2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I've liked Patterson for a while now. He'll probably go in the 4th round range.
    The guys I keep coming back to are Cody Mauch and Jordan McFadden, though.
    Mauch has been sneaking onto people's radar. I believe he eventually becomes a 4th round pick.
    McFadden has stayed under the radar... probably his body build @OT. I think his spot eventually is at guard.
    I get a Billy Price vibe from Schmitz.
    :couch:
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      1) DT Bryan Bresee over OG O'Cyrus Torrence * if this guy is on the board when we draft, would guess we'd give heavy consideration to a five man front
      2) NT Siaki Ika over TE Dalton Kincaid * hate to pass on the pass catching TE, but just don't have many chances at a bona fide NT
      3) ILB Noah Sewell over DT Calijah Kancey and OG Cooper Beebe * the more naysayers the mo' bettah, as personally think this guy is just what our D needs
      4) CB Julius Brents over RB Israel Abanikanda * risky pick here, but chances are we won't be able to afford Mike D. when he comes up for renewal
      5) OC Eli Cox * just think this is the best guy for us and could end up being tremendous value down here
      6) OT Connor Galvin * right now we are Pips, Sarell and Storm for OTs 2-3-4, and think it wise, not to mention an imperative to have a replacement in the mix
      7) CB Cameron Brown over ED YaYa Diaby and RB Camerun Peoples * would love to have some extra picks here, but not willing to pass on the injury risk that is a top shelf corner otherwise
      8) DT Dante Stills, OG Henry Bainvalu, ILB Palaie Gaotete IV, RB Ulysses Bentley IV, ILB Drake Thomas, WR Justin Shorter * depth pls
      I LOVE O'Cyrus late in round one for us at OLG.

See Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans !!!!

O'Cyrus has identical size/skillset to Nicks. Hopefully there will be no methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

Activating our running game for Herbert and Lombardi, using the decade + old SB champ New Orleans Saints template, is the winning play. :thinking:

(Sean Payton sightings at Charger games are for him to see in person how his/Lombardi's offense is being defended these days. This will be useful for SP in AZ next year.) :shifty:
      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 12-16-2022, 11:01 AM.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

56. Chicago Bears: Demarvion Overshown, ILB, Texas

The Bears take a replacement for Roquan Smith.

Thus far in 2022, Overshown has 95 tackles, four sacks and five passes broken up. He recorded 74 tackles, two passes broken up and two sacks in 2021. In 2020, he totaled 60 tackles, one sack, two forced fumbles, two interceptions and seven passes defended. Overshown is a fast linebacker with crazy track speed and athleticism. He can really run and has coverage potential, but the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder can get destroyed in the ground game and needs to get bigger, stronger and tougher for the NFL.
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I LOVE O'Cyrus late in round one for us at OLG.

See Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans !!!!

O'Cyrus has identical size/skillset to Nicks. Hopefully there will be no methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

Activating our running game for Herbert and Lombardi, using the decade + old SB champ New Orleans Saints template, is the winning play. :thinking:

(Sean Payton sightings at Charger games are for him to see in person how his/Lombardi's offense is being defended these days. This will be useful for SP in AZ next year.) :shifty:
          took alotta grief for pimpin' Carl Nicks back in the day....
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            Somebody's overlooking the Golden Domer...

wu can do this stuff blindfolded.
            :More Q Please::More Q Please:

63. Philadelphia Eagles: Jarret Patterson, C, Notre Dame

The Eagles grab a versatile blocker with starting potential.

Patterson (6-4, 307) entered the 2022 season having been a 3-year starter, and Notre Dame had graded that Patterson had not allowed a sack throughout his career. Patterson is a polished technician who is a solid blocker in the ground game and in pass protection. He is extremely experienced as a 4-year starter and could compete for a starting job immediately in the NFL. Team sources say Patterson could start at guard or center as a pro.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

1 Brian Branch S/Slot versatility replaces Adderley
              2 Siaki Ika/Mazzi Smith NT moving AJ to 3T for a massive front 5 makes life easier on the LBs
              3 Cody Mauch T/G replaces Feiler if he won't restructure, If Pipkins is the man at RT Mauch provides the depth at T and G
              4 KJ Henry Edge 4th rd looks like a sweet spot for edge depth
              5 Ricky Stromberg C good insurance & plays some immediately to give Linsley rest/recovery time. Will go higher like Luke Fortner if football IQ tests off the charts.
              6 Luke Schoonmaker TE based on Guyton and Carter returning at WR
              7 Aidan O'Connell QB
              Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 12-22-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

22. Los Angeles Chargers: Jaxon Smith-Njigba (WR – OSU)

This is one of my favorite pairings this cycle, and I think it’s quite likely to occur, given Jaxon Smith-Njigba‘s injury. The Los Angeles Chargers have been dealing with plenty of their own injuries at the wide receiver position and both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are approaching the end of their contracts. Some of their younger receivers have shown flashes, but nothing bankable. Smith-Njigba would be an electric pick to pair up with Justin Herbert.
                25. Baltimore Ravens: Jalin Hyatt (WR – UT)

Jalin Hyatt blazed his way to a late first-round selection by the Baltimore Ravens, who are struggling to field a decent corps of pass-catchers. He’s not as technically savvy as the other top wideouts and only produced for one season, but his explosion was big enough for teams to take notice. Hyatt can step in as the top slot receiver, so Rashod Bateman can operate almost entirely outside.

27. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Mayer (TE – ND)

This is another perfect match. The Bengals’ offense has been rolling lately but tends to break down when one of their star receivers gets injured. Michael Mayer is a pass-catching weapon that has also shown massive strides in his run-blocking skills this season. Mayer led the FBS in total offensive grade, per PFF. He’d juice that Bengals’ offense up immediately.​

31. Buffalo Bills: Bijan Robinson (RB – TEX)

Honestly, I think Bijan Robinson will go higher than this. For now, I just want to make sure people are aware that Robinson deserves to go in the first round of the NFL draft. The Bills are an excellent landing spot for him, as they have a strong roster and can afford the luxury pick. Robinson exploded for 1,894 scrimmage yards and 20 touchdowns for the Texas Longhorns this season. He has the burst and cutting ability to translate to the NFL immediately.​​

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Faller: TE Darnell Washington, Georgia

AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis

Darnell Washington still has the scariest potential among the tight ends in this draft class. The Georgia junior is listed at 6'7" and 270 pounds, which puts him closer to offensive tackle measurements than a typical modern tight end.

Washington plays to his frame in the run game, too. He is an overwhelming force at the point of attack and can completely blow defensive ends out of the play. Moreover, Washington does fairly well to move around when pulling, splitting or climbing to the second level, making him a real weapon in the ground game.

Even so, Washington still didn't quite play to expected levels this season as a receiver.

He's not going to be George Kittle or anything, but his size and impressive movement skills give him all of the necessary tools to be a real force. Instead, Washington was more of a sporadic weapon who went stretches of games without more than a catch or two. His best performance of the season came against Mississippi State, against whom he caught only five passes for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Washington's lack of receiving production is partly a byproduct of sharing snaps with Brock Bowers, the best tight end in the country. However, Washington also failed at the catch point more than a player his size should, which raises some doubt about what he is as a pass-catcher as this point in his development.

In due time, Washington still could be a complete menace. He has the requisite size and athletic tools to dominate in the NFL. However, Washington needs to hone his craft as a receiver and play to his size more when working in traffic.

Derrik Klassen

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Faller: IOL Olusegun Oluwatimi, Michigan

Joe Robbins/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Michigan's Olusegun Oluwatimi is a leader on the country's best offensive line. He has the processing skills to become a starting center in the NFL, and he won both the Rimington and Outland Trophy this season, which get awarded to the nation's best center and interior lineman, respectively.

Upon closer inspection, though, his physical limitations tend to become apparent.

The Virginia transfer is listed at 6'3" and 307 pounds, which checks the size boxes on paper. However, Oluwatimi struggles to hold the point of attack, gain control and finish blocks consistently, and he's closer to a middle-of-the-road athlete.

The graduate student executes assignments well and gets to the right spots while making all of the line calls, which are important factors at the pivot. Still, it is difficult to envision his mediocre power translating into more than a functional starter over his NFL career.

Oluwatimi's intangibles can keep him in the conversation as a Day 2 draft prospect. His performance in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, when he faces all-star competition, will be vital for his final evaluation as a prospect.

As of now, his performances leaves you wanting more when it comes to sustaining and finishing blocks.

Brandon Thorn

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

If we don't take Siaki Ika, I will protest.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        Faller: TE Darnell Washington, Georgia

AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis

Im not as high on Washington as a TE as others. I think he ends up a OT in time. He would make a decent 2nd TE in a 2 TE set but as your #1 TE, nah. Bowers is a much better TE than Washington at Georgia.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I've liked Patterson for a while now. He'll probably go in the 4th round range.
                          The guys I keep coming back to are Cody Mauch and Jordan McFadden, though.
                          Mauch has been sneaking onto people's radar. I believe he eventually becomes a 4th round pick.
                          McFadden has stayed under the radar... probably his body build @OT. I think his spot eventually is at guard.
                          TT could get Mauch in the 3rd.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X