• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post
    this is off topic, but at least this thread is NCAA related: do you guys think Alabama, Texas or Florida State should be the odd man out?? interesting issue this year.

i think Alabama deserves to be in for beating Georgia, but then again Texas beat Alabama in week 2. Florida State should get in as they are undefeated, but they are not going to hold up well without their QB.

i have always thought a 4 team playoff was good enough, but this year is weird. I would drop Florida state if I am looking for the 4 best teams to complete.
    I understand why Florida St. did not get in. Is it fair? Hard to say. I think they played their hearts out and were undefeated. But I also think the voters are trying to avoid another blowout championship game. Which I don’t think Florida St. could have kept up with the teams that are in. The 4 that got in, are the best teams in the country right now and should be very competitive games.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I understand why Florida St. did not get in. Is it fair? Hard to say. I think they played their hearts out and were undefeated. But I also think the voters are trying to avoid another blowout championship game. Which I don’t think Florida St. could have kept up with the teams that are in. The 4 that got in, are the best teams in the country right now and should be very competitive games.
      i agree with the final decision. i will be rooting for michigan, so harbaugh can it win it all, and then come to the chargers and win it all.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why,Yes....and Harbaugh has a job at Michigan lol.

it's a long shot but they have worked together before. Im just saying that is the only way we likely run the same variance of our defense. So likely we will be running a different scheme.
        Let me be more specific - Fangio has a contract with Miami. He signed a 3 year deal paying $4.5M per year, this is year 1.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

i agree with the final decision. i will be rooting for michigan, so harbaugh can it win it all, and then come to the chargers and win it all.
          I get Bama is better than FSU, but are they better than Ohio St? Beats me …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Let me be more specific - Fangio has a contract with Miami. He signed a 3 year deal paying $4.5M per year, this is year 1.
            I answered. Said it's a long shot because they have worked together before.

But we also have to hire Harbaugh. That in itself is a long shot. I was just giving the only reason imo we would be running the same defense next year when they clean house

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I get Bama is better than FSU, but are they better than Ohio St? Beats me …
              The expanded playoffs might resolve this issue, maybe. lol.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

USC to Holiday Bowl for you local fans.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Doesn’t Fangio have a job in MIA?
                  Assistant head coach is a promotion over defensive coordinator
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    USC to Holiday Bowl for you local fans.
                    Will this be played in Snapdragon stadium now instead of Petco?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

After lengthy delay, it’s settled: No. 15 Louisville, USC will play in Holiday Bowl

(Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press) Holiday Bowl announcement delayed more than an hour while bowls and ACC go round and round on matchups; Florida State snub for CFB playoff creates chaos

BY KIRK KENNEY
                      DEC. 3, 2023 1:42 PM PM

The participating teams for the DirecTV Holiday Bowl often aren’t determined until just hours before the Selection Sunday announcement.

Last year’s announcement was delayed nearly an hour while ACC, bowl directors and television executives dickered — bickered? — over how to distribute the conference’s teams between the Holiday and Gator bowls.

By contrast, the matchup for the 2023 Holiday Bowl came together a week ago, with an expected pairing of Clemson against USC.

Then it wasn’t.

When the CFP selection committee snubbed undefeated Florida State for the four-team playoff on Sunday morning, the dominoes began falling.

The Holiday Bowl planned a live stream a few minutes after noon for the reveal. When the appointed moment arrived, those assembled at a harborside restaurant were told to hold on another 20-30 minute
                      Another hour passed.

At 1:40 p.m., the Holiday Bowl finally revealed the matchup for the 44th annual game: Louisville vs. USC.

The teams took very different roads to the Holiday Bowl, which will be played Dec. 27 at 5 p.m. at Petco Park.

No. 15 Louisville (10-3) is coming off Saturday night’s 16-6 loss to Florida State in the ACC championship game.

The Cardinals earned the berth after a regular season that included double-digit victories for the first time in a decade. Their only setbacks were against Pitt and Kentucky.

It is Louisville’s 12th bowl appearance in 14 years, although it is the Cardinals’ first appearance in the Holiday Bowl.

USC is making its fourth trip to the Holiday. The Trojans played in back-to-back games in 2014-15, beating Nebraska and losing to Wisconsin.

They lost to Iowa in the 2019 game, which was the last event at SDCCU Stadium.

The Trojans have won 11 national titles over the years and had eight Heisman Trophy winners.

One of them, quarterback Caleb Williams, may not play in the game. Williams has not made any decision official, but the general sense is that he won’t risk an injury that could hurt his stock in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Williams told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday that declaring for the draft will be a “gametime decision.”

What that means for his posseason participation remains to be seen as well. USC coach Lincoln Riley would likely go with backup Miller Moss, who is 23-for-32 for 309 yards and one touchdown this season.

“This is a team game,” said Mark Neville, CEO of Sports San Diego, which stages the Holiday Bowl. “It’s not just one person. There’s things that are in our control and things that are not. That is one of the things that is out of our control.

“Whichever team suits up for USC, I’m sure is going to play their hardest, want to beat Louisville and put on a great show for our fans.”

The game matches a Louisville offense averaging 30.9 points a game against a USC defense that has struggled to stop opponents this season.

The Trojans are allowing 34.9 points (tied for 120th in the nation) and 438.8 yards (119th).

Last month, Riley fired defensive coordinator Alex Grinch. This week, Riley hired UCLA defensive coordinator D’Anton Lynn to be the Trojans’ new DC.

Holiday Bowl ticket prices range from $35 to $225.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

1 question- Why is everybody so enamored with Caleb Williams? I just do not see him having the mental fortitude to be an NFL QB.

I would much rather have guys like Michael Penix Jr, Jordan Travis, Jayden Daniels and possibly even Bo Nix. These guys are straight gamers. I like Drake Maye as well.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                          1 question- Why is everybody so enamored with Caleb Williams? I just do not see him having the mental fortitude to be an NFL QB.

I would much rather have guys like Michael Penix Jr, Jordan Travis, Jayden Daniels and possibly even Bo Nix. These guys are straight gamers. I like Drake Maye as well.
                          I'd take Maye i think if I'm picking #1.

He and Williams are the top 2 guys

Maye is a Pocket passer, won't run much at all in the NFL. He is then youngest here at 21. Turns 22 next August. Is a redshirt Sophomore.nso depends on the type of QB teams want. BB won 6 SBs with a pocket passer.

Travis is kinda small. Think he measures 6', 200 lbs. Will be 24 come draft time.
                          Not seeing a top pick there. At least he shouldn't be but it happens.

Penix I like but he is a line drive passer, low arm angle thrower. Will also be 24 come draft time. Wasn't anything special at Indiana for 3 years til he went to WA in 2022. Thinking he will take some time to develope.

Daniels is a good athlete with a lot of potentual. May have the highest ceiling with his run ability. Daniels will turn 23 on the 18th this month.

NIx, dude has vastly improved as I remember him from Auburn. Very good QB this year after flashing well last season. Seems he has been in college forever. Will also be 24 come draft time.

But Caleb i like as well. His head may be his biggest concern if it's true and said he wants part ownership and has only a handful of teams he wants to play for. I dont like that attitude in a player.
                          I can't imagine someone saying that but if he did....red flags.
                          ​​​​​Caleb turned 22 last month.

Quinn Ewers the Texas QB hasn't declared but he can. Will be 21 come draft time.
                          Michigan QB McCarthey hasn't declared either. Also will be 21 by draft time.
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-03-2023, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X