• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    I would probably rather have RT Christian Jones later in the draft if we have to choose between Brock Bowers or RT Fuaga in the 1st!

Christian Jones is a four-year starter with 48 career starts primarily at right tackle, including 13 starts at right in 2023 inside the Longhorns' balanced (52-48 run-pass split), multiple run scheme centered around zone, counter and pin-pull concepts.Jan 23, 2024
    Cool, an entire video of game highlights steam rolling and stone walling Alabama Crimson tide defenders.

You do not need to spend a high first to get your RT ... a few will be available later.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

Ricky Williams, Orlando Pace, ki-Jana Carter, Russel Maryland, Irving Fryer, and more. I can almost guarantee you if MHJ is there at #5 there will be a team that will want to move up to get him and it won't be cheap.
      The question isn't if teams are willing to move up,
      the question is how much are they offering.

All those references are 25 + years old .... at the time, you could keep those guys forever on your team if you desired.
      New era and the pickings will be much, much slimmer if it ain't a QB they want.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

They do want to be a running team but let's be honest there will be times that they will have to pass. After listening to Roman he understands this. The idea of being a "running team" is that Herbert doesn't have to carry this team on his shoulders every game because the run game is non-existent like it has been for the last several years.
        Run the ball better and more effectively, of course. But become a "running team"? Wasting money on Herbert

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Hortiz just extended Foster Sarell, LOL...
          I know. They have 90 bodies needed for camp.
          Hortiz was part of Ravens staff that brought Sarell in as udfa.
          He didn't make their roster......but they Ravens are known for having quality OL. So it's tough competition in Baltimore.
          I guess Joe still likes Sarell, and he was a RFA. It cost him 985k for 1 year tender. So that nothing to LOL at. It a smart roster move considering they have a cap to deal with.

According to you, Pipkins strength is his awful run blocking. LOL.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Bowers seems to be dropping to the mid teens/early 20s in these mock drafts.

Maybe the combine hangover effect.

Drake Maye will not be there at 5 .... no way.

Three stud qbs in this draft and then hopefully somebody reaches for McCarthy (who I like).
            I dont worry about mock drafts, they really mean zero to what will happen. Teams already have their grades on these guys. QBs going early...4 of them anyways.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

I wonder if Bowers ate and drank his way to 243lbs and then didn't do drills. Then is shedding weight and will run his 40 15lbs lighter at 228lbs. Just speculation by me. But when he runs, I want his weight again for pro day. If he can run 4.56 or better at 243lbs, that would be nice to see. And should boost his draft stock.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I know but if you look at the oline play last year Herbert seemed to have very little time in the pocket and seemed to always have to rush his throws! We got to do something to improve or oline!
                A previous video was posted showing how bad the oline schemes were. Too many times we had a blocker standing around doing nothing while an unblocked rusher was coming after Herbert elsewhere. Maybe the centers call was incorrect, maybe the OL coach just couldn’t get his schemes right. I expect it to be fixed this year.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  The interior OL was really impacted by Linsley going to IR.
                  However, Pipkins was still the worst OL on the team.
                  Horrible at run blocking. And avg at pass block with the awful turnstile whiff block snap on late game drive. Swing tackle at best.

Chargers need a Center and Tackle. And versatile OL depth.

Joe Alt is clear upgrade.

​​I think a veteran center would be good use of free agency.
                  And also drafting a center Rd 4-5 if there is a good one still on the board would be really smart.

If Chargers draft 2-3OL and 2-3DL/Edge with half of the draft picks, I would be just fine seeing the invest in the front lines.

Jim Harbaugh knows how to stand up a team to compete. He and Joe knows it all starts with trenchwork.

Roman said can you imagine Herbert with a great run game.

You are not creating a better run game by drafting Nabers or Bowers.

And for those of you who think they have a great HC now, so the players will naturally be better..... That is a giant LOL. Did you not see Andy Reid dump the Cheetah and heavily invest in OL and then win back to back Superbowl. Well why not keep Cheetah and just improve the OL with your great coaching Andy. Why draft Mahomes, why not have you great coaching elevate Alex Smith? Because Andy knows it's a players game. Andy has a history of investing in the trenches on both sides of ball with Eagles and Chiefs. And he has had many deep playoff runs to title game and SBs.

​​#Trenchwork
                  You’re wrong-he was the 2nd best OL on the team. Both OGs were worse, and we of course know about Clapp. Zion has played poorly both of his 2 years, we have actually never seen him play well.

Joe Alt is a clear upgrade, can’t argue that.

Andy hasn’t drafted a lot of OL in Rd1, thats also false. He drafts a lot of IDL early. Lumping the two together to make a case for OT is data torture.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

A previous video was posted showing how bad the oline schemes were. Too many times we had a blocker standing around doing nothing while an unblocked rusher was coming after Herbert elsewhere. Maybe the centers call was incorrect, maybe the OL coach just couldn’t get his schemes right. I expect it to be fixed this year.
                    It's why I think the target Free Agent should be a starting veteran Center. Joe can clear enough space in time to go get one if that is what they decide needs to be done.
                    ​​​​​Then if you draft a OT early to plug in as a starter. 2 moves that support Justin Herbert and the idea Roman stated of imagining him with a run game. And you still have 7 picks to use to find Joe Hortiz BPAs.

​​

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You’re wrong-he was the 2nd best OL on the team. Both OGs were worse, and we of course know about Clapp. Zion has played poorly both of his 2 years, we have actually never seen him play well.

Joe Alt is a clear upgrade, can’t argue that.

Andy hasn’t drafted a lot of OL in Rd1, thats also false. He drafts a lot of IDL early. Lumping the two together to make a case for OT is data torture.
                      I don't count Clapp as he was not the starter, Linsley was, so we all know that was the worst spot. Which is why I think Center should be the free agent target. Of the actual starters the guards were worse at pass blocking than Pipkins. But Pipkins was the worst run blocker. And Harbaugh and Roman want to run the ball. Those young guards were also sophomore in the league, and didn't have Linsley anymore. Pipkins was a 5th year senior. Him having marginal better overall grade doesn't make him the 2nd best OL on team, IMV. For his pay rate and years in league, he was the most underachieving OL on the team and the Worst ROI of all the OL. And of course a terrible run blocker which Roman will not like at all..Neither will Jim or Joe..

Pipkins may not even make the 53 roster. IMV.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I don't count Clapp as he was not the starter, Linsley was, so we all know that was the worst spot. Which is why I think Center should be the free agent target. Of the actual starters the guards were worse at pass blocking than Pipkins. But Pipkins was the worst run blocker. And Harbaugh and Roman want to run the ball. Those young guards were also sophomore in the league, and didn't have Linsley anymore. Pipkins was a 5th year senior. Him having marginal better overall grade doesn't make him the 2nd best OL on team, IMV. For his pay rate and years in league, he was the most underachieving OL on the team and the Worst ROI of all the OL. And of course a terrible run blocker which Roman will not like at all..Neither will Jim or Joe..

Pipkins may not even make the 53 roster. IMV.
                        If he's paid for he will make the roster as back-up even. Sure, an expensive back-up but he will cost us nothing and cutting him would be stupid.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Ricky Williams, Orlando Pace, ki-Jana Carter, Russel Maryland, Irving Fryer, and more. I can almost guarantee you if MHJ is there at #5 there will be a team that will want to move up to get him and it won't be cheap.
                          I didn't say that teams won't move up to grab a non QB. I said they don't give up a kings ransom to do so, unless it's a QB.

Now lets look at the Orlando Pace situation, which lots of draft picks were involved. The Rams traded up from #6 and added
                          #67, #102 and #207. Four picks for Pace. The number #1 who were the Jets that year was worth 3000 points according to the draft value chart.

#67 =1600, + #67 = 235 + # 102 =92 + 207=8,6 Total 1935.6 points. The Jets got fleeced not the other way around. They left over 1000 points
                          on the table.

Anything else?

Comment

Working...
                          X