, but that area of my back has never been an issue...and I abuse it alot, lol....

I like all 3 of these guys, would be happy with any of them...and part of me prefers the polish and experience and surety of Mayer....the raw physical power and gifts of Washington(I literally yelled WHOA! when he abused that sled at the combine)...but man...Herbert to Kincaid could be something special.
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I agree with your take

- Kincaid is the most explosive as a receiver before and after catch, and he’s the least usable in-line as a blocker. What is the offensive vision Moore wants to build, that drives the answer. In a league where the Kelce’s are the big difference, not great in-line blockers, there is a strong argument he increases the explosiveness of the offense and will help Herbatron (hence team) the most

- Washington is a straight line bulldozer after catch, and his speed is in the back 20, not front 20, so he’s not getting quick separation that Kincaid will get. There’s not much wiggle after catch from that big boy either, but he’ll punish DBs and make them both hurt and look silly. In total, he’ll have much less YAC than Kincaid. His key differentiation is he is a BEAST in-line as a 6th blocker and will allow the most flexible rush vs pass options from an a base formation. He will also be most useful in short yard and goal line where we have been notably weak. If they took him, they need a power back to complete the pairing.

- Mayer is considered “most NFL ready” and was top-rated early in the process. Not sure if that is still holding after Washington put up a faster 40 than him. I put him at #2 in receiving (to Kincaid) and #2 blocking (to Wash). He is the safest, but … i just don’t get excited about him, I’d rather have either of the above over him.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Fangio signed on to bring his "archaic" defensive ideas to South Beach. He'll have Xavien Howard/Jalen Ramsey, Bradley Chubb/Jaelan Phillips (and lol no LBs) !!

StaleyD will have Michael Davis/Asante Samuel (JCJ?), Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack. I expect great improvement this time around for StaleyD, with better health, personnel tweaks, and seasoning in implimentation of concepts.

The back and forth of the cycles of football marches on. We shall see.
                  Well said. The odds are that we will be hit by injury- but more gently and better prepared than 2022.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree that will help a lot, but that soft cover 2 shell shit is readily exploited by better offenses and the attack points are reachable. Like every successful design of yore, its been diagnosed and countered - gotta constantly keep moving if you want to stay ahead because everyone else is moving too…
                    Agree, but I think backup-level talent at too many positions limits what any DC can do. Turtle up!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      So I am still big on TE at 21...any of the "Big 3" would suit me...Mayer, Washington, Kincaid....I'm not gonna talk about Mayer and Washington...they appear to be great additions as all purpose, in-line TEs...love both of them.

I am gonna make a case on Kincaid, and talk about him a bit, because of the 3, there is a little hole in his game, and that is how good a blocker he may or may not be...that part of his game isn't as developed as the other 2...but the receiving weapon potential he brings is special, ala Kelce...and here is why I think that.

Not only does he show (on tape) fast play speed and good route running ability...nevermind his outstanding production, and consistency catching the ball (drop rate is better than anybody, including receiving class)...but what stands out to me is what happens after the catch, and what it means, as far as his natural ability as an athlete and football player.

If you watch his highlights, there are a ton of examples of him making football moves after the catch...and not just turning upfield as soon as he catches the ball. Many times, he makes CALCULATED moves, that tell me much about his ability as a pass catcher, because those moves are based on, and counter to, the position and vector of the defender(s). If the defender is trailing him, he accelerates and turns upfield. If they are trailing but upfield a bit, he will put his foot in the ground, and reverse course. If they are coming at him direct from upfield, he will square up, and juke left or right. If they are coming at him from opposite direction, he will veer downfield or upfield...he is always making moves to mitigate direct contact, and therefore breaking or evading tackles, and very often surviving initial contact. And he does this in a split second, after having his head turned, locating and catching the ball.

So he knows the play, runs the route, turns his head, finds the ball...and maintains the situational and spatial awareness, to very often avoid or survive initial contact. I can't say enough about what that says about his natural ability as a football player...THAT is something that can't be taught. Some receivers/TEs can develop this after a lot of play, as they gain confidence and experience...but this kid has it naturally.

Some other points...again with the catching ability. At one point, he caught 72 straight catchable targets...and only dropped 2 out of over 100 plus targets....less than 2% drop rate is astounding.

His back injury that has been thrown around here is something the medical staff will work out, but very likely much ado about nothing. If it was an actual vertabrae fracture, he wouldn't have been able to play thru it that game...most likely just a crack in one of the spurs that come off the side of the vertabrae...common contact injury that doesn't have long term effects...I know, I SNAPPED OFF 5 in a work accident...I'm no nfl football player, but I work out, lift, and play rough at work (Pipefitter), and I got a million aches and pains and long term wear, but that area of my back has never been an issue...and I abuse it alot, lol....

I like all 3 of these guys, would be happy with any of them...and part of me prefers the polish and experience and surety of Mayer....the raw physical power and gifts of Washington(I literally yelled WHOA! when he abused that sled at the combine)...but man...Herbert to Kincaid could be something special.
                      Perfect, another medical pre-existing condition (recovering from small back fracture).

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I'm with you all the way on these TE's. Thanks for doing such a nice writeup about them so didn't have to!
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Herbert to Kincaid is the most dynamic upgrade to the skills group of the options. A la Kelce - that is what the best offenses have. Can’t be covered by LBs … the only way to counter him is cheat Safeties away from the WRs and even still he is going to get his share of reps being very open. And after catch, he’s the guy that can evade tacklers and get the most YAC downfield. That shit adds up - Kelce has beaten us twice with huge YAC in the last 2 years.

But Moore liked Schultz not for his explosiveness (which he doesnt have and I hope we aren’t trying to sign him) but his all-around in-line contributions. Washington is strongest by far. TBD where Moore’s offensive vision leads them. Staley keeps muttering we’ll be a LOS team, Washington is THE LOS TE. Huge value in short down and distance situations where we struggle.

Mayer is most polished but doesnt match the upside of either of thee guys in their respective strengths. Coming in 3rd in most combine drills confirmed that. Jmo.

Comment

Working...
                          X