2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Much as Telesco likes his size traits parameters per position, I find it fascinating he took Jordan McFadden OT/OC? Stocky build, thickly proportioned, with very good arm length. If he’s anything like Salyer, could be steal of Chargers 2023 Draft!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
      Thanks Bro. I appreciate the kind words. I don’t know what to say. I just keep it real. I like what we did in this draft. I’m really impressed. It’s not about program it’s about player. Everybody talking about program. It’s not program it’s player. Tutu was at USC but he was a great player. Look at Seau he never won a championship in college and look at him. Look at Herbert at Oregon. He didn’t win a championship but Tua was selected before him. Chase Young was selected before him.

Ladanian Tomlinson played at TCU. And Michael Vick was drafted before him. You draft player. And the Chargers draft player. Telesco did that.

so if you really evaluate player you get a great player the Kid Tutu gets it. I scout USC I know that program been there since ED orgeron was the recruiting cordinator.

Let me let you marinate on this Troy Polomalo didn’t win a championship but the guy knew had instincts.

I saw Hufanga pre draft I knew the Niners got a steal cause the guy was always in on every play.

same with Tutu this guy would light guys up a as a defensive end chasing running backs shit like that.

Drake Jackson I don’t know if you know this kid another L.A. kid drafted by the 49ers. Freak ability Tututi is way better far more advanced then Jackson and he looked great on the Niners. So Hufanga Jackson Tutuli that was a unit they just never put it together.

I remember seeing Clay Matthews this kid might have a little that to him.

Henleys just an athlete. This team has way too much talent to not at least be in the AFC championship. with this offense we just need our defense to hold teams to 17 points.

we got it all as an offense. If Stayley doesn’t win I could see us making a run at Bellicheck.
      Love your takes, i see it the same. Tuli is a flat out baller and he's only 20, not even reached his potential. he is going to prove alot of pundits wrong. guarantee.

Henley makes split second reads and flies at the ball (carrier) and is a very sure tackler. Many here liked Trenton Simpson in the mid-rounds - he's fast in a 40 but he doesn't play as fast on tape because he doesn't react as fast and he is nowhere near the tackler Henley is. I watched tape on both of them and came away before the draft rating Henley much higher. Henley squares ball carriers up and dropping them hard, its amazing considering he hasn't played LB that long, that he is so fundamentally sound - just a great athlete with great intrinsic athletic instincts, Simpson in contrast - many of his tackles show him grabbing the runner as they go by and hang on to drag him down. He's not reading and instinctively getting in the perfect position as quickly, leaving him to grab - that stuff won't work as well in the NFL when players go by faster and are must better at breaking arm tackles. This forum has complained, with good reason, about Charger tackling - Henley is just much better at it.

QJ is going to be top tier. period. he is. Chargers listened to all the yack yack about gadget receivers and the went with the tried and true - 95% of the best receivers in the league are big strong fast assertive man-size receivers, Chase is the prototype - they can impose their will during games. Hill is the very rare exception not the rule to try and target. Excellent evaluation by the team.

I even like Rds 4-6 as well, Rd7 is fine as Duggen could be a better backup than Stick but that doesnt change the team. Can't wait to see how many of them pan out as they might.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SAY OW 55
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Love your takes, i see it the same. Tuli is a flat out baller and he's only 20, not even reached his potential. he is going to prove alot of pundits wrong. guarantee.

Henley makes split second reads and flies at the ball (carrier) and is a very sure tackler. Many here liked Trenton Simpson in the mid-rounds - he's fast in a 40 but he doesn't play as fast on tape because he doesn't react as fast and he is nowhere near the tackler Henley is. I watched tape on both of them and came away before the draft rating Henley much higher. Henley squares ball carriers up and dropping them hard, its amazing considering he hasn't played LB that long, that he is so fundamentally sound - just a great athlete with great intrinsic athletic instincts, Simpson in contrast - many of his tackles show him grabbing the runner as they go by and hang on to drag him down. He's not reading and instinctively getting in the perfect position as quickly, leaving him to grab - that stuff won't work as well in the NFL when players go by faster and are must better at breaking arm tackles. This forum has complained, with good reason, about Charger tackling - Henley is just much better at it.

QJ is going to be top tier. period. he is. Chargers listened to all the yack yack about gadget receivers and the went with the tried and true - 95% of the best receivers in the league are big strong fast assertive man-size receivers, Chase is the prototype - they can impose their will during games. Hill is the very rare exception not the rule to try and target. Excellent evaluation by the team.

I even like Rds 4-6 as well, Rd7 is fine as Duggen could be a better backup than Stick but that doesnt change the team. Can't wait to see how many of them pan out as they might.
        great take. I couldn’t agree more. Henley reminds me of Luke Keuckly.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
          FUdean
          • Dec 2022
          • Send PM

Interesting take here. Hope the Jets crash and burn with rodgers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

ESPN Recap
            https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...very-selection
            • Lindsey Thiry, ESPNApr 29, 2023, 06:27 PM ET

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The 2023 NFL draft concluded Saturday in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The Los Angeles Chargers made seven of the draft’s 259 picks, beginning with the No. 21 selection of the first round on Thursday night.

ESPN's pick-by-pick analysis of each of the Chargers' selections are below.

ADVERTISEMENT
            Analysis of every pick | Updated depth chart

Round 1, No. 21 overall: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

My take: The Chargers have lacked a playmaker who can consistently stretch a defense and provide a deep target for quarterback Justin Herbert. That no longer is the case with the addition of Johnston, known for his ability to get quickly downfield and make over-the-shoulder catches. Johnston should be able to make an immediate impact and rounds out a wide receiver group that includes proven playmakers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. Johnston's addition also proves that the Chargers will continue to invest around Herbert, who is expected this offseason to sign a long-term extension.

Need he's helping fill: The Chargers last season could not stretch the field consistently and it showed in Herbert’s numbers. Despite superior arm strength, Herbert averaged only 6.8 yards per attempt, which ranked No. 26 in the NFL. Meanwhile, Johnston averaged 3.04 yards per route run, which was the best in the Big 12 and ranked eighth in the FBS. Johnston will not only enable Herbert to air the ball out more often, but his presence also will clear space for Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, who were the Bolts' only two players last season to average more than two yards per route (Allen 2.22 and Williams 2.0).

Will he start as a rookie? Yes. It remains to be seen how quickly Johnston can learn offensive coordinator Kellen Moore’s playbook, and how quickly he will be able to develop chemistry with Herbert, but Johnston is filling an immediate need for the Chargers, so he will be expected to be able to start.
            Round 2, No. 54 overall: Tuli Tuipulotu, EDGE, USC

My take: The Chargers feature edge rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, but a lack of depth at the position grew into a major concern this offseason with the Bolts opting to let veteran Kyle Van Noy depart in free agency and uncertainty regarding the development of 2021 fourth-round pick Chris Rumph II. The selection of Tuipulotu ensures that if the Chargers are without either Bosa or Mack for a single game or an extended period, a playmaker is ready to step in.

Key Stat: Tuipulotu has a proven ability to get after the quarterback. Last season he led the FBS with 13.5 sacks, the most by a USC player since Kenechi Udeze in 2003. Last season, the Chargers were tied for 14th in the NFL with 40 sacks.
            Round 3, No. 85 overall: Daiyan Henley, ILB, Washington State

My take: The Chargers have yet to announce an official decision on whether they will exercise the fifth-year option on inside linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr.'s rookie contract, but the addition of Henley seems to signal that the 2020 first-round pick's time with the Bolts could be limited. Henley will have the opportunity to learn at the elbow of veteran linebacker Eric Kendricks, who the Chargers signed to a two-year deal in free agency, and he could play a key role on special teams.

Will he start as a rookie? It's still unclear how the Chargers plan to utilize Henley in the defense given the addition of Kendricks and the scheduled return of Murray at the position.
            Round 4, No.125 overall: Derius Davis, WR/KR, TCU

My take: The Chargers were unable to retain returner DeAndre Carter, who also was a key role player on offense, in free agency, so Davis fills an immediate need on special teams. His speed will also contribute another dimension to the Chargers' offense in a receivers group that includes Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joshua Palmer and Quentin Johnston, Davis' TCU teammate who the Chargers selected in the first round.
            Round 5, No. 156 overall: Jordan McFadden, G, Clemson

My take: The Chargers have invested over the past few years in their offensive line, which included selecting guard Zion Johnson with a first-round pick and guard Jamaree Salyer with a sixth-round pick in 2022. The Chargers thrust Salyer into a starting role at left tackle when Rashawn Slater was sidelined for most of last season because of a left biceps tear, and he will retain a starting job (though moving inside to guard) this season. That makes it somewhat of a surprise that the Bolts went with another offensive guard with a fifth-round pick. However, depth is always needed in this position group.
            Round 6, No. 200 overall: Scott Matlock, DL, Boise State

My take: The Chargers have struggled to stop the run in recent seasons and continue to search for solutions. Known for his run-stopping ability, Matlock adds to a group that includes Sebastian Joseph-Day, Austin Johnson, Morgan Fox and Otito Ogbonnia. He will have the opportunity to contribute immediately in a rotation as he fills a position of need for the Bolts.
            Round 7, No. 239 overall: Max Duggan, QB, TCU

My take: The Chargers lack depth at the quarterback position behind starter Justin Herbert. The Bolts re-signed backup Easton Stick to a one-year deal this offseason, but otherwise have no other options in their quarterback room. Duggan adds depth, plus becomes an inexpensive backup to Herbert, who is negotiating a significant long-term extension. Duggan also reunites with two very familiar targets in TCU teammates Quentin Johnston and Derius Davis, who were two of his top three leading receivers for the Horned Frogs last season.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Cut and dry to the point.

Curious if Chargers measure GPS during games via own scouts or service? His forty times are nothing special for a receiver, yet being touted as field stretching, deep threat with his speed. I was always on the Jalen Hyatt train if they wanted speed in a long body (2nd rd.) 4.40 vs Johnston (Pro-Day 4.49).

Why didn’t Johnston run his 40 @ the Combine? Also bothered by his lack of performance in National Championship vs Georgia. Have to do some research or if anyone here knows, was he nursing some kind of leg injury like hamstring?

Great young dude, like his character, hoping for a Derwin James kinda steal once 100%

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I think Quentin Johnson possessed a combination of traits the Chargers liked... size and strength being 2 of those traits. And for his size, his speed is pretty good (4.46-4.49).

Of the 4 WR's selected in the 1st round... he was the only one with size. The 4 WR's were drafted right in a row... #20-23. Hyatt was a 1-trick pony and didn't get selected until the 3rd round. I think Telesco and Staley mentioned looking for a receiver that could do things at all 3 levels pre-draft. To be a guy that can do things at the 1st and 2nd levels, you have to be a route runner, too. QJ can do that. Hyatt hasn't proven he can do that.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  I think Quentin Johnson possessed a combination of traits the Chargers liked... size and strength being 2 of those traits. And for his size, his speed is pretty good (4.46-4.49).

Of the 4 WR's selected in the 1st round... he was the only one with size. The 4 WR's were drafted right in a row... #20-23. Hyatt was a 1-trick pony and didn't get selected until the 3rd round. I think Telesco and Staley mentioned looking for a receiver that could do things at all 3 levels pre-draft. To be a guy that can do things at the 1st and 2nd levels, you have to be a route runner, too. QJ can do that. Hyatt hasn't proven he can do that.
                  Agree. Hyatt should turn out to be good value for R3 in a few years. He wasn’t R1 worthy this year imo either. We were all fixated on the quick slot guy with limited skills not the same as KA and MD. In retrospect, i think TT got it exactly right to take the best ALL AROUND WR that could become a #1. He’s not a 4.3 guy, true. Very very few #1s are 4.3 guys in the NFL, the requirements for strength, size, etc are rarely found in 4.3 WRs.

I do want to see him learn to catch more balls with his hands, thats my only (minor) concern. Trying tio catch Herbie Missiles off of his chest pads is not gonna work well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Agree. Hyatt should turn out to be good value for R3 in a few years. He wasn’t R1 worthy this year imo either. We were all fixated on the quick slot guy with limited skills not the same as KA and MD. In retrospect, i think TT got it exactly right to take the best ALL AROUND WR that could become a #1. He’s not a 4.3 guy, true. Very very few #1s are 4.3 guys in the NFL, the requirements for strength, size, etc are rarely found in 4.3 WRs.

I do want to see him learn to catch more balls with his hands, thats my only (minor) concern. Trying tio catch Herbie Missiles off of his chest pads is not gonna work well.
                    I agree. QJ seems to be a combination of KA and MW. The size and relative speed of MW... but better route running than MW.
                    IMO, either KA or MW will not be brought back (salary cap concerns). Maybe they want to see what QJ develops into... then see which WR produces (and stays healthy). Winner stays... the other goes. KA saves $23 million. MW saves $20 million.

QJ will have to improve drop rate... and get better at contested catches.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

A little bit of AI action for the poetry fan.

The Chargers on draft day came,
                      With hopes and dreams for future games.
                      They scouted players from far and wide,
                      To build a team with strength and pride.

In round one, they chose Quentin Johnston,
                      A receiver with hands like a magician.
                      He'll dazzle fans with his speed and skill,
                      And help the Chargers climb uphill.

Next came Tuli Tuipulotu,
                      A defensive end from USC
                      who Will dominate on the line,
                      And make opposing offenses decline.

In round three, they picked Daiyan Henley,
                      A linebacker with grit and tenacity.
                      He'll chase down runners with ferocity,
                      And lead the Chargers to victory.

Derius Davius was their fourth-round choice,
                      A receiver with a powerful voice.
                      He'll catch passes with ease and grace,
                      And help the Chargers win the race.

Jordan McFadden in round five,
                      A guard from Clemson who will thrive.
                      He'll protect the quarterback with might,
                      And pave the way for touchdowns bright.

Scott Matlock in round six they found,
                      A defensive lineman with strength unbound.
                      He'll push through the line with force,
                      And help the Chargers stay on course.

In round seven, they chose Max Duggan,
                      A quarterback with skills so rugged.
                      He'll lead the team with heart and soul,
                      And help the Chargers reach their goal.

The Chargers on draft day made their picks,
                      To build a team with power and tricks.
                      With these players, they'll aim high,
                      And reach for the Super Bowl in the sky.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree. QJ seems to be a combination of KA and MW. The size and relative speed of MW... but better route running than MW.
                        IMO, either KA or MW will not be brought back (salary cap concerns). Maybe they want to see what QJ develops into... then see which WR produces (and stays healthy). Winner stays... the other goes. KA saves $23 million. MW saves $20 million.

QJ will have to improve drop rate... and get better at contested catches.
                        Watched quite a bit of tape lately of Quentin Johnston. Now I know exactly what bothered me. He has lazy hands. Rarely does he pluck the ball, or extend his arms and fully use his reach, he presses the ball as it comes inside his frame against his body. Don’t know if that habit can be addressed by coaching or learning from Keenan and Mike who both excel high-pointing or decisively snagging the rockets Herbert throws.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

At QJs height...speed and especially his YAC....to expect him to also be that MW type who plays that elevated game? The kid would have gone in the top 10. Ok WRs who are totally huge...fast and do everything you want...catch radius..massive leaps...deep threat...crazy skills after the catch etc ...they get drafted high. He needs to round out his game. I like our WR coaching and development over the years. You take him at 21 you have to expect some opportunities to evolve. Lots of WRs with size come into the league lacking a lot of stuff. And most of the time its speed and yac. Tee Higgins cant do what he does after the catch. He isnt the deep threat QJ is. He isnt going to burn you on an end around. DK metcalf was really raw but big and fast. I was floored how low Justin Jefferson went. If you remember he was my top WR in the draft and should have gone much higher. Routes. Speed. Hands. Everything. I think TT took this kid right where he should have gone.

This is why i wasnt really a fan of Mike Williams at 7. I didnt think he had the routes. I wanted CMC desperately. lol

Give him time. Ive really warmed on him. I just think picking him was more about replacing Mike or Keenan soon. And we get all three this season. The other 3 WRs imo were likely slot first types. And i wanted them because it means Keenan and Mike are on the outside...and we have a little speedster to use around the slot and motion. Movement piece. Now Keenan is gonna get tricky with it in the slot. He will crucify guys with his routes. You send Mike and QJ out and its gonna require 4 guys to contain that top end deep stuff. Keenan should always be open. If they take out Keenan...those other guys are 1v1. I like the mismatches and match ups.

Now if we just had a RB that could scare defenses enough to stack the box? Maybe a stud TE? Probably comes next year...when one of our WRs are gone. lol Its time for Spiller to shine.

He need to start working with Herberts ball. Because they are coming in much hotter than hes gonna be used to. So yeah...get that Juggs machine going.

Comment

Working...
                          X