• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Can’t they do that with Pip or Salyer, use that pick more wisely?
    I would trust Will Dissly against Madd Maxx (most of the time). I would not trust Plumpkins or Salyer to do the things that Alt or Fuaga could do in the run game @the second level, though. That would be un-wise.

It's all about scheme and OL hitting their landmarks in the run game.
    Could you use Dissly to help Pip pass block or run block...? Yes.
    But the better question is... how could you use Dissly if he didn't have to help out the RT every play...?
    It would be wiser to use Dissly against a LB or safety in the run game.
    It would be wiser to use Dissly against a blitzing LB or safety in the passing game.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Whoa. Thats a rather rash hyperbolic condemnation.
      So is "Nabers is the best WR I've ever scouted"... It's OK to lie during Liar's Month. It's kind of expected.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If Hortiz actually picks Nabers @#5... he is blatantly lying about wanting to run the ball and protecting the QB... he would be blatantly ignoring all the tape he has on Plumpkins.
        So, back to the conundrum of "When better talent falls into your lap, do you take it? Or do you take lesser talent at a position of greater need?"

It's not as though #5 overall is the only spot from which it's possible for Hortiz to get O-line (or D-line!) help. So if he believes that any of those top receivers is a generational talent, I expect that receiver to be the pick. Because there isn't an O-lineman in the draft who's a generational talent. Same with D-linemen.

Most evaluators have Bowers rated below MHJ - Nabers - Odunze, so I don't believe Bowers becomes a Charger unless there's a trade down from #5. Because at #5? BPA will be receiver.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Ahhh, the ultimate liars month con: tell the truth. GENIUS!
          Yep...the good old double reverse...

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Let's talk about #23 everybody.

I got Kool-Aid McKinstry or Edgerrin Cooper. Who you got?

Kristian Fulton is nice competition for Ja'Sir and/or Leonard. But the 30th pass defense could still use a CB that could press cover when needed. Turns out Kool-Aid wasn't slow... even with a fracture on his pinky toe. He is the best man-cover that has inexplicably found ill-favor amongst sports writers. Let's see if the actual GM's are as hesitant.

Minter loves to send his LB's after the QB. Patty MaHommes hates getting hit... and can turn the ball over when it happens (see Raiders and Broncos games v the Chiefs). Edgerrin Cooper plays everywhere, too. With Henly and Cooper lining up all over... and Derwin sneaking up... there will be a lot less time for Patty and Travis to implement playground run arounds. It's Patty Pinata Time... and Nutty LOVES the #23 spot!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

If Hortiz actually picks Nabers @#5... he is blatantly lying about wanting to run the ball and protecting the QB... he would be blatantly ignoring all the tape he has on Plumpkins.
              Actually, we can still run the rock and protect the QB...AND nab Nabers...it's just that we'll have to get a decent run-blocking RT and RG later on...or sign one or both in FA...yep, THAT'S where we can get our FA RT...

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

I would trust Will Dissly against Madd Maxx (most of the time). I would not trust Plumpkins or Salyer to do the things that Alt or Fuaga could do in the run game @the second level, though. That would be un-wise.

But the better question is... how could you use Dissly if he didn't have to help out the RT every play...?
                It would be wiser to use Dissly against a blitzing LB or safety in the passing game.
                While I agree with you that there can be an upgrade over Pip. I just don’t see them doing that this year. There have been glimpses of Pip being good enough and that was with below average Oline coaching. I do think Pip will have a bounce back year under this regime and coaching staff.

My prediction is because Hortiz loves picks. They are going to coach up Pip this year and make him a quality RT. They will then turn around and trade him next offseason for an extra pick and draft his replacement next year if they don’t draft a RT this year at some point. They could take RT Roger Rosengarten and develop him this year to take over next year.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

This is the most ridiculous of ultimatums .... almost of temper tantrum proportions if Horvitz doesn't see things my way.

And he just might not see things exactly like you.

Fortunately, the fire Horvitz thread is already up and running.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Hmmm, I asked cuz wu seems to be saying Alt would require the same help in pass pro. Agree Alt is better than Pip, sure, but who wouldn’t be? Sincere question as later pick OL guys get similar concerns, so where’s the top shelf OL upgrade with the 5 pick? IMHO, not there this draft as the big concern is pass pro the final two minutes when edge guys have their ears pinned back and we have four WRs lined up. May not be a solution to that, so be it. Then if we want to upgrade the rush attack, Is Alt the only upgrade this draft? Just trying to maximize that 5 pick..

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Actually, we can still run the rock and protect the QB...AND nab Nabers...it's just that we'll have to get a decent run-blocking RT and RG later on...or sign one or both in FA...yep, THAT'S where we can get our FA RT...
                      Without a trade-back, I don't see a RT @#37 as a sure thing in the draft. You're gambling that Morgan or Suamataia will be there @#37. FA RT are free agents for a reason. None of them can dominate in the run game like Fuaga.

Fuaga + #23 pick can not be matched by [insert favorite prospect here]. The #23 pick will not be a ham sandwich or bag of Doritos. It will be full-blown meat-and-potatoes. Something for Minter to sink his teeth into... not mere table scraps.

Get your later round WR or TE. Get your WR and TE in FA.
                      Value @WR in the 4th round is worth researching. That's why we're visiting those guys this year. Early 4th round this year is WR heaven.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

BTW, when did Pip suddenly become a bad run blocker?

That was his strength a few years ago, and I remember going through a few games watching him ball out in run blocking,
                        wondering why Staley preferred twinkle toes starting over him in that last Raiders game debacle.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Let's talk about #23 everybody.

I got Kool-Aid McKinstry or Edgerrin Cooper. Who you got?

Kristian Fulton is nice competition for Ja'Sir and/or Leonard. But the 30th pass defense could still use a CB that could press cover when needed. Turns out Kool-Aid wasn't slow... even with a fracture on his pinky toe. He is the best man-cover that has inexplicably found ill-favor amongst sports writers. Let's see if the actual GM's are as hesitant.

Minter loves to send his LB's after the QB. Patty MaHommes hates getting hit... and can turn the ball over when it happens (see Raiders and Broncos games v the Chiefs). Edgerrin Cooper plays everywhere, too. With Henly and Cooper lining up all over... and Derwin sneaking up... there will be a lot less time for Patty and Travis to implement playground run arounds. It's Patty Pinata Time... and Nutty LOVES the #23 spot!
                          WR Thomas JR would be in my cluster at that point as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X