2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Another guy I want to add to the list...I like Tuli, but I do see his athletic ceiling locking him in a #2 Edge role, with inside/outside versatility...setting a solid edge in the run game...and although our Edge room is getting crowded, a potential #1 Edge developmental guy...a guy with a higher athletic ceiling...a kid who MIGHT develop into that "Oh shit, he is lined up over me, where is my help?" guy could be Isaiah McGwire out of Missouri...totally forgot he was on the board. We may not be in a position for years to grab a special type Edge, so you have to look for guys later in the draft who MIGHT develop into that type of player...an explosive player who you have to account for and often double team to save the QB...someone who has the prototypical size and gifts to ascend to that level...I think McGwire is a developmental candidate in that regard...would like to take a flyer on him.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      Telesco whiffed not taking Darnell Washington. While he wasn’t my 1st or 2nd pick for the position, he would have been tremendous value in 3rd round.

His size means he’s like another OL on the line who can block for the run game and an area the Chargers need immense improving.

Steelers made a wise pick. Unlike Telesco they understand winning the LOS battle is the 1st priority in the NFL.
      The fact that we have a former Bulldog staff member in the building, and Kirby on speed dial, tells me we probably knew what we were doing passing on Washington...there were legitimate medical concerns, both on his history with those feet, and swollen knees at the oombine...we were not the only team to pass on what many believed was a first/second rounder...
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
        Henley looks like the stud we wanted. Shows us alot of teams we’re going to take him right after we picked.

can this be another Fred Warner but a linebacker that can cover in a division of Travis Kelce Michael Mayer and Greg Dulcic you’re going to need that.
        I really liked Fred Warner coming out of college. I watched a lot of his tape and was hoping the Chargers would get him. Like Warner, I liked Henly and watched his tape. I'm not ready to call Henly the next Fred Warner... but I do see similarities in their game. I think the thing they share is good instincts. Both play relatively fast as they both read and react quickly. I think Warner was a bit more physical than Henly.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          Telesco whiffed not taking Darnell Washington. While he wasn’t my 1st or 2nd pick for the position, he would have been tremendous value in 3rd round.

His size means he’s like another OL on the line who can block for the run game and an area the Chargers need immense improving.

Steelers made a wise pick. Unlike Telesco they understand winning the LOS battle is the 1st priority in the NFL.
          Every team in the league "whiffed" twice on him and some three times. Since he fell for medical reasons, let's wait and see how the knee and foot hold up before proclaiming it a whiff.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Henly is an off-ball LB. He'll eventually take over for K9.
            As people have mentioned, he played WR and safety early for Nevada. IIRC, he played a number of other positions too... either for the Wolf Pack or in high school. Athletic and smart.
            He's only played LB for 2 years now. He's relatively new to the position. Which to me is exciting... it means he's not done improving/learning. I think he has instincts and smarts.
            Two of my favorite off-ball LB's were Henly and Overshown. After that, I think the talent falls off @off-ball LB.

IMO, Henly won't be uber-physical (like Perryman)... but he should be able to do exactly what Staley wants (and Tranquill/K9 are weak at)... read and react. Know their responsibilities and get there quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if Henly takes over for K9 later in the season.
            K9 is fucking hopeless, he has no business starting on our defense other than the fact he was a first round pick a lot of teams would have already moved on from him...his instincts are awful and he overcompensates by flying into tackles late like the play that got Michael Davis hurt in the playoff game which hurt us big time...I had predicted that something like that was bound to happen because he had been doing that all season, not friendly fire but stupid fire...

it'll be idiotic if they don't want to start henley over him because of draft status of because they think K9 might yield a comp pick down the road...this is where the owner and the owner's son need to fuck right off and not meddle with personnel decisions...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              Another guy I want to add to the list...I like Tuli, but I do see his athletic ceiling locking him in a #2 Edge role, with inside/outside versatility...setting a solid edge in the run game...and although our Edge room is getting crowded, a potential #1 Edge developmental guy...a guy with a higher athletic ceiling...a kid who MIGHT develop into that "Oh shit, he is lined up over me, where is my help?" guy could be Isaiah McGwire out of Missouri...totally forgot he was on the board. We may not be in a position for years to grab a special type Edge, so you have to look for guys later in the draft who MIGHT develop into that type of player...an explosive player who you have to account for and often double team to save the QB...someone who has the prototypical size and gifts to ascend to that level...I think McGwire is a developmental candidate in that regard...would like to take a flyer on him.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                Both QJ and Henley had the jersey number '1'in college.

Presumably, QJ-- as the 1st rounder-- will have '1' as a Charger, if he wants it.

Which makes me curious about the number Henley will choose. He *could* be the team's first player ever to wear '0'.
                he wore 11 at Nevada
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Brett Kollman loving our draft so far lol.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Spiller was a young player who suffered an injury and just never got going. It probably didn’t help that our OL had issues run blocking with Linsley and Pipkins in and out of the lineup.
                    but even after the injury he didn't get activated because he doesn't play special teams, not that it would've mattered because lombordi was obsessed with giving all the touches to ekeler...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Just a few I like from 4 - 7. No particular order, just pulled from my lists.

McClendon Curtis, Bryce Ford Wheaton, Antonio Johnson, Antonio Malfi, Andrew Voorhees, Tyler Scott, Luke Wypler, Adebawore, Alex Forsyth, Nick Saldiveri, Zach Kuntz, Trey Palmer, Andre Islovas, Kenny McIntosh, Warren McClendon, Olu Oluwatimi, Moro Ojomo, Viliami Fehoko, Jaylon Jones, Will Mallory, Blake Freeland, Dante Stills, Mohammed Diabete, Mohammed Ibraham, Cameron Peoples, Derius Davis, Matt Landers, Jaxon Kirkland, Mekhi Garner, Jalen Moreno Cropper, JL Skinner and Ali Gaye.

Lots of talent still out there to help us. Remember Salyer was a 6th rounder and he shined.

7th round guilty pleasure pick = Stetson Bennett

Prime UDFA target = Brett Neilon or any of the guys above not drafted.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                        Players I still like that are on the board:

Zach Evans - RB
                        Bryce Ford Wheaton - WR
                        Chase Brown - RB
                        Antonio Mafi - OG
                        Antonio Johnson - SS
                        Charlie Jones - WR
                        Karl Brooks - DT
                        Robert Beal - Edge
                        Daniel Scott - SS
                        Blake Freeland - OT
                        Connor Glavin - OT
                        lots of talent you haven't listed still left!

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Every team in the league "whiffed" twice on him and some three times. Since he fell for medical reasons, let's wait and see how the knee and foot hold up before proclaiming it a whiff.
                          From SBNATION

< Almost every you looked before the draft, Washington was considered one of the top prospects in the 2023 class, not just at the tight end position, but overall. According to NFLMockDraftDatabasehe was the 36th-ranked player in the class, and slid into the first round of many mock drafts.

According to the consensus big board assembled each year by Arif Hasan, who does tremendous work covering the league for Pro Football Network, Washington was the 31st-ranked player in the class.

Here at SB Nation, our Joseph Acosta ranked him 18th overall.

And yet, there he was Friday night, sliding out of the second round and still waiting to hear his name called in the third.

Finally, that slide ended, with the Pittsburgh Steelers drafting him at No. 93.

Apparently there were injury concerns that led to the slide:
                          ​>>

Comment

Working...
                          X