Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Good grief!
    Apparently we should only pass
    when trying to hold a lead
    and chew up the clock
    at the end of games.

Three straight incompletions.
    Minimal time expired.
    They don't even have to use up their timeouts.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Chiefs did not have great WRs last year. TBD what they draft in 2024 if that might change.
      They have enough weapons to get a lead in 4th quarter with a defense that gets after your QB. Their defense was key.

In regular season the ideal stats offensively against them is to get 200 passing and 100 rushing yards. Their defense only gives up 176 passing and 113 rushing yards or 17 points. Teams that beat KC in regular season scored 20-21 points on them. In the playoffs they unleashed their offense to where you needed to score 27+ to beat them.

2024 may see their offense to average more points per game in regular season.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Harbaugh/Roman are going to build the offense around Justin Herbert, their best offensive asset, one of the best in the league at the most important position in football. They will build a solid run game around Herbert to make it easier for Herbert to succeed. It will be the best run game Herbert has had to work with in his career. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a run-dominant offense. Herbert is not Colin Kaepernick, nor is he Lamar Jackson - both of these QBs were/are more dangerous with their ability to run than as passers. Herbert is an elite passer, and that is what will power their offense. Crucial to empowering the offense is building a run game that defenses have to respect.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Fenders? Head gaskets? you don’t need a WR to run 40 yards for a pass at the end of the game. Why worry if you have enough gas to get to Barstow if you’re only going to Encinitas? (Redlands for those that live in LA )

Most of the end-of-game successful blitzes against LAC last year were between the OGs. I even read one post a couple weeks ago here trying to say it was Trey’s fault that the OGs and OC got blown up inside every game lol.

I expect they draft a RT, I’m not convinced it will be their first pick though. It could be. I still don’t know why nobody is worried about the worse play by BOTH OGs (and OC) still … its almost April, I expected the groupthink blob to slowly roll around to the true facts of the 2023 OL
          Not my hang-up... talk to sj about it. He's planning for the last 2 minutes of the Chiefs game... I'm trying to build a team that plays every team... every minute... every game.

I will never understand the argument.... "Don't fix your RT problem... because we have other problems". You have to start somewhere, brother. The 1st round sounds like the start. I'm simply looking at prospects that make the whole team better... piece by piece.

If I can trade back a few spots... and pick up an extra 1st round player...? Well, that's a no-brainer for me. And everything I've read about Joe Hortiz suggests it's a no-brainer for him, too. So instead of obsessing over 40-yard runs and vertical leaps... or "generational" labels... let's talk about scheme fits or coach's philosophies.

The trade-back scenario nets us an extra pick (at least) @#23. Just think of the possibilities @#23. Some people will categorize them as "bags of Doritos"... they are not. They are starting LB's, CB's, OG/OC's... use your imagination. All of the positions you aptly criticize will be there.

So, I start most draft conversations @#11... free of generational blah, blah, blah. I like RT Taliese Fuaga the most. He fits the coach's philosophy too. "Run the ball... protect the QB". My 2nd favorite prospect should please the masses... Brock Bowers. The physical traits are there. The need is there. Do I think he gets used in the Roman system the way he got used @Georgia...? No. Do I think that Roman/Herbie/Bowers translates to Reid/MaHommes/Kelce...? No. But I understand the talent. I understand how he fits the offensive scheme.

But understand... the #11 pick is only 1/9 of the draft. There is so much more! I'm excited to death about possibly getting 6 picks in the first 4 rounds. Have you taken a look at #1-110...? Seriously looked...? We haven't even talked about defense... BORING!!!! Eventually I'll find someone who gets as excited about late-1st round LB's, 2nd-round DT's, and 3rd-round CB's.... but for right now we're still stuck on how to beat the Chiefs with under 2 minutes left, and down by 4 points...

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Oh I think we’re all excited about this draft, all of it. This board is nothing if not rabbit holes lol.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

I say this every year but here I go again - fix the trenches, win games.

Did the FA Center we added fix that position?

What are we going to do about our Guards?

Everyone and his uncle want a RT but I think Herbert was harassed more by a porous middle of the OL.

I think we're thin as a blade of grass at receivers. If we go into this season with just the WR's/TE's we have now, just one tweaked or calf will leave us with little hope. I wonder if Gus is a pass catcher?
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

GUS AT THE X!!! GENIUS!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Apparently we should only pass
                  when trying to hold a lead
                  and chew up the clock
                  at the end of games.

Three straight incompletions.
                  Minimal time expired.
                  They don't even have to use up their timeouts.

Sure we can run the ball in crunch time: Bozeman, Salyer and Pip have the potential to be sledge hammers, ripping huge holes in defensive fronts.
                  And then there will be the day 3 guy who will be pushing for playing time.

That point of view is as chimeric as depending on two receivers, Butterfingers and a gadget player, & a 4rth round gem to stress defenses with deep routes.

The difference is that no one is peddling the former bit of nonsense.
                  If some one has a preference, don't buttress it with fairy tales and hope against hope scenarios.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Pretty much what you said. I think DT stunts and LB blitzes up the middle... the way Minter did it @Michigan.
                    Give Patty as little time as possible to process (DT's and LB's up the middle) and contain with EDGE's (Mack/Bosa).
                    Oh... and somebody guard Kelce for once (Derwin). When MaHommes turns the ball over (Broncos and Raiders) the Chiefs are beatable.

Have the ball last... a nice 6 minute drive. Kneel @the 5-yard line as the clock turns 0:00.
                    ^ This...and here's another thought...since Mahomes will have so little time, we can even bring up one of those two FS's in Minter's D who can help double cover Kelce in certain situations, ESPECIALLY DURING CRUNCH TIME...Derwin (or someone) mans up on Kelce underneath and a FS helps out on top...I'd like to see how Kelce reacts to being consistently sandwiched in coverage...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

How about we do both?

1. Fix the O line, get a solid ground game going, run to set up the pass, eat up the clock, score as much as we can, and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible.

2. Draft a real run-stuffing DT who also pushes the pocket to disrupt Mahomes. Coach up our Edges and OLB to set the edge and don't let Mahomes gash us around the end. Appoint a spy or two (could rotate to disguise) to keep a close eye on Mahomes in the flats while also defending dump-offs. Put a solid press defender on Kelce. Draft at least one solid press corner and either sign or draft another to prevent getting burned with long bombs. Blitz Mahomes from blind side and occasionally up the middle for further disruption. Be unpredictable. I never said we can totally shut down Mahomes, but I do think we can force a few turnovers and disrupt Mahomes enough to LIMIT the damage.

So, I think we need a two-pronged approach here. To say that the ONLY way to beat Mahomes is through TOP is what in logic is known as a "false dichotamy." It is a dichotomy, but there is nothing false about it. You have your theory. (Telesco signed Christian Wilkins to try and beat the Chiefs.) Then there is the practice, that the Chiefs have a proven, daunting track record. Theory vs practice. That is dichotomy in reality by definition. I totally agree with you on point #1. But I say, let's do all we can do on D to ALSO limit the Mahomes damage. NEVER GIVE UP!

Question: What do you think we should do on defense?
                      You are babbling like a clickbaiter again.
                      Popular style amongst ballwatching posters.
                      Insulting to someone who knows ball.

You know damn good and well
                      we cannot do both
                      with available resources.

"...What position group depends on no other position group to be good but every other position group depends on them to be good--what position group is that ?? Offensive line."
                      Jim Harbaugh

Now why would he say something like that ?
                      Liar's month ? No.
                      It's a statement of long standing football fact.
                      And a description of his philosophy, of roster build--initial phase.
                      Do not conflate prioritizing OL with not having a potent overall offense.

Of course I have already contemplated all of this, in putting together a draft plan.
                      "All over the map" fixes nothing.
                      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 03-30-2024, 09:06 AM.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        I say this every year but here I go again - fix the trenches, win games.

Did the FA Center we added fix that position?

What are we going to do about our Guards?

Everyone and his uncle want a RT but I think Herbert was harassed more by a porous middle of the OL.

I think we're thin as a blade of grass at receivers. If we go into this season with just the WR's/TE's we have now, just one tweaked or calf will leave us with little hope. I wonder if Gus is a pass catcher?
                        We keep on avoiding this point.

Chances are not bad that even if we draft Fuaga, he'll play RG this season and Pip will still be the sore thumb at RT.
                        That would be very funny.

I would want someone with experience there, instead of throwing in another rookie who has never played the position.
                        KC won the Super Bowl 2 years ago with a vet scrub at RT, and last year with a vet scrub at LG.

You can do that when your coaching staff is very good: something to which we are unaccustomed.

There will be a 4rth round interior Olineman available out there, with 3 - 4 years of experience, that the coaching staff is well positioned to identify.
                        Maybe a post draft vet.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Fenders? Head gaskets? you don’t need a WR to run 40 yards for a pass at the end of the game. Why worry if you have enough gas to get to Barstow if you’re only going to Encinitas? (Redlands for those that live in LA )

Most of the end-of-game successful blitzes against LAC last year were between the OGs. I even read one post a couple weeks ago here trying to say it was Trey’s fault that the OGs and OC got blown up inside every game lol.

I expect they draft a RT, I’m not convinced it will be their first pick though. It could be. I still don’t know why nobody is worried about the worse play by BOTH OGs (and OC) still … its almost April, I expected the groupthink blob to slowly roll around to the true facts of the 2023 OL
                          Imagine if we do the deal with the Vikes and Cooper Beebe is there at #23...there's your elite pass pro AND run-blocking OG...a REAL OG, by the way, not another conversion project that may or may not work...

Comment

Working...
                          X