2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

and ditto for DBs.... are you ok w/the any of those 11-12 CBs you mention, as Chargers ??

personally have pretty much zeroed in on Forbes to date, albeit not overly keen on drafting a safety/nickel CB round one, and despite that we might have a need there, post Adderley, if and when that might be the case ??

also like Cameron Brown day three, or as an UDFA, if he somehow drops, as he's got (major) injury concerns, but he might be hellah good as a CB4/5.

thing is we've got the bodies for next year already w/the likes of Derwin, Woods, Alohi, Webb and Ja'Sir @S, and w/JC Jack, Asante and Callahan as starters @CB, and depending on what happens w/Mike D.... and we've got Leonard back there as well ??

after drafting Woods, would be a tad surprised if we doubled down @safety again next year, and think it more likely we go after a corner in next year's draft ??

and same situation @Edge, as we have both Bosa 'n Mack, and then Van Noy and Rumph behind them.

what do you see as the gambit (day one/two) if you're team Tommy John ??

ps. do you see a Jack Jones 2.0 (nice call last go 'round btw), and/or developmental type player there @DB ??
    I haven't done a deep-dive on DB... but my initial impression is that this is a deep class.
    I'll have to watch more game tape on many of these guys. But here is a site that has most of the prospects. I don't necessarily agree with their rankings, but it gives a good list of guys to evaluate.
    Cornerbacks prospect rankings for the 2023 NFL Draft. Breakdowns of the best Cornerback prospects and averages of other scouting reports.

Our DB situation looks pretty bad for next year. Callahan is playing very well and probably deserves a big pay-hike (one we probably can't afford). Vato may be a cap casualty and JC is now gone for the 2023 season most likely. That leaves us with ASJ and a few developing rookies. We may need to draft 2 CB's. We may need to draft a safety, too. Depends on JT's development and whether Adderly is retained... and at what cost. Webb isn't on the roster IIRC.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think all of those EDGE players fit well... that's why I included them (and not Wilson). Got any Diaby tape I can watch...?
      I like Felix Anudike-Uzomah the best.
      Washington Huskies have 2 guys that are being productive... Bralen Trice and Jeremiah Martin. Drew Sanders has the frame to put more weight on...
      wish I was more enamored of that bunch, and.... things can and will change, and.... just cannot leave Tyree off my board. dude is a bear in the woods/bull in a china shop when he's working the pocket. he can also well set the edge against the run, as am not sold on guys that just get sacks (let alone pressures like Jerry in college).... Wilson must be accounted for on every snap, as he can just straight out maul his Olineman if they slip up/fall off any little bit.

and like Verse, there is no consensus that the either of 'em are first round locks, and looking more closely @Verse, not sure he's a first round talent, as like Jermaine Johnson before him, really good looking player, albeit not sure he's the total pkg quite yet.... little bit unrefined and w/some work to do on things, and as opposed to someone like Kancey, who is already a refined technician.... traits that have served us well when evaluating/drafting Chargers Olinemen.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

top two tackles are Skoronski and Fashanu, both prolly off the board by the time we pick.
        TE Michael Mayer should be there, and.... (no thank you btw)
        ED Jared Verse has cracked the top ten.... (so much for that notion)
        Bijan and Jahmyr Gibbs are both slotted mid first round.... Zach Evans is much better value come day two
        Smith Njigba is within range @18 for the wideout die hards
        the Dline has Tyree Wilson and Siaki Ika listed later in the first.... Bryan Bresee still on the board @end of the first
        is Nolan Smith an option @ED.... Myles Murphy ??
        CBs Brian Branch, Clark Phillips, Joey Porter @end of first
        another handful of Edge players sitting in a thirtysomething bunch if you are so inclined round one
        where does Josh Downs come off the board ??

does safety Jordan Battle or corners Christian Gonzalez, Garrett Williams or Jaylon Jones make it to our selection round two
        is Noah Sewell a round two consideration (Zach Charbonnet just gashed his D for nearly 300 yards) ??
        OT Jaelyn Duncan is still on the board here, and w/Connor Galvin slotted once spot ahead of him....
        RB Zach Evans is day two value here as well, and w/Devon Achane slotted ahead of him as well

could CB Emmanuel Forbes last 'til the third stanza ??
        or do you prefer TE Darnell Washington round three.... Luke Musgrave is in the mix here as well

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/2023-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings-will-anderson-jr-no-1-three-quarterbacks-in-top-5/ar-AA13oOSK

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

what's becoming more and more evident this go 'round, is that in year's past a sure fire RB1 just hasn't fallen to us slotting wise, but this year it seems there might be a good handful of near surefire RB1s for the taking....

Bijan
          Jahmyr
          Zach Evans
          Israel Abanikanda
          Zach Charbonnet

and if one of those guys is still on the board round four, might not be a bad idea to double dip.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

what's becoming more and more evident this go 'round, is that in year's past a sure fire RB1 just hasn't fallen to us slotting wise, but this year it seems there might be a good handful of near surefire RB1s for the taking....

Bijan
            Jahmyr
            Zach Evans
            Israel Abanikanda
            Zach Charbonnet

and if one of those guys is still on the board round four, might not be a bad idea to double dip.
            Chargers don’t need a RB in round 1,2,3,4, or 5.

spiller hasn’t even played for gods sake and Ekeler and Kelley are very good. Mm

WR, Edge, TE are light years more important. Plenty of other positions besides those before another RB.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Chargers don’t need a RB in round 1,2,3,4, or 5.

spiller hasn’t even played for gods sake and Ekeler and Kelley are very good. Mm

WR, Edge, TE are light years more important. Plenty of other positions besides those before another RB.
              53 is the number of players rostered on an NFL team, and also the number of yards we gained last Sunday against Seattle.... don't think I follow your logic.

for one, am not drafting for need in most any round, and if an RB is hands down the best player or one that could most help us out.... am going RB right then and there.

if fact, am not against double dipping this go 'round, and as in recent years past there have been good RBs coming out, but none have really fallen into our draft slot.

would also volunteer that Austin is on the backside of his career, and that Kelley's coming out party was just RB interrupted by injury.

and despite you anointing Spiller all that, my suspicion is that he might not be any better than Kelley, if even as good ?? he's also a fourth round RB btw....

am also fairly certain you don't have Sony penciled into your plans for next year either.... that leaves about 2.5 RBs on the depth chart, which by my math, leaves room for @least one and maybe two more ??

Herbert badly needs a running game, Ekeler badly needs to return to being our stellar change of pace back, and even if Kelley returns to recent form, we still have to hedge our bets there, as he may well be on the cusp of delivering the goods, but he has hardly been enough around the block that you can hand over your running game to him, and for the if and when Ekeler might be out and/or go down.

there is some real talent in this draft @RB, and as far as eye can surmise, there is a real chance that the slotting is gonna align w/our draft selections.... we are overdue for an RB1.

ps. and of course who wouldn't mind some more talent @the positions you mentioned, and.... we have Everett, Keenan & Mike, and Joey & Khalil already vs. Ek 'n Joshua @RB.... just sayin'
              Last edited by beachcomber; 10-27-2022, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

wish I was more enamored of that bunch, and.... things can and will change, and.... just cannot leave Tyree off my board. dude is a bear in the woods/bull in a china shop when he's working the pocket. he can also well set the edge against the run, as am not sold on guys that just get sacks (let alone pressures like Jerry in college).... Wilson must be accounted for on every snap, as he can just straight out maul his Olineman if they slip up/fall off any little bit.

and like Verse, there is no consensus that the either of 'em are first round locks, and looking more closely @Verse, not sure he's a first round talent, as like Jermaine Johnson before him, really good looking player, albeit not sure he's the total pkg quite yet.... little bit unrefined and w/some work to do on things, and as opposed to someone like Kancey, who is already a refined technician.... traits that have served us well when evaluating/drafting Chargers Olinemen.
                I guess I've always viewed Wilson as a 4-3 DE. But defenses play multiple/hybrid these days... so I could see Tyree playing in our defense. I've watched some 2022 tape of him yesterday... he's added muscle and strength since 2021. As for "that bunch" I provided... they are very good vs the run. Strong and long. They disengage from run blockers with long arms and quick hands. They convert speed to power very well... not just pass rushers. Verse I put at the end of the 1st round.

RB is a luxury at this point. We are dreadfully thin @CB and soon to be thin @OLB. Whereas, we have 2 young RB's to groom in Kelley and Spiller.
                LB and safety are the culprits of our bad run defense. These dudes are near the end of their rookie contracts... and not much in depth behind them.
                EDGE/CB/S/LB... in that order.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

We have needs everywhere. I go BPA.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I guess I've always viewed Wilson as a 4-3 DE. But defenses play multiple/hybrid these days... so I could see Tyree playing in our defense. I've watched some 2022 tape of him yesterday... he's added muscle and strength since 2021. As for "that bunch" I provided... they are very good vs the run. Strong and long. They disengage from run blockers with long arms and quick hands. They convert speed to power very well... not just pass rushers. Verse I put at the end of the 1st round.

RB is a luxury at this point. We are dreadfully thin @CB and soon to be thin @OLB. Whereas, we have 2 young RB's to groom in Kelley and Spiller.
                    LB and safety are the culprits of our bad run defense. These dudes are near the end of their rookie contracts... and not much in depth behind them.
                    EDGE/CB/S/LB... in that order.
                    am not sure that Tyree isn't off the board by the time we draft round one.... ?? and aren't Joey 'n Khalil more 4-3 ends than EDs ??

and really like Verse's intangibles, but something there wants to say he's a second round talent, and that now sounds/looks like he might go earlier than later round one ??

Siaki Ika and Sewell are two other guys that I really like, that really seem like second round talents, that might both go round one as well ??

and love me some Bijan, but between Philly and the Fins, would be a surprise for him to make it past both those teams and to us round one.

and would be happy w/Skoronski in the first stanza, and.... is Calijah Kancey gonna end up being a first rounder ??

and @CB, sure seems like we have three starters going forward, unless Callahan suffers a major injury, and.... personally not ruling out that we might stay the course w/Mike D.

@LB, am leaning Roquan, and no matter how improbable that might be, as thinkin' we'll still have Murray, even if our FO moves on from Tranquill, and not to mention other bodies back there as well.

and could see safety earlier than later, but really don't think you build a SB team from the outside in ??

big period of discovery ahead, and hoping one of the linemen are left standing for us round one, or that somehow Bijan stems the tide and shows up come our round one selection.

who are your coupla few/handful of first rounders on your wish list.... are you that far along yet ??

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Yikes how do you not catch that Washington. Could be a top 5 TE in the draft. Getting dogged for his short arms.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

So Bowers comes back on the next play and totally one ups Washington. Bowers is gonna be a nice TE when eligible. Georgia is loaded at TE wow.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                          So Bowers comes back on the next play and totally one ups Washington. Bowers is gonna be a nice TE when eligible. Georgia is loaded at TE wow.
                          Bowers is on my want list. Only a Sophomore. Good all around TE, and was impressive last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X