2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

In that case we need a bonifide offense that can beat the best of them. To be quite honest, it is hard for me to say bad thing against Herbert these days since he became a Charger. That whole Hurts vs. Herbert convo is beat to dead and i rather not. But one thing can't go without mention is that Hurts and Herbert came in under very circumstances. One was a second round pick that people to this day still has doubt about, one is a high first round typical franchise pick. Hurts has improved so much since he got drafted, his footwork, his throwing motion is more quite, upper body rotation. Dude can throw on the run just as well as in the pocket. On the other hand, the most noticible imporvement happens from college to pro; other than that his footwork hasn't improved to that pro level. For a QB with his playing style, it probably be best for him to be able to shuffle and set his base.

Watch Tom Brady go through a variety of drills at the 2000 NFL Scouting Combine.

Say what you want about him running like a drunk fret boy, Tom Brady can shuffle and move dropping back. See 00:31 in the video.

Also, one of the knock I remember of Brett Favre early career especially the falcons years, is that he didn't have the touch for dump offs. He threw heat and WR in atlanta couldn't handle it, but he couldn't complete a simple high RPM, high lobber to catch the RB on the run. Later in GB, you start to see the higher RPM and slower but higher, quicker release throws that spins out quick to give defense very little time to react.

Here is all of Brett Favre's passing accomplishments in his 1991 rookie season. This unbelievable performance helped convince Ron Wolf to trade a Packers 1s...

IMO Brett Favre learnt as he gets more seasoned the importance of how he delivers the ball, most noticibly imo the way he emphasize the spin, the RPM more and use it to control the flight on those lobbing screen dump offs and throw towering high long ball that fly stable with big spins on it seemingly dropping out of the sky. Those short side arm thing that Hebert does, i can trade that for a nice little lob for at least half the time.

Bret Favre, playing in the wake of his father's death in a critical Monday Night showdown in Oakland, has the best game of his career completing 22 of 30 pas...

Would love to see Herbert think more about touch since he already got the fast ball and placement down pretty well.

Lastly, I do think about sometimes, are the Chargers falling into that mindset that Herbert is proven and that they only had to built around him to be successful? Maybe perhaps are they a little complacent with Herbert's improvement so far? Herbert is beyond potential, he had done it he is very very talented; but it almost seems like he is going this far by talent right now. I see the fast ball and the placement, but I also see that he can't throw it any slower because defense that is ball watching knows its coming. Acho called Herbert a "Social Media QB", that was very harsh. I think what he meant probably was that Herbert's throwing motion is very choreographed. He has that classic javelin throwing motion that take it way back and whips it forward. Very linear, very big, Very Jeff George. Big motion gives tales, especially to good safeties and zone guys. Also, with the big motion, his off the script quick things are not his strength.

The fastball and placement was his bread and butter coming out and we got it, but to me I would like to see a nice dipping sinker, a big curve ball, the change up. Afterall, his arm suppose to be the thing that is his strength, so don't you want to see that arm has the whole repertoire?
    These are good vids to consume in terms of QB development. IMHO, Herbert's next step is not yards/TDs type of accolades. He's got historical numbers to back it up. I think his next step from an individual standpoint is vocal leadership. Rile up your offense. Perhaps 1 or 2 times per game during the course of an offensive funk would be perfect. Tell a WR hey you've got to catch those, hey o-linemen get your mind right we're driving this ball, hey OC that play isn't working.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      Bijan Robinson RB- Our run game is a weakness, and improvement here would also benefit the pass game, and keep the defense off the field longer. Bijan is the best back since Barkley, and Ekelor himself has eluded he likes when someone else is sharing the load...one could argue that Bijan-Eke could be the best on paper RB duo in the country next season...and as Eke approaches the twilight of his career, we have a feature back ready to take the reigns full time...not to mention great insurance against our #1RB getting injured and missing time.
      ^ This. Great points. Even though I'd like us to go IDL or Edge in round 1, if Bijan is there at #21, I'm going to take a long hard look at pulling the trigger...

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This. Great points. Even though I'd like us to go IDL or Edge in round 1, if Bijan is there at #21, I'm going to take a long hard look at pulling the trigger...
        How about a short dance to the podium?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Im A Bijan fan, but also a fan of other players we can get at 21...

Interesting story...was checking out his backup at texas, Rochon Johnson...Boltjolt gets the footnote...interesting idea in later rounds, more of a downhill runner, reminded me of Josh Kelley when he is actually running well...anyway, on the youtube search, some Spiller highlights also popped up, so I watched them too...what happened with this kid? I then watched his tape vs Falcons. Nothing huge, but some good hard yards...about 4 ypc, couple receptions...I would hope Moore can find a use for this kid...if Spillers head is screwed on right, and he works hard in the offseason, he is as good as anybody we can pick up in this draft after Bijan or Gibbs...

Bijan may be too special to pass up at 21...but aside from that, I am not sure RB is a big need.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• SK21209
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2020
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Every year after the Chargers are eliminated I immediately start spamming the PFF mock draft simulator every day because I don't want to admit the season is over, and then realize its pretty pointless to do mocks in January because these prospects are going to move up and down drastically. Case and point, I've been getting Keion White in the second round in a lot of mocks only to see that Daniel Jeremiah ranked him in his Top 10 and he's getting a lot of buzz at the Senior Bowl. Aside from the set-in-stone Top 10-15, we have no idea where a lot of these guys will fall yet.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

There is the noise out there that ~ 20 prospects have true round one grades. We sit at #21. That is the beginning of figuring this thing out.

I like to look at rounds 2, 3, & 4. Those are where the money shots occur. We have certainly had some questionable things happen there.

However, what I believe everyone is missing is that patience is required with previous round 2, 3, & 4 picks. See Pipkins !

Roster building must include more developing of these cost effective players, the names of which everyone knows. We invested this draft capital in Kelley, McKitty, Rumph II, Woods, Palmer, Spiller, Tranquill, even Otito or Jaimes, round 5.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm a Bijan fan. He's not my top player in the draft so it would depend on who's checked off my list of top players. I'd have that ready the moment pick 20 is announced. The soul searching starts later, PON v BPA. My Pick 21 will be BPA.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Adding someone like Bijan would be a big time addition to the O, but it has me thinking...

Do you think Moore will look at our poor running game and think that with a better scheme, getting Slater back, and with Salyer and Johnson getting another offseason and camp to improve, that Ekeler, Kelley and Spiller are "good enough" and that if we used that pick for a TE or a WR with elite speed that the O would be better? I'm thinking if we drafted a RB in the first round, it will make it harder to address the other needs on the team.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Agreed richpjr, as stated above.
                    We really don't have a feel for what's on Moore's mind yet.
                    I am expecting a new OL coach for starters. We SEEM to have an interest in Zay Flowers, as well as that long armed Gap/Power OG from UCLA.

Who knows ?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Adding someone like Bijan would be a big time addition to the O, but it has me thinking...

Do you think Moore will look at our poor running game and think that with a better scheme, getting Slater back, and with Salyer and Johnson getting another offseason and camp to improve, that Ekeler, Kelley and Spiller are "good enough" and that if we used that pick for a TE or a WR with elite speed that the O would be better? I'm thinking if we drafted a RB in the first round, it will make it harder to address the other needs on the team.
                      I think the chargers should keep their options open, WR, TE, Edge, RB, because something really good is going to be available at #21 and this team doesn’t have the type of holes it once did, we can argue back and forth about which one of those areas is the bigger need, but the bottom line is most of us here will be happy if they din’t reach and take the best available guy at one of those positions…

Personaly I think Edge, OL, RB and TE will be some of the best values at #21 from studying what other teams are likely to draft, how many QBs are likely to go high etc…

I’m not saying we should draft OL again in round 1 this year, not saying that at all, but I think it’s interesting that the way things are lining up right now, the chargers will be in position to draft a better prospect at 21 than they did at 17 last year, it’s the draft and it’s a crapshoot but that’s the way things are lining up right now, I say this because Edge, TE, and RB are deeper, and because WR in round 1 is not the value it was last year, I hate to say this now, but in retrospect the chargers might’ve been way better off drafting a WR last year and a lineman this year, but hindsight is always 20/20 and with how many good WRs have been coming out on a regular basis and with how much need their has been at OL on this team, it absolutely made sense to reinforce the line and protect our franchise player…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

There will be great depth at DB,
                        my position of highest need.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          There will be great depth at DB,
                          my position of highest need.
                          Yep, it’s making the jt woods pick look even worse now…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X