Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Trader Joe Cool Hortiz has a plan.
    No need to worry about the depth chart. Especially WR/TE
    Also team is going run downhill which I think helps the IOL play better. The RT was the worst run blocker of the whole OL. Jim and Joe want to run the ball. So...I still think RT is the position that needs the upgrade the most on the offense to play their style of football. Below is what he said recently about WRs.

"It is a position we need to add pieces to. We have free agency still. There’s players out there in free agency that we like. There’s also a really strong draft of wide receivers, and there’s going to be players that come available after the draft, whether they’re still out there in free agency or they get released.” “…Because with all the wideouts in the draft this year, there’s going to be other teams that draft wideouts, and they’re going to end up releasing good wideouts. … Good wide receivers are going to become available, whether it’s through cuts, cap casualties or trades.” -J.Hortiz
    I'm glad to see someone is paying attention to GM and coach interviews.
    I'm glad to see someone understands the offensive scheme changes.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Keep seeing Barton in the first...
      someone unexoecunexpected will drop to 37
      that 2nd round pick is going to be gold, just hoping it matches up with PON too.
      guys I can see "dropping" to 37
      Mims
      Chop
      JPJ (medical issue rumor)
      Guyton
      Latu
      No LB's, DT's, or CB's on your list...?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Also team is going run downhill which I think helps the IOL play better. The RT was the worst run blocker of the whole OL. Jim and Joe want to run the ball. So...I still think RT is the position that needs the upgrade the most on the offense to play their style of football. Below is what he said recently about WRs.

"It is a position we need to add pieces to. We have free agency still. There’s players out there in free agency that we like. There’s also a really strong draft of wide receivers, and there’s going to be players that come available after the draft, whether they’re still out there in free agency or they get released.” “…Because with all the wideouts in the draft this year, there’s going to be other teams that draft wideouts, and they’re going to end up releasing good wideouts. … Good wide receivers are going to become available, whether it’s through cuts, cap casualties or trades.” -J.Hortiz
        Their depth will be starting and they have no depth beyond that.

Alfred E. Neuman - What, Me Worry? | Facebook

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No LB's, DT's, or CB's on your list...?
          Not a thorough list but of the significant "drops" of guys I regularly see mocked in first round.
          expect 2 DTs in round 1, 1 LB and several CBs all in round one or just missing us ahead of 37.
          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

As long as Herbert has a high completion rate we should be just fine, in fact if our D becomes top 5 in the league we should be pretty much unbeatable!
            Top 3 scoring O, top 15 D is a playoff team. Top 5 O, top 5 D, top 5 STs, we're a SB contender.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

IIRC, most of those blitzes were successful up the middle because the Chargers were playing catchup running hurry up offense. I remember those guys being gassed. Also IIRC, I think it was Palmer who was dying on one series because he ran like 4 or 5 go routes while they were running a hurry up offense. I remember screaming at the tv for them to call a TO. You could see he was smoked when trying to get back to the LOS.

I think having a more balanced running game is going to alleviate a lot of their oline issues.
              100%! The protections that Moore created were non-existent. The routes they were running had no consideration for the inside blitz. Throw the ball to the space the blitz came from is Football 101. The gameplan/coaching was a huge failure... can't blame the players there.

If the team hates being in those positions (down late with a minute to travel 80 yards)... then avoid those conditions. Play like your defense isn't a wet paper bag. Run the ball better... and control when the other team gets the ball at the end of games.

These are all things the other teams did to us near the end of games. Flip the script. It's what the new coaching regime was brought here to do. Now get them their players.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

And I'm sure Hortiz wants everyone to know what his plans are. LOL. He's not lying. He's talking in general.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I say this every year but here I go again - fix the trenches, win games.

Did the FA Center we added fix that position?

What are we going to do about our Guards?

Everyone and his uncle want a RT but I think Herbert was harassed more by a porous middle of the OL.

I think we're thin as a blade of grass at receivers. If we go into this season with just the WR's/TE's we have now, just one tweaked or calf will leave us with little hope. I wonder if Gus is a pass catcher?
                  It's a lock that we will add WR. I'd take Nabers at #5 but Hortiz may seelater as OK. Early and mid-late, probably

C Zak Frazier in 4th if they don't believe in McFadden.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not my hang-up... talk to sj about it. He's planning for the last 2 minutes of the Chiefs game... I'm trying to build a team that plays every team... every minute... every game.

I will never understand the argument.... "Don't fix your RT problem... because we have other problems". You have to start somewhere, brother. The 1st round sounds like the start. I'm simply looking at prospects that make the whole team better... piece by piece.

If I can trade back a few spots... and pick up an extra 1st round player...? Well, that's a no-brainer for me. And everything I've read about Joe Hortiz suggests it's a no-brainer for him, too. So instead of obsessing over 40-yard runs and vertical leaps... or "generational" labels... let's talk about scheme fits or coach's philosophies.

The trade-back scenario nets us an extra pick (at least) @#23. Just think of the possibilities @#23. Some people will categorize them as "bags of Doritos"... they are not. They are starting LB's, CB's, OG/OC's... use your imagination. All of the positions you aptly criticize will be there.

So, I start most draft conversations @#11... free of generational blah, blah, blah. I like RT Taliese Fuaga the most. He fits the coach's philosophy too. "Run the ball... protect the QB". My 2nd favorite prospect should please the masses... Brock Bowers. The physical traits are there. The need is there. Do I think he gets used in the Roman system the way he got used @Georgia...? No. Do I think that Roman/Herbie/Bowers translates to Reid/MaHommes/Kelce...? No. But I understand the talent. I understand how he fits the offensive scheme.

But understand... the #11 pick is only 1/9 of the draft. There is so much more! I'm excited to death about possibly getting 6 picks in the first 4 rounds. Have you taken a look at #1-110...? Seriously looked...? We haven't even talked about defense... BORING!!!! Eventually I'll find someone who gets as excited about late-1st round LB's, 2nd-round DT's, and 3rd-round CB's.... but for right now we're still stuck on how to beat the Chiefs with under 2 minutes left, and down by 4 points...
                    Cool. I agree you have to start somewhere. I look at the 2023 OL and I see 3 positions that played worse than Pipkins last year. If the theory is that the 2023 coaching and scheming and calling sucked, ok, let’s think about that. I look at 2022 Pipkins and he played well. If we want to seriously upgrade the rush game, that comes from OGs and OC. Do our current guys have it? They didn’t last year but I think bad coaching and prepping infected the entire OL - even Slater. I just don’t know.

I think a very good RT can be later Rd1 and thru the second round. It is not a #5 pick priority for me. I’ve come around to the trade back preference too. If they trade down and take Fuaga, thats ok with me. If Bowers was there, I’d take Bowers and get the RT at 23. OGs and OCs can be found later, depending on JH2 analyses of need.

I think our bigger problem is DT, I’ve posted it enough. 2 great edge rushers and no pressure up the middle sucks for them. 2 great edge rushers PLUS pressure up the middle lets them eat til they are full.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

We've hashed out this draft ad nauseum. I'm a bit weary of it. At this point I'm just looking forward to what Harbaugh/Hortiz do and trusting their plan. But it seems there are three basic scenarios. I'm curious what the majority opinion here on the board is at this point. Myself, I think they will stay put at #5 and draft either Nabers or Harrison Jr. What do you think?

1. Draft Nabers or Harrison at #5.

2. Draft a non WR at #5.

3. Trade down for more picks.

Comment

• Javia
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        We've hashed out this draft ad nauseum. I'm a bit weary of it. At this point I'm just looking forward to what Harbaugh/Hortiz do and trusting their plan. But it seems there are three basic scenarios. I'm curious what the majority opinion here on the board is at this point. Myself, I think they will stay put at #5 and draft either Nabers or Harrison Jr. What do you think?

2. Draft a non WR at #5.

I don't doubt for a second that Harbaugh will trade down for more picks if he gets an offer. He seems like a more solid players, less stars kind of a coach. If he can get 2 lower 1st round picks for his #5 pick, he will do it. The question is: what happens if Minnesota trades with another team? If Harbaugh doesn't get any good offers for the #5 pick, I expect him to take a WR. NOT because he wants to, but because his hand is forced.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

2. Draft a non WR at #5.

(1) If they stay at #5, it's a wideout.

(2) They won't draft any other position at #5

(3) Yes, I expect the Chargers will be involved in a trade down from #5. No certainties, though, because a suitable offer has to materialize.

Comment

Working...
                          X