2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I would have no problem passing up the best RB. Too many other positions in much dire needs.

Besides….if you want bang for the buck in terms of running yards….get a road grade OL that opens lanes for ALL your backs.

Telesco has made this mistake for years taking RB’s in first round while neglecting OL. Should be the opposite and he may have finally wised up with Slater, Johnson, and Salyer, but it’s still weak in opening running lanes.
    who are the OL you like in this draft ?? and do you think they'll be on the board come thirtysomething/sixtysomething ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

and jftr, would love me some Bijan, but really looking like it might be Siaki Ika by my take, as not sure that the likes of O'Cyrus or Verse is gonna be on the board so late in the first ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        and jftr, would love me some Bijan, but really looking like it might be Siaki Ika by my take, as not sure that the likes of O'Cyrus or Verse is gonna be on the board so late in the first ??
        The guy I see most often in my mocks is Verse for us in the 1st. A solid edge but probably not a game changer. That’s what you get picking late.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

I would have no problem passing up the best RB. Too many other positions in much dire needs.

Besides….if you want bang for the buck in terms of running yards….get a road grade OL that opens lanes for ALL your backs.

Telesco has made this mistake for years taking RB’s in first round while neglecting OL. Should be the opposite and he may have finally wised up with Slater, Johnson, and Salyer, but it’s still weak in opening running lanes.
          I would bet the house that next years oline is gonna be Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, Pip...why would I spend a first round pick on a player that is gonna sit the bench? RB, WR, TE, and pretty much any defender will be able to contribute from day 1, even if they arent starters, or playing every down...but the oline stays the same, all game...so unless they dont pay Pip, or relegate Salyer to the bench, which would be a waste, any oline we take is for depth...we dont spend firsts on that.

It really depends on who is available, but if pickings are slim, taking the best RB to come out in years, late in the first, is a safe and smart move. Ekelor touches the ball too often...he goes down, this offense is in trouble. Not only could Bijan share the load, he has the talent to be a feature back if needed. Injury prevention(by sharing the load) AND insurance for the RB position.
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I would bet the house that next years oline is gonna be Slater, Salyer, Linsley, Johnson, Pip...why would I spend a first round pick on a player that is gonna sit the bench? RB, WR, TE, and pretty much any defender will be able to contribute from day 1, even if they arent starters, or playing every down...but the oline stays the same, all game...so unless they dont pay Pip, or relegate Salyer to the bench, which would be a waste, any oline we take is for depth...we dont spend firsts on that.

It really depends on who is available, but if pickings are slim, taking the best RB to come out in years, late in the first, is a safe and smart move. Ekelor touches the ball too often...he goes down, this offense is in trouble. Not only could Bijan share the load, he has the talent to be a feature back if needed. Injury prevention(by sharing the load) AND insurance for the RB position.
            Reported.
            P1. Block Destruction
            P2. Shocking Effort
            P3. Ball Disruption
            P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

who are the OL you like in this draft ?? and do you think they'll be on the board come thirtysomething/sixtysomething ??
              I think TE and WR are bigger priority but later in the draft if it’s between a RB vs OL say in rounds 4,5,6….I’m taking the OL. Our starting OL can’t pass or run block worth a damn so it still needs work. Certainly needs better backups which could be groomed to be starters.

We’ve got enough RB’s. but certainly bring some in with the UDFA’s

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Cheez-It Bowl.
                What a concept.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

I think it's still early to say what position we are most in need of because we don't know who they will keep/release. I know we can't expect to keep all of our players back because of the salary cap but until we have a picture of who they will sign, it's all pure guess.

I can clearly see a use for a good TE because the TE group we have this year is not good enough even if they all come back. On the other hand, I like our CB's but if one of them leaves as a FA, that will be a big need. We can use help in the DL. A speedy WR would be nice but our top three are pretty darn good.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Cheez-It Bowl.
                    What a concept.
                    It works, I already ate about a pound of cheese.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I think it's still early to say what position we are most in need of because we don't know who they will keep/release. I know we can't expect to keep all of our players back because of the salary cap but until we have a picture of who they will sign, it's all pure guess.

I can clearly see a use for a good TE because the TE group we have this year is not good enough even if they all come back. On the other hand, I like our CB's but if one of them leaves as a FA, that will be a big need. We can use help in the DL. A speedy WR would be nice but our top three are pretty darn good.
                      Agree. Maybe we can find a small school WR with good measureables, 4.3 speed that hasn't set the world on fire ,yet Day 2-3 All you have to do is get behind secondary to have an impact. Catch a pass occasionally is a bonus.
                      I like TE also, take Mayer if we have a chance..

Comment

• Floyal Rush
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2022
                        • Send PM

Mayer will be gone by the time it’s our turn IMO. I want a good OL 1st rd. Then a solid TE. I like the idea of a small school WR with some speed. We need good depth in the trenches.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I think TE and WR are bigger priority but later in the draft if it’s between a RB vs OL say in rounds 4,5,6….I’m taking the OL. Our starting OL can’t pass or run block worth a damn so it still needs work. Certainly needs better backups which could be groomed to be starters.

We’ve got enough RB’s. but certainly bring some in with the UDFA’s
                          2020 Ekeler missed a third of the season, which would leave you w/Kelley or for the if and when he's out, Spiller as your starting RB.... that's the definition of exposure, as don't recall Spiller asserting himself as of yet, and just the other game Kelley averaged less than 3 YPC, and that wasn't as the feature back.

and the theory that it's all the Oline, doesn't hold water, as have mentioned before that when Mathews had the same Oline as the other Chargers backs, he averaged a full yard more/carry than any other RB, and.... for that matter, and as mentioned before, when Denzel was in on run D, our run D gave up a yard/carry less than w/him off the field.

a feature RB would make a hellah difference in this O, 'specially in the red zone and to close out games, not to mention that Ekeler's YPC would prolly jump a bit as well.

and you like Michael Mayer ?? or do you think we're going to be able to swing a Dalton Kincaid selection mid second round somehow ?? are you willing to trade up to get him ?? or are you sold on Luke Musgrave ?? or are you willing to put out the draft capital for the likes of a Darnell Washington ?? and are you certain he's gonna be all that ?? is he gonna be that much better than we already have in McKitty ??

and the speedbug flyweight receivers.... do you have someone in mind, or is just generalities for now ?? and why would you go WR before RB, 'specially when we run 4 or 5 deep @WR ??

O'Cyrus Torrence, Cooper Beebe, Sedrick Van Pran are all prolly much better value/gambits than most any of the speed merchant wideouts, no ?? and which OT are you so comfortable in putting out draft capital for ?? far as eye can tell, there is a fair bit of uncertainty 'round most of the guys not named Skoronski, and even he has peoples sliding him inside to guard.

without naming names, it's hard to say where the value lies, as generalities don't follow the law of averages, until after the fact and in hindsight, and as you know, even the shrewdest of GMs bat well below .500 after they take leave of day one.... many of the rounds you are referring are oft to have much more than a handful of players that really pan out.

just curious who these TEs/WRs are that you covet over the likes of the linemen, i.e. O'Cyrus, Siaki, Verse and the such ??

Comment

Working...
                          X