2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Spiller really needs to step it up this year or his career will be over before it starts. I was excited to get him, but apparently he never got up to speed. Lots of people blaming the coaches for not playing him more, but we don't know the inside of things. Maybe he got to the league and just coasted his first year and found himself in the coach's dog house. Better hit the ground running at this level. In the grand scheme of things, just being drafted means nothing. There's a half a dozen undrafted kids who are starving to make a roster.
    Spiller was a young player who suffered an injury and just never got going. It probably didn’t help that our OL had issues run blocking with Linsley and Pipkins in and out of the lineup.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

First three rounds remind me of Lombardi’s third quarters.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Players I still like that are on the board:

Zach Evans - RB
        Bryce Ford Wheaton - WR
        Chase Brown - RB
        Antonio Mafi - OG
        Antonio Johnson - SS
        Charlie Jones - WR
        Karl Brooks - DT
        Robert Beal - Edge
        Daniel Scott - SS
        Blake Freeland - OT
        Connor Glavin - OT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
          I would give the draft a solid A so far.

My ONLY gripe is us Charger fans have to suffer through such boring drafts. Seems like every other team is wheelin and dealin. Is it a good thing? I don't know....

Then on that note you have the glass half empty crew bitchin and moaning about we gave up too much for such n such a player.
          11 drafts and Telesco still hasn't traded back. Ossenfort with the Cardinals has done it twice already and getting a bunch of 2024 picks

That said - today

Palmer, Scott Kuntz - for WR and TE
          Phillips or Ringo - CBs

Interior OL would be nice

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            First three rounds remind me of Lombardi’s third quarters.
            Have to say it - I agree with you

I hope Telesco proves me wrong another undersized former S to LB and a guy that might be a rotational player for Fox or is he truly an Edge rusher

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Keondre Coburn DT TEX
              Terell Smith CB MIN
              Jay Ward DB LSU
              Payne Durham TE PURDUE
              Jake Andrews IOL TROY
              Demario Douglas KR LIBERTY
              Xavier Smith WR FAMU

Day Three, UDFA Favs
              Last edited by wu-dai clan; 04-29-2023, 07:25 AM.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                Random observations, so far...

Gotta admit...while we consistently passed on guys I fell in love with, I like the fact that we picked these boys OVER them, as opposed to missing out by a few picks, and settling for these players...these are the guys we wanted...I can make peace with that.

We have gotten some good work done, addressing depth and future development at positions even us fans recognized as areas of need.

Gotta admit, I slept on these guys...I did mock Tuli a few times, but hardly gave the LBs a look after Campbell, Sanders, and Simpson...kinda wondered if we didn't like our young guys, so wasn't looking hard at the later part of the draft...but I do remember some on here liked Henley...nice eyes...I am liking this kid a lot.

RB is my focus round 4...I just don't see a TE that moves the needle...I know some like Kuntz...he is interesting, big, crazy athletic testing...but when I watched the tape, he looked a little gangly/clumsy...not a fluid athlete...but hell, he might still be getting use to all that growth...6'8" takes awhile to grow to, lol

Andrew Voorhees would be an awesome scratch and dent special...and Luke Wypler is a nice center prospect still available.

WR is awful crowded, but we do lack a shifty slot receiver, outside of what Slayer does....and we need a returner. Charlie Jones is a kid I am really high on, especially for the future...I have called him Cooper Kupp with wings on his feet.

We could use a slot corner...how bad is Clarke Phillips III at tackling? How about LT's nephew Tre'?

No DT's jump off the page...maybe Cameron Young? Little disappointed on that front...I hope AJ and Tito are rehabbing well.

I know we hit Edge already, but I really like Ade Adebawore...would be a steal in the 4th.

Here is a list of guys I am pining for...not so much a big board...just players I like for us..

Roschon Johnson RB
                Chase Brown RB
                Ade Adebawore DT/Edge
                Clarke Phillips DB
                Luke Wypler C
                Andrew Voorhees G
                Antonio Mafi G
                Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB
                Antonio Johnson Safety
                Josh Whyle TE
                Eric Gray RB
                Zach Kuntz TE
                Cameron Young DT

Kelee Ringo CB- What the hell...who has the dirt on this kid? I didn't like him in the first...but how can you not consider this a steal? Do we get on the horn with Kirby, get the gritty on this kid, and pull off a late round steal ala Jamaree Salyer? Whatever his warts, kid has a championship pedigree, and cut his teeth in the SEC...again, did I miss some injury news? Something on the police blotter? Gotta put him on the list...
                I am pretty shocked about Ringo as well - unless there are some private red flags, that would be a player I'd be willing to sacrifice a pick to move up and get.

Since Telesco specifically mentioned we do not have a kick or punt returner on the roster, while the WR is crowded, I could see getting one (unless there is a DB that can do it?).

Not overly thrilled with the remaining TEs, but it is still an area of need so I guess we settle.

Since it looks like Ekeler will be back and TT specifically mentioned Spiller stepping up this year I don't know what that means about RB. If Roschon is still there when we pick I'd be okay with that.

And we need depth on the interior of the O line still.

Overall, this is a depth draft and while we can quibble about which players were taken, they have addressed depth at some key areas that will help us this year.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I got buried at work... and missed most of the draft (of course). I did see the 1st round pick on Thursday... and saw the Henly pick last night.
                  So far, so good. I'm a little disappointed with the Tuli pick... I hope he can play 3-4 OLB.
                  I understand (and like) the Quentin Johnson pick. He has size, is a good route-runner, and has YAC. I was hoping for more speed. But I have to admit, I'd hate to be another team's DC and see KA, MW, JP, and QJ out wide... and Austin Ekeler in the backfield. Terrifying!

I'm completely dumbfounded that Clark Phillips is still on the board!

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                      I got buried at work... and missed most of the draft (of course). I did see the 1st round pick on Thursday... and saw the Henly pick last night.
                      So far, so good. I'm a little disappointed with the Tuli pick... I hope he can play 3-4 OLB.
                      I understand (and like) the Quentin Johnson pick. He has size, is a good route-runner, and has YAC. I was hoping for more speed. But I have to admit, I'd hate to be another team's DC and see KA, MW, JP, and QJ out wide... and Austin Ekeler in the backfield. Terrifying!

I'm completely dumbfounded that Clark Phillips is still on the board!
                      LOL...I wondered when you were gonna weigh in on Phillips...I'm perplexed as well.

I think Tuli is gonna be a very good #2 edge with inside/outside versatility...a solid pick, and indicative of what Staley likes to do on defense...bring 4 with the occasional blitz, which is what he did with the Rams with success...but no...he won't have THAT type of versatility to play a OLB type role...
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Random observations, so far...

Gotta admit...while we consistently passed on guys I fell in love with, I like the fact that we picked these boys OVER them, as opposed to missing out by a few picks, and settling for these players...these are the guys we wanted...I can make peace with that.

We have gotten some good work done, addressing depth and future development at positions even us fans recognized as areas of need.

Gotta admit, I slept on these guys...I did mock Tuli a few times, but hardly gave the LBs a look after Campbell, Sanders, and Simpson...kinda wondered if we didn't like our young guys, so wasn't looking hard at the later part of the draft...but I do remember some on here liked Henley...nice eyes...I am liking this kid a lot.

RB is my focus round 4...I just don't see a TE that moves the needle...I know some like Kuntz...he is interesting, big, crazy athletic testing...but when I watched the tape, he looked a little gangly/clumsy...not a fluid athlete...but hell, he might still be getting use to all that growth...6'8" takes awhile to grow to, lol

Andrew Voorhees would be an awesome scratch and dent special...and Luke Wypler is a nice center prospect still available.

WR is awful crowded, but we do lack a shifty slot receiver, outside of what Slayer does....and we need a returner. Charlie Jones is a kid I am really high on, especially for the future...I have called him Cooper Kupp with wings on his feet.

We could use a slot corner...how bad is Clarke Phillips III at tackling? How about LT's nephew Tre'?

No DT's jump off the page...maybe Cameron Young? Little disappointed on that front...I hope AJ and Tito are rehabbing well.

I know we hit Edge already, but I really like Ade Adebawore...would be a steal in the 4th.

Here is a list of guys I am pining for...not so much a big board...just players I like for us..

Roschon Johnson RB
                        Chase Brown RB
                        Ade Adebawore DT/Edge
                        Clarke Phillips DB
                        Luke Wypler C
                        Andrew Voorhees G
                        Antonio Mafi G
                        Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB
                        Antonio Johnson Safety
                        Josh Whyle TE
                        Eric Gray RB
                        Zach Kuntz TE
                        Cameron Young DT

Kelee Ringo CB- What the hell...who has the dirt on this kid? I didn't like him in the first...but how can you not consider this a steal? Do we get on the horn with Kirby, get the gritty on this kid, and pull off a late round steal ala Jamaree Salyer? Whatever his warts, kid has a championship pedigree, and cut his teeth in the SEC...again, did I miss some injury news? Something on the police blotter? Gotta put him on the list...
                        there are some nice players available today. they need to stay patient and continue to let the draft fall to them, are there any jamaree salyer types for 2023?
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Telesco whiffed not taking Darnell Washington. While he wasn’t my 1st or 2nd pick for the position, he would have been tremendous value in 3rd round.

His size means he’s like another OL on the line who can block for the run game and an area the Chargers need immense improving.

Steelers made a wise pick. Unlike Telesco they understand winning the LOS battle is the 1st priority in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                          X