Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    If Hyatt is there in the 2nd would be the obvious pick after grabbing Bijan or Kincaid in the 1st.Oooorrr trade back if Bijan is gone and then grab Hyatt??
    Yes!
    2 weapons with our first 2 picks.
    This is how you best utilize your franchise QB with an already starting caliber OL.
    Hyatt will open the field for everyone else and allow us to be aggressive at the end of halves and in 4th quarters.

My preference is
    1. Washington
    2. Hyatt

Best defense is going to be our offense.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I'd personally be more excited about TE Darnell Washington at #21 than anybody in this receiver class.
      He just doesn't get enough separation for me. I know he's big and strong and wins more of those contested passes than most but in the first round I want a guy that gets open. If Beachcomber is right and Addison will be there at 21, I'm taking him.

Almost any other year, I'd be taking O'Cyrus but I see more need for playmakers this year. But, I do like O'Cyrus, he's the hard nosed tough guy I like in my Guards.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        'nother question that just popped into my head.... is what would Justin do ?? who would he want round one ??

Addison, Mayer, Zay, Kincaid, O'Cyrus, Darnell, Jahmyr or Jalin Hyatt ??

and round two would he, or anyone else, pound the table for.... Josh Downs, Zach Charbonnet, Sam LaPorta, Joe Tippmann or Cedric Tillman ??

and round three, would he or anyone else still be pining for an RB, WR, TE or Olineman ??
        I'd love to know the answer to that question - who would Justin take?
        As I look over your lists of who will be available in the first three rounds I can't help but think what a tough job it is to be a GM making these picks. No matter who you take, you're leaving some awful good players on the board.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

He just doesn't get enough separation for me. I know he's big and strong and wins more of those contested passes than most but in the first round I want a guy that gets open. If Beachcomber is right and Addison will be there at 21, I'm taking him.

Almost any other year, I'd be taking O'Cyrus but I see more need for playmakers this year. But, I do like O'Cyrus, he's the hard nosed tough guy I like in my Guards.
          How about Hyatt ? Great deep threat WR. 6 catches, 207 yds, 5 TDs vs 'Bama was kind of an eye opener. Added to what we have Moore could do bad things to opponent Ds.

Agree about OGs. Previous NO and KC OGs made me jealous.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

As a Washington advocate, I will admit that the seperation is probably my biggest concern too.
            I am depending on him developing that part of his game because I see the necessary movement ability and requisite quickness. He also hasn't had the live reps to grow in that department, but I feel very confident he will get better and Herbert is a master at throwing it to only where his guy can get it.
            really think DW isnt getting credit for his recieving skills. He has very good hands and can catch with them vs using his body (sometimes just one like we saw at the combine!)

I admit Kincaid is the guy when it comes to route running and hands so I'll be thrilled with him also, he's essentially a big WR to me and I would draft him for our offense over any other WR.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

I'd love to know the answer to that question - who would Justin take?
              As I look over your lists of who will be available in the first three rounds I can't help but think what a tough job it is to be a GM making these picks. No matter who you take, you're leaving some awful good players on the board.
              I would guess Herbert would want to throw to Kincaid but idk if he's considering the offense as a whole.

Or maybe he would, who knows how far along justin's football IQ has progressed.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                My kid is gaga over Washington...in house debate, Kincaid vs Washington...its civil war...

But gotta admit...BOTH of us got out of our chairs when he worked that sled at the combine like he was returning an empty garbage can back to the house after trash day...
                I was adamantly opposed to drafting a tight end early: but i'm starting to warm up to Washington.

I see some Gronk in him: can he track the football as well as Gronk? That's what I want to know.
                He seems somewhat capable

He's very raw, but will learn how to use his body more effectively to control defenders and create space, instead of just outmuscling dbs for the ball in the air.
                Then he'll get open more readily on deeper patterns. He's never going to be a precise route runner, accelerating out of cuts, etc.
                He's no Antonio Gates, he's a Gronk type. He's of course an exceptional blocker.

They could use Kincaid, but he just doesn't offer enough for me.

His 4.71 speed won't get him behind anyone in the NFL (unlike college),
                and I don't see much from him other than getting to open spots behind linebackers .... which is nice, and important for tight ends, but not enough.

Nice hands, and nice anticipation of where the ball is going to be,
                but his actual route running, beating dbs at the top of his route,
                or using his body to create space before the throw - i'm not seeing it.
                He's a yac guy in college, but won't be in the pros.

He's 6' 3.5", with 32.5" arms; he's a smaller target than Mwub; he's much slower than Mdub.
                He didn't do any vertical test: one would assume it is not very good.
                Some NFL corners are actually longer than him and far more explosive to the catch point: he doesn't have a ghost of a chance against them.
                He has one year of very good production in college.
                How would Pac 10 coordinators prepare to take away what Utah likes doing with him: we'll never know.
                He has no experience adjusting to teams taking that stuff away.

Yeah, he can learn how to block adequately by the time of his 2nd contract. But he's inadequate now and a 5th year senior to boot
                - so he's had 1 - 2 years more of physical development than other draftees.
                He'll always be limited due to his size and straight line speed.
                He's not a 1rst rounder to me. He has a solid floor.

Hard pass.
                Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-13-2023, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I was adamantly opposed to drafting a tight end early: but i'm starting to warm up to Washington.

I see some Gronk in him: can he track the football as well as Gronk? That's what I want to know.
                  He seems somewhat capable

He's very raw, but will learn how to use his body more effectively to control defenders and create space, instead of just outmuscling dbs for the ball in the air.
                  Then he'll get open more readily on deeper patterns.
                  There are about 4/5 TEs in this draft that already do all that.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Further... as long as you're bringing Winslow into the conversation...

IMO..... Kellen Winslow was a decent blocker, but not a guy who relished that part of the game. Kellen was probably a better blocker than Gates worked himself up to be, but Winslow is that rare Hall of Famer who didn't possess the Love of Contact that you see in most of the 'greats'.

All of this is a build up to saying that Washington is a WILLING blocker who is already at a level above where either Gates or Winslow ever got. He'd instantly be the best blocking TE the Bolts have had since Brandon Manumaleuna, and a far greater receiving threat and coverage nightmare.

I believe Washington is likely to be there at #21, and than Bijan is NOT. So that's why *EYE* am honking for Washington at #21.

Washington would be an instant 'plus' in the run blocking game, where Dalton Kincaid simply would not be.

I'm casting my ballot early.
                    I was talking about Kellen Moore our new OC!!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Further... as long as you're bringing Winslow into the conversation...

IMO..... Kellen Winslow was a decent blocker, but not a guy who relished that part of the game. Kellen was probably a better blocker than Gates worked himself up to be, but Winslow is that rare Hall of Famer who didn't possess the Love of Contact that you see in most of the 'greats'.

All of this is a build up to saying that Washington is a WILLING blocker who is already at a level above where either Gates or Winslow ever got. He'd instantly be the best blocking TE the Bolts have had since Brandon Manumaleuna, and a far greater receiving threat and coverage nightmare.

I believe Washington is likely to be there at #21, and than Bijan is NOT. So that's why *EYE* am honking for Washington at #21.

Washington would be an instant 'plus' in the run blocking game, where Dalton Kincaid simply would not be.

I'm casting my ballot early.
                      you thought Winslow was a decent blocker? I'd beg to differ, respectfully. he was below average as a blocker. i didnt care.

unless you were talking about blocking PKs in playoff games
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

No he doesn't, but he only needs a bit of space given his enormous size.

He's like a pitcher with a great fastball: he needs to learn to throw one off speed pitch, like a change up.
                        Washington needs to run routes underneath using his size to pivot and then wall defenders off; he needs to learn how to push off (legally) to create space underneath,
                        forcing defenders to get closer up in tight quarters. Right now, he just seems to run to spots on underneath or medium routes and turn around.

Once (or if) he learns this and defenders need to work closer to him instead of off him, he'll get more separation, more readily.
                        Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-13-2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

There are about 4/5 TEs in this draft that already do all that.
                          I only see one who is close to being as physical as Gronk and who can get down field as a threat.
                          People were pushing Mayer as the next Gronk, i just don't see it.
                          Not anywhere close to being the physical monster that Gronk was .... Mayer is a completely different animal.

BTW, I'd take a healthy Gronk over Kelce any day.

Comment

Working...
                          X