2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He hasn't been able to do that .... why expect change with the same pieces?
    Going into a season hoping something works out, never works out for the Chargers.
    He needs to adapt his Fangio based design (even more) and play modern football. OCs have solved the Fangio riddle, its no longer effective.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He needs to adapt his Fangio based design (even more) and play modern football. OCs have solved the Fangio riddle, its no longer effective.
      He needs the starters to play, like any good D.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

With staley being our DC we BETTER score 30 plus
        We allowed an avg 22.6 ppg last year. Not good, but good enough for 10 wins when we scored 23 ppg on O.
        Being in the high 20's on O, a very conservative estimate, would get us in the playoffs with last year's D.
        I'll be shocked if the '23 D is not better than avg.I expect top 10.

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Exactly why you dont use your best off season assets...picks in round 1 and 2 on Staley's defence. You construct an elite offence around the franchises best player and go toe to toe with Mahomes and Burrow...then you hope Staley can coach the defence to mid level to hang in there.

Tell me what defenses can consistently shut down the likes of Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrwnce anyways. Offence is the game now.
          Completely agree with this!!!!! The "elite" defenses are a thing of the past. The NFL is making it so much harder on defenses with their BS rule "interpretations" like roughing the passer, defensive holding, the tackles being able to "slightly" start before the ball is snapped.

The Chargers need to focus on scoring 30 a game. Someone name me the last time a "dominant" defensive team won a Super Bowl. We have an elite QB time to start exploiting that

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

Completely agree with this!!!!! The "elite" defenses are a thing of the past. The NFL is making it so much harder on defenses with their BS rule "interpretations" like roughing the passer, defensive holding, the tackles being able to "slightly" start before the ball is snapped.

The Chargers need to focus on scoring 30 a game. Someone name me the last time a "dominant" defensive team won a Super Bowl. We have an elite QB time to start exploiting that
            Tampa Bay won a couple of years ago with a dominant defense

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Now that Oline is off the board for 1st round, they need a TE , Edge and a WR with the first 3 picks. Then LBer, then depth at Oline and secondary.

I think they should be monitoring Leonard Fournette if they trade Ek.

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

True but they also had Brady at QB. I am just saying you don't see many Ravens with Dilfers anymore. Eli Manning and the Giants were probably the last average O better D to win the Super Bowl

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Fangio signed on to bring his "archaic" defensive ideas to South Beach. He'll have Xavien Howard/Jalen Ramsey, Bradley Chubb/Jaelan Phillips (and lol no LBs) !!

StaleyD will have Michael Davis/Asante Samuel (JCJ?), Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack. I expect great improvement this time around for StaleyD, with better health, personnel tweaks, and seasoning in implimentation of concepts.

The back and forth of the cycles of football marches on. We shall see.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

That is one outlier in past 5 years, and they had Brady and a good offence

SB was 38-35

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Sometimes the defensive fronts create enough harassment. Sometimes they don't.

The goal is having adequate protection for these deadly QBs to do their thing. Orlando's in Cincy. Jawaan's in KC. LAC has an intact Oline unit for 3 years.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If leaked by the organization, that possibly means they are targeting Calijah Kancey or Breesee at #21.
                        Probably Kancey if that were the case.

Everyone has a 1rst round grade on Jalen Carter ..... even if he is dropped from their boards.
                        No news there.
                        Lots of folks are down on this d-line group, this is not exactly going to hurt the chargers, now if they had 7-8 guys ranked as first rounders, then we’d need to talk about firing our scouting department…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I appreciate the nuance and I’m not a doctrinaire either. I think we solved the Norton thing, Sarrell is backup to Salyer in my imagined model, no team has 5 starting OTs so the trenchers gotta just forget that shit. Now we need backup interior OL. I am more concerned about C because Clapp got so abused he took the entire OL down with him when he had to go in. They need a C/G backup (or 2?), thats the new priority with Pipkins signed.

But i see lots of places that Rd1/2 could start or be in regular rotation and contribute extensively other than OL. We need to maximize the delta improvement of the team overall. Chargers invested heavily in OL; upgrading backups now is a Day 3 objective, not Day 1 or 2.
                          I realize they just extended Sarell, so the Bolt brass must see some upside with him...but...I'd STILL like us to pick up a solid FA swing T-G and draft another, at least in mid rounds or so...

Comment

Working...
                          X