• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    I say this every year but here I go again - fix the trenches, win games.

Did the FA Center we added fix that position?

What are we going to do about our Guards?

Everyone and his uncle want a RT but I think Herbert was harassed more by a porous middle of the OL.

I think we're thin as a blade of grass at receivers. If we go into this season with just the WR's/TE's we have now, just one tweaked or calf will leave us with little hope. I wonder if Gus is a pass catcher?
    Trader Joe Cool Hortiz has a plan.
    No need to worry about the depth chart. Especially WR/TE
    Also team is going run downhill which I think helps the IOL play better. The RT was the worst run blocker of the whole OL. Jim and Joe want to run the ball. So...I still think RT is the position that needs the upgrade the most on the offense to play their style of football. Below is what he said recently about WRs.

"It is a position we need to add pieces to. We have free agency still. There’s players out there in free agency that we like. There’s also a really strong draft of wide receivers, and there’s going to be players that come available after the draft, whether they’re still out there in free agency or they get released.” “…Because with all the wideouts in the draft this year, there’s going to be other teams that draft wideouts, and they’re going to end up releasing good wideouts. … Good wide receivers are going to become available, whether it’s through cuts, cap casualties or trades.” -J.Hortiz
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Harbaugh/Roman are going to build the offense around Justin Herbert, their best offensive asset, one of the best in the league at the most important position in football. They will build a solid run game around Herbert to make it easier for Herbert to succeed. It will be the best run game Herbert has had to work with in his career. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a run-dominant offense. Herbert is not Colin Kaepernick, nor is he Lamar Jackson - both of these QBs were/are more dangerous with their ability to run than as passers. Herbert is an elite passer, and that is what will power their offense. Crucial to empowering the offense is building a run game that defenses have to respect.
      As long as Herbert has a high completion rate we should be just fine, in fact if our D becomes top 5 in the league we should be pretty much unbeatable!

Comment

• Eurobolt
        *** Jim Harbaugh ***
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

As long as Herbert has a high completion rate we should be just fine, in fact if our D becomes top 5 in the league we should be pretty much unbeatable!
        I think plenty of ppl thought so when we signed Staley...

Offence is very important but not praying to our QB every week to win games would be refreshing.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

And rest assured I am studying early, midrounder, and late prospects at various position groups, including "...real run stuffing DTs who also push the pocket " AND one of your penetrating 3Techs.

It is quite a shopping list.
          With a maxed out credit card to work with.

SMH.

Overly simplistic on fixing the D.
          Not simplistic enough in evolving the offense.

You're not Harbaugh.
          We will instill his plan not yours.
          Last edited by wu-dai clan; 03-30-2024, 11:07 AM. Reason: Basic grammar error oh brother
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I say this every year but here I go again - fix the trenches, win games.

Did the FA Center we added fix that position?

What are we going to do about our Guards?

Everyone and his uncle want a RT but I think Herbert was harassed more by a porous middle of the OL.

I think we're thin as a blade of grass at receivers. If we go into this season with just the WR's/TE's we have now, just one tweaked or calf will leave us with little hope. I wonder if Gus is a pass catcher?
            Draft a good Center-Guard, and play them at Guard as a rookie.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              So strange to me how many thoughts Ravens GM EDC is willing to share on audio to the public
              I figure his 31 other competitors can scrap off an advantage from simply listening.

Is this the actual Eric DeCosta talking...? Or a guy speaking as if he were Eric DeCosta (knowing his tendencies)...?
              In the end, I don't think it matters. Eric's competitors already know his tendencies. He's not saying anything we don't already know about him. He's going to start with OL, interior defensive line, LB's, and secondary. Exactly the way we should be thinking... start with Roman and Minter when predicting draft strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMNo-yHZHwU (Roman)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-gnKRvBlE (Minter)

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                Fenders? Head gaskets? you don’t need a WR to run 40 yards for a pass at the end of the game. Why worry if you have enough gas to get to Barstow if you’re only going to Encinitas? (Redlands for those that live in LA )

Most of the end-of-game successful blitzes against LAC last year were between the OGs. I even read one post a couple weeks ago here trying to say it was Trey’s fault that the OGs and OC got blown up inside every game lol.

I expect they draft a RT, I’m not convinced it will be their first pick though. It could be. I still don’t know why nobody is worried about the worse play by BOTH OGs (and OC) still … its almost April, I expected the groupthink blob to slowly roll around to the true facts of the 2023 OL
                IIRC, most of those blitzes were successful up the middle because the Chargers were playing catchup running hurry up offense. I remember those guys being gassed. Also IIRC, I think it was Palmer who was dying on one series because he ran like 4 or 5 go routes while they were running a hurry up offense. I remember screaming at the tv for them to call a TO. You could see he was smoked when trying to get back to the LOS.

I think having a more balanced running game is going to alleviate a lot of their oline issues.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Draft a good Center-Guard, and play them at Guard as a rookie.
                  Graham Barton at #37 could work. Looks like a ChargeRaven player to me. Physical smart versatile OL prospect.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    Fenders? Head gaskets? you don’t need a WR to run 40 yards for a pass at the end of the game. Why worry if you have enough gas to get to Barstow if you’re only going to Encinitas? (Redlands for those that live in LA )

Most of the end-of-game successful blitzes against LAC last year were between the OGs. I even read one post a couple weeks ago here trying to say it was Trey’s fault that the OGs and OC got blown up inside every game lol.

I expect they draft a RT, I’m not convinced it will be their first pick though. It could be I still don’t know why nobody is worried about the worse play by BOTH OGs (and OC) still … its almost April, I expected the groupthink blob to slowly roll around to the true facts of the 2023 OL
                    Hortiz and Harbaugh noticed C and signed a vet. Zion and Salyer were better than average players until Moore became OC and Linsley went out.
                    Change of Position? Play calls? Game plan? Training? LOL (lack of linsley)? We know they WERE decent 2022 OL who looked like crap in '23..
                    Harbaugh and his staff will have a "hands on" interaction with his Chargers roster at voluntary OTAs starting Apr 2.
                    I'd be extremely shocked if they can't do a better job with current OL than the '23 regime. But maybe they don't want to. Up to them to decide.
                    I expect both WR and OL in the draft. Who and when remains to be seen,
                    Harbaugh wants a team "Vince LombardI would be proud of". Bart Starr wasn't MVP for handing off.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Graham Barton at #37 could work. Looks like a ChargeRaven player to me. Physical smart versatile OL prospect.
                      One of the reasons I like Hunter Nourzad is his flexibility to play center, guard, or tackle. I think they could get him later in the draft but seems like his stock is rising so who knows.
                      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                      3a- #66 Puni OT
                      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                      4a- #105 Rice WR
                      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                      5- #140 Green CB
                      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Keep seeing Barton in the first...
                        someone unexoecunexpected will drop to 37
                        that 2nd round pick is going to be gold, just hoping it matches up with PON too.
                        guys I can see "dropping" to 37
                        Mims
                        Chop
                        JPJ (medical issue rumor)
                        Guyton
                        Latu
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

He would be my choice if available.

Comment

Working...
                          X