2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
    At QJs height...speed and especially his YAC....to expect him to also be that MW type who plays that elevated game? The kid would have gone in the top 10. Ok WRs who are totally huge...fast and do everything you want...catch radius..massive leaps...deep threat...crazy skills after the catch etc ...they get drafted high. He needs to round out his game. I like our WR coaching and development over the years. You take him at 21 you have to expect some opportunities to evolve. Lots of WRs with size come into the league lacking a lot of stuff. And most of the time its speed and yac. Tee Higgins cant do what he does after the catch. He isnt the deep threat QJ is. He isnt going to burn you on an end around. DK metcalf was really raw but big and fast. I was floored how low Justin Jefferson went. If you remember he was my top WR in the draft and should have gone much higher. Routes. Speed. Hands. Everything. I think TT took this kid right where he should have gone.

This is why i wasnt really a fan of Mike Williams at 7. I didnt think he had the routes. I wanted CMC desperately. lol

Give him time. Ive really warmed on him. I just think picking him was more about replacing Mike or Keenan soon. And we get all three this season. The other 3 WRs imo were likely slot first types. And i wanted them because it means Keenan and Mike are on the outside...and we have a little speedster to use around the slot and motion. Movement piece. Now Keenan is gonna get tricky with it in the slot. He will crucify guys with his routes. You send Mike and QJ out and its gonna require 4 guys to contain that top end deep stuff. Keenan should always be open. If they take out Keenan...those other guys are 1v1. I like the mismatches and match ups.

Now if we just had a RB that could scare defenses enough to stack the box? Maybe a stud TE? Probably comes next year...when one of our WRs are gone. lol Its time for Spiller to shine.

He need to start working with Herberts ball. Because they are coming in much hotter than hes gonna be used to. So yeah...get that Juggs machine going.
    I'm not tying my horses to that sleigh...If they are going this route I'd hope for at least average performance otherwise were screwed.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm not tying my horses to that sleigh...If they are going this route I'd hope for at least average performance otherwise were screwed.
      Go with reindeers.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Go with reindeers.
        Anything that brings us nice packages...
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Anything that brings us nice packages...
          Its why i own Amazon stock. Because of guys like us. lol

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Watched quite a bit of tape lately of Quentin Johnston. Now I know exactly what bothered me. He has lazy hands. Rarely does he pluck the ball, or extend his arms and fully use his reach, he presses the ball as it comes inside his frame against his body. Don’t know if that habit can be addressed by coaching or learning from Keenan and Mike who both excel high-pointing or decisively snagging the rockets Herbert throws.
            That won't last long!
            Once he gets a Herbert howitzer in the face or off his chest, you bet your ass those hands will get A LOT more active.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Why not take a run at Matt Azzailia San Diego State Punter. Accused of rape but wasn’t at the party when the rape occurd. According to ESPN. he has a great leg. And would be a great punter for us. Talk about impact with defense.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                Why not take a run at Matt Azzailia San Diego State Punter. Accused of rape but wasn’t at the party when the rape occurd. According to ESPN. he has a great leg. And would be a great punter for us. Talk about impact with defense.
                i saw that

Dude got robbed of millions and a NFL career

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree. QJ seems to be a combination of KA and MW. The size and relative speed of MW... but better route running than MW.
                  IMO, either KA or MW will not be brought back (salary cap concerns). Maybe they want to see what QJ develops into... then see which WR produces (and stays healthy). Winner stays... the other goes. KA saves $23 million. MW saves $20 million.

QJ will have to improve drop rate... and get better at contested catches.
                  if you compare the size to MW and the quick twitch to KA then I can kind of see that...I'm not saying QJ is guaranteed to become a superstar player but he has something neither KA or MW have, he has legit power and strength, I think his game is only going to improve but right off the bat he will be able to contribute big plays because of his ability to break tackles and gain extra yards combined with having two teammates that will command a lot of attention and let him get favorable matchups in year one...he could potentially end up having a bigger statistical year than JSN, flowers, and Addison. a lot depends on whether or not he earns Herbert's trust, Herbert needs to realize the importance of developing chemistry with Johnston because he is the future and his over dependance on KA combined with lombo's incompetence did not helped grow his game as a QB, although lombo might take the prize for fucking up his development....
                  Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 05-10-2023, 05:41 AM.
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                    Much as Telesco likes his size traits parameters per position, I find it fascinating he took Jordan McFadden OT/OC? Stocky build, thickly proportioned, with very good arm length. If he’s anything like Salyer, could be steal of Chargers 2023 Draft!
                    just like salyer, McFadden also lacks prototypical size and athleticism to play OT in the NFL, but both guys have the required attributes to play inside, salyer looks like the prototype at guard and McFadden is close to the prototype at center...

Me, I was looking at the top centers in the draft in round 2 and staley and TT were looking at the best projections from college tackle to center in later rounds...the big hit on 6th round salyer certainly encouraged them and the risk of drafting a guy that doesn't work out at 5 is much lower than drafting one of the top centers with a second rounder and having him not work out, especially when you can still find top talent at other more premium positions in the second round...it was a low risk move that they have now attempted three times since staley became the HC and it's not something he invented, it's something he witnessed while working for the rams...yeah James didn't pan out but so what? if they hit on 2 of the three guys everyone will look back and be happy knowing that they drafted two starters with two 5ths and one 6th, with only one becoming a complete bust...

as for Brenden, I still believe that the biggest issue with him is mental, my theory is that he became disenchanted when he realized he would not be given the opportunity to compete for a tackle position which he played in college, that is the only explanation I can think of to make sense of the year he had last season...the guy looked like he just didn't care anymore, like he had spent zero time in the gym, and played like he was almost looking to get cut...thing is the chargers bend over backwards not to cut draft picks, but with the team getting deeper and deeper that approach is bound to change and the tillery shit show last year when injuries were mounting no less might've been the catalyst for that change...jaimes should have been cut in favor of hunter last preseason, that much was obvious...losing hunter when he had clearly put in the work and transformed himself from a PS guy into a viable depth piece as a C/G backup could have really blown up on the team, they were lucky that neither fieler or Zion got hurt last year, James would have been a total shit show, Brenden starting last year would have been unbelievably fucked, shades of 2020 type of fucked...IMO, even when counting Norton, Jaimes was the worse O-lineman on the roster last year...totally unusable...I'm hoping for his sake and for the depth that his emergence would provide, that he has rededicated himself in the gym to improve his strength and conditioning, turn some of that flab to muscle...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

i saw that

Dude got robbed of millions and a NFL career
                      Yeah fucked up hugh. They should put her in jail. How do you lie on someone like that. Knowing he wasn’t there?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Even Brandon Thorn has his misses.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Re: Darnell Washington

Both us and the Ravens passed on DW several times, and we both have former personnel from the Georgia team.

This is a comforting sign that the red flags have merit.
                          I'll root for his individual, professional success (F the steelers) but it'll be interesting to track this unique player.
                          could have been hogwash, I did read somewhere (can't remember) DW had a red flag with a foot concern/injury.

Comment

Working...
                          X