2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

am hoping for a Feiler restructure, and there is Hopkins monies as well, albeit Callahan is not the only FA I'd be after, and....

you and I have different figures for his resign, as think I'm about $5m less than you, @$6m or so, and as don't think you can go just on this last season, as 'tis great that he stayed healthy this year, but given his track record before that, would be hard pressed to back up the (Brinks) truck loaded w/dough for him ??

not sure we could get him for as little as Jolt suggests, but when you have someone playing that well, and given the ? that is JC Jack, think you've gotta find a way to sign him, and yes....

am not as studied re: the cap as you and others here, and am under the impression that we're in for a cold shower or coupla few the next coupla few seasons w/losing valuable players.

do think that Sportrac and other sites use inflated amounts re: market value, as they don't want to taint the waters w/agents and players ??
    Agree, Sportrac is real inflated imo.

Not sure we can get Callahan quite that cheap either but wouldn't rule it out. The only thing going for him in that regard is he has played every game this year,....for a change.

I'm only interested in 2 outside free agents for us besides our own.

Minshew and I think Dre' Mont Jones would be a good pickup for us.

He has 22 sacks in his 4 seasons, is only 25 years old & has been a nice penetrating DL for Denver and plays the run pretty decent. He is listed at 281 lbs which some will say is light but Donald is 280 and Fox is only 275.

Not sure if we could afford him as I'd also like to keep Pipkins. Likely need to restructure a couple guys.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

am hoping for a Feiler restructure, and there is Hopkins monies as well, albeit Callahan is not the only FA I'd be after, and....

you and I have different figures for his resign, as think I'm about $5m less than you, @$6m or so, and as don't think you can go just on this last season, as 'tis great that he stayed healthy this year, but given his track record before that, would be hard pressed to back up the (Brinks) truck loaded w/dough for him ??

not sure we could get him for as little as Jolt suggests, but when you have someone playing that well, and given the ? that is JC Jack, think you've gotta find a way to sign him, and yes....

am not as studied re: the cap as you and others here, and am under the impression that we're in for a cold shower or coupla few the next coupla few seasons w/losing valuable players.

do think that Sportrac and other sites use inflated amounts re: market value, as they don't want to taint the waters w/agents and players ??
      I'm surprised you want Feiler back...maybe you think Pipkens is gone, and Salyer to RT? Salyer has shown me a lot...gotta see him in the starting lineup next year, but think we are keeping Pipkens...that leaves him replacing Feiler...I just think he has shown too much to put him back on the bench...and he can still be our swing tackle if someone goes down, if we add some OG depth in the middle rounds...he can kick out to tackle, while the depth piece moves into guard. But that's just my take on the oline...
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Send PM

On another note, in this year's draft, it seems once again thin on blue chip players (top ten or so picks) followed by a deep seoond tier group, of very useful players, out to 50 or 60...IMO. If the best player at their position falls to us, like a B. Robinson, Branch, Torrence, or Mayer...I pull the trigger...and big maybe on Mayer...Maybe even one of the second tier Edge...but otherwise, considering the class in the second round, and our future cap issues with Herbies contract, followed by Slater, I would see us as willing sellers in the first round, to try and pick up more day 2 picks....get younger and deeper.

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Send PM

Drew Sanders has caught my eye....another smart, high motor, football playing Jesse...I compare him to Jack Campbell in value, though they are different players, to be sure. Both smart, high motor guys who just know how to play the game, instinctively...the difference being whereas Campbell is more geared as a between the tackles pounder as his strength, Sanders has great range sideline to sideline with his speed and agility, pass rushing chops, and upside in coverage...but he does need some more development in his game... In fact, he is relatively inexperienced as an off ball LB, but because of this, may have more upside than Campbell, while Jack is the more polished prospect, to be sure.

At 230 and change, he could stand to put on a few pounds of muscle, to help hold up between the tackles...at 6'5", he certainly has the frame for it. From the start, could be valuable on special teams, and maybe even get some reps as a situational pass rusher/blitzer in some packages....he actually started his career as an undersized Edge at Alabama, before transferring to Arkansas, where he got a chance to play as a LB.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I'm surprised you want Feiler back...maybe you think Pipkens is gone, and Salyer to RT? Salyer has shown me a lot...gotta see him in the starting lineup next year, but think we are keeping Pipkens...that leaves him replacing Feiler...I just think he has shown too much to put him back on the bench...and he can still be our swing tackle if someone goes down, if we add some OG depth in the middle rounds...he can kick out to tackle, while the depth piece moves into guard. But that's just my take on the oline...
            agree that there appears to be some OG/IOL options in the draft, and my thought re: Feiler, is that if we take the out in his contract, we're still gonna need to sign a vet hedge/depth piece for the line, which might as well be him.... as long as he is willing to restructure.... question is: what is his fair/market value atm, and can we fit that in our budget/under the cap ??

and really would like to see if Salyer can pick up the center position, as we def need a Linsley hedge for the duration of his contract, and Salyer mentioned that he was interested in learning the center position, and.... Jamaree hasn't been exactly fleet of foot on the edge, so not sure if he's a guard or tackle, or.... OC ?? think he is good depth regardless, and obviously a capable starter.

re: Pips, agree that he has shown starter potential, and wonder if he doesn't price himself out of our budget @RT ??

think it smart to keep 'em all, and @least do our darnedest to bring them in @fair market value, and.... if not, then there is always the draft, as am def looking to bring in the all/each of an OC, OG and OT this go 'round.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm only interested in 2 outside free agents for us besides our own.

Minshew and I think Dre' Mont Jones would be a good pickup for us.

He has 22 sacks in his 4 seasons, is only 25 years old & has been a nice penetrating DL for Denver and plays the run pretty decent. He is listed at 281 lbs which some will say is light but Donald is 280 and Fox is only 275.

Not sure if we could afford him as I'd also like to keep Pipkins. Likely need to restructure a couple guys.
              if you like Dre'Mont Jones, why not Calijah Kancey in the draft ??
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

in hindsight woulda prolly gone Sewell round three, as he went @107, and.... not sure why they didn't stop me for our sixth ??

Screenshot 2022-12-29 005317.jpg

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

in hindsight woulda prolly gone Sewell round three, as he went @107, and.... not sure why they didn't stop me for our sixth ??

No Running backs. Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller are plenty of talent. The problem with our run game isn’t the RB’s, it’s the OL players or scheme that can’t open up holes for them to get to the second level.

It’s like complaining about your LB’s when your DL is porous as Swiss cheese.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

No Running backs. Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller are plenty of talent. The problem with our run game isn’t the RB’s, it’s the OL players or scheme that can’t open up holes for them to get to the second level.

It’s like complaining about your LB’s when your DL is porous as Swiss cheese.
                    Ekelor isnt getting any younger, Kelley gets dinged up, though I do like him when he actually gets to play, and Spiller has shown nothing....so when the best RB since Barkley lands in your lap at 22, hard to pass up. I wouldnt double up with Gibbs in the 3rd, but absolutely have a hard time passing on Bijan.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Ekelor isnt getting any younger, Kelley gets dinged up, though I do like him when he actually gets to play, and Spiller has shown nothing....so when the best RB since Barkley lands in your lap at 22, hard to pass up. I wouldnt double up with Gibbs in the 3rd, but absolutely have a hard time passing on Bijan.
                      I would have no problem passing up the best RB. Too many other positions in much dire needs.

Besides….if you want bang for the buck in terms of running yards….get a road grade OL that opens lanes for ALL your backs.

Telesco has made this mistake for years taking RB’s in first round while neglecting OL. Should be the opposite and he may have finally wised up with Slater, Johnson, and Salyer, but it’s still weak in opening running lanes.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

the game today was a good example/illustration of why 'tis important to fine tune our O, and as the Indy D was deflated due to the ineptitude of its O.

we need an RB1, TE2, and an IOL.... we also need to spell Storm and Sony Michel.

on D, the only starter we really need to replace/account for is Tranq.
                        Tranq has 129 tackles and 5 sacks with 1 interception. IMO he is a plus player on this D.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Jamir in the 3rd is excellent. Bijan in the first is a luxury we can’t afford IMO. No one in the NFL believes that a great running game will win you championships. It’s now secondary to a great D and a great passing game. And I’d love to have Bijan for the entertainment value.

Also, waiting for round 4 to start tacking linemen is why we ended up with bad lines. Gotta put in the foundational pieces before the fun pieces.

As for PFF, I can’t get a decent mock out of them to save my like.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X