2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yeah, I mean sometimes you have to overdraft to get guys you want in the locker room. Look at Detroit...they over drafted two players in the first and I'm sure they really don't care what anyone thinks. Gibbs is a weapon that helps out an average QB and Campbell is potential team leader for their defense.
    I tell you what...say what you want about the Lions, but Dan Campbell knows how to let em' hang...he just doesn't give a fig what anybody thinks...he and that GM picked the players they wanted, to hell with the perceptions...hope it works out for them, really...
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The second and third round picks - good value

that first round pick is a little disconcerting - thats a big gap. Had to be higher on Telescos' board - hopefully like top 18 if not top 15 type player. In the first round, if you are truly reaching that much - you are helping the league out.
      you think QJ was a reach? I get it if you don't like him over other players, I was screaming at the TV for Nolan smith and myles Murphy but to say QJ was a reach? I had him going anywhere from 10-18, I had him as the best WR because he already provides something every team needs and he is no where close to having maxed his talent yet, the other top WRs are mostly finished products and none of them can do what QJ does, but QJ will show he can run routes and clean up his focus/drop issues...look who he'll be learning from, if QJ improves his weaknesses he'll be one of the top guys in the entire league...the timing to take a stud like this that can grow with Herbert as some of Herberts guys are getting older is really smart..
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I have to admit... I liked K9 coming out of college. I predicted that he would be a 2nd round pick. I was a bit surprised they traded up for him.
        IMO, he was an OLB in a 4-3 system... not an ILB for a 3-4 system. At Oklahoma, he was asked to cover the flat, pursue the backside, and blitz from time to time. He wasn't given many reads and was allowed to play fast. His role in college was very different from the responsibilities that Gus gave to him. I remember 1 or 2 games where they let him play fast (without the reads/responsibilities)... and he made a bunch of plays. I think he's being used wrong. I don't think he fits Staley's scheme at all. They gave him a chance but he doesn't seem to be able to process quickly enough... and plays slow because of this. He might actually fit another team's scheme... who knows, the defenses are changing rapidly now.

I like that they went and re-vamped the LB personnel (Kendricks and Henly). I think the defense takes a big step. If they can get slot-corner and FS nailed down, they'll be a top-10 defense.
        Total lockstep on this....K9 physically gifted playmaker...but he just hasn't been able to shift into 5th gear processing speed in the NFL...that is where you miss in the draft sometimes...they look so good in 4th gear(college) you feel they should be able to acclimate...but sometimes they are already maxed out, mentally...I think Staley saw that right away, and that is why he tried him out for awhile at Edge...just let him pin his ears back and attack, and limiting his run response to the outside on one side of the field...hopefully we can get a good 4th year out of him before he moves on, while Henley learns the pro game, and tears it up on special teams...and if Henley surprises and supplants Murray...so be it...I feel much better about the LB depth either way.

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I tell you what...say what you want about the Lions, but Dan Campbell knows how to let em' hang...he just doesn't give a fig what anybody thinks...he and that GM picked the players they wanted, to hell with the perceptions...hope it works out for them, really...
          Detroit looks like the second best team in that division behind Minny. Greenbay is a huge question mark in rebuild mode. Chicago looks to be able to improve greatly after the draft. Greenbay after 30 years of great play looks to be in suckage land for awhile.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

And yet you were upset about the QJ pick. Different positions but WR are also expected to help in the run game in Moore’s scheme.
            QJ will improve his run blocking, route running, and drop issues...but his floor was already so high that he was grouped with guys like JSN and flowers so what happens when he cleans up the rest? I think QJ will be remembered as one of the steals in this draft, his power and strength combined with uncanny shiftiness for a man his size puts him in a rare group of nil players that many call 'freaks'...when they do those redraft things like 2-3 years from now he'll be in the top ten for sure...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

you think QJ was a reach? I get it if you don't like him over other players, I was screaming at the TV for Nolan smith and myles Murphy but to say QJ was a reach? I had him going anywhere from 10-18, I had him as the best WR because he already provides something every team needs and he is no where close to having maxed his talent yet, the other top WRs are mostly finished products and none of them can do what QJ does, but QJ will show he can run routes and clean up his focus/drop issues...look who he'll be learning from, if QJ improves his weaknesses he'll be one of the top guys in the entire league...the timing to take a stud like this that can grow with Herbert as some of Herberts guys are getting older is really smart..
              That all may be true and he becomes an all pro receiver for Herbert for years to come. Not guaranteed, but his ceiling looks high.

The problem I have with the pick is there’s a 50/50 chance he is not an impact player this year and his chances of seeing a significant amount of playing time is only if KA or Williams are injured.

I would have preferred an impact player that starts day one that could also be all the the things you hope for for QJ in years to come but at a bigger position of need right now.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Hey...where is that one guy...the one with the tongue numbing name...Xaz-something or other, lol....
                YaYa Diaby ?
                That's a beach special.
                I like him too.

Xavier Smith is a Steve Smith/Emory Hunt guy.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Clarke Phillips CB Utah
                  Kyu Blu Kelly CB Stanford
                  Daius Rush CB South Carolina
                  Deuce Vaughn RB Kansas
                  Eric Gray RB OKLA
                  Darius Davis WR/KR TCU
                  Kayshon Boutte WR/KR LSU
                  Taylor Scott WR/KR CIN
                  Kazmeir Allen WR/RB/KR
                  Davis Allen TE Clemson

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

think denzel perryman with coverage skills, you’re going to love him
                    Denzel didn't weigh 225 lbs,...I hope the kid can add some bulk so he don't get run over and drug around like Donnie Edwards did.

I like the kid, just undersized. Staley seems to like undersized LBs. Littleton was undersized too and was awful in support for them. Didn't last long with the Raiders. Just one season.
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-29-2023, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                      Chargers biggest offensive problem was getting short yardage on 3rd down in the run game. 3 rounds and they are sitting pat with the same personnel from last year.
                      Slater missed most of the year, Salyer was out of position, and both him and Johnson were rookies, plus Linsley and pipkins were dealing with injuries....they will be more experienced as a group and without fieler this is a more physical group...so no fieler and add Slater back to the equation and you have a completely different left side from last year...but you already knew that...

Comment

• Jack Burton
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

From SBNATION

< Almost every you looked before the draft, Washington was considered one of the top prospects in the 2023 class, not just at the tight end position, but overall. According to NFLMockDraftDatabasehe was the 36th-ranked player in the class, and slid into the first round of many mock drafts.

According to the consensus big board assembled each year by Arif Hasan, who does tremendous work covering the league for Pro Football Network, Washington was the 31st-ranked player in the class.

Here at SB Nation, our Joseph Acosta ranked him 18th overall.

And yet, there he was Friday night, sliding out of the second round and still waiting to hear his name called in the third.

Finally, that slide ended, with the Pittsburgh Steelers drafting him at No. 93.

Apparently there were injury concerns that led to the slide:
                        ​>>
                        He has a very weird foot injury. Numerous bones where his foot and ankle meet on the top of his foot are broken.
                        Hes 6-7” 260. It just doesn’t bode well for recovery having that much weight on that area. I think teams see him as a constantly injured player.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

YaYa Diaby ?
                          That's a beach special.
                          I like him too.

Xavier Smith is a Steve Smith/Emory Hunt guy.
                          My bad...I thought that was you....Xazavian Valladay is the kid's name, RB out of Arizona State...probably was Beach...

Since I looked him up...5'11" 204# 40inch vert, 22 reps(strong!) 4.46 40...athletic and shifty little runner, with good acceleration is what I read, but have not watched him
                          Last edited by Lone Bolt; 04-29-2023, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X