• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

does he fit a Roman/Harbaugh scheme.... ??
    Somewhat. Fautanu and Haynes are sound, well rounded prospects. Plentt of power and nastiness from Troy. Technique from Christian.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Chris Simms does a WR rank on YouTube and thinks Nabors is better than MHJ. More explosive and just better at everything.

His second pick is Brian Thomas Jr.

MHJ has just been more hyped by the media according to Simms and he has him ranked 3rd.

Watch the video and his explanations. They are in depth.
      I'm not surprised he would say that. Nabors is freakish athletically. He forced like 30 missed tackles on the season and MHJ like 5. Nabors is a swiss army knife plays inside and out and is the closest thing to Tyreek Hill after the catch I've seen. He just doesn't have the fine tuning in his outside releases & routes like MHJ but that's largely a coaching thing nobody from LSU ever does. I'd be surprised if most teams don't have Nabors rated higher. He fits more of the small ball short game most teams play nowadays - get him the ball on a screen or an endaround and he's a threat to go 80 yards every time. Throw him the ball over the middle and he's gonna make 5 people miss and get a first down. MHJ is really good but it's easier to take a guy like that away with safety help.

Along those same lines Bowers can sorta be looked at the same way as Nabors. He's just as much of a freak with the things he can do with the ball at different areas of the field and after the catch.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

This just in off the High Speed Sports Wire! My sources are denying reports that Chris Simms is an imbecile, but confirming that Simms is, in fact, an idiot! La Mesa! Eyyyyyyyye wanna hear from EWE!
        In other news, in a recent study, Dr. Maka Dup has found that 6-3, 210 pounds is profoundly smaller that 6-0, 200 pounds... and that 22 mph on the radar gun will not even get you a speeding ticket in most residential neighborhoods, and therefore, deemed relatively slow. Santee! Put down your potato guns! React!

This is just off the wire! Brian Thomas has just rented out his condo in North Pacific Beach and bought himself a place high atop Mount Soledad... looking down upon the Harrison Jr. estate. La Jolla... grab your pitchforks!
        Last edited by Boltnut; 03-24-2024, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Jeremiah got our pick wrong last year lol. I use him just as a guide and even he is way off. He had Levis going #4 and he went round 2. Tyree at #8 and he looks right now like he has a ways to go to not be a bust. Awsome pick by the Raiders. Nolan Smith continues to be hurt, he had him @ 10.
          I like Jeremiah but .....lets just say im glad he isnt projecting Bowers to us

Ill maintain that whoever we get will be a good player whether it is a OT, WR or TE....but im sticking that we will pick Bowers. Both he and a OT makes sense the most with what we are doing but after Bowers...TE group not great. Hurst on a one year deal while Dissly got 2.

Gonna keep saying that till the draft.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

An important thing to keep in mind is positional value. The top WRs are getting $30 million a year and it will only go up moving forward. Meanwhile no TE is over $20 million. With the slotting for the #5 pick, Bowers would immediately be a top 10 most expensive TE in the league (I think that's the stat I heard). I'd love Bowers as a Charger, just not at 5. Get him at 11 plus other picks and now we're talking.

I love MHJ and Nabers. Different players. The fact is we don't have a legit X type receiver who can line up outside like MHJ can. That said, Nabers is also special. I doubt we have another shot at grabbing a legit #1 stud WR like either of these guys for a long time.

I also don't think that QJ has shown anything to make us believe he has X type receiver skills. His releases are terrible as are his routes and so many other things. I disliked the pick at the time and I hate it way more after having seen him play for a season.

I know there's a lot of talk about wanting to establish the run, but having a legit #1 WR like MHJ or Nabers will force teams to always respect the pass. What would be ideal is pounding six and seven man boxes and knowing that as soon as teams start going to 8 man boxes that we've got a stud at WR who will punish single coverage.

From everything I've read, Nabers and MHJ would probably be WR 1 in every draft going back in to 2016 except for 2021 and Chase.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
              An important thing to keep in mind is positional value. The top WRs are getting $30 million a year and it will only go up moving forward. Meanwhile no TE is over $20 million. With the slotting for the #5 pick, Bowers would immediately be a top 10 most expensive TE in the league (I think that's the stat I heard). I'd love Bowers as a Charger, just not at 5. Get him at 11 plus other picks and now we're talking.

I love MHJ and Nabers. Different players. The fact is we don't have a legit X type receiver who can line up outside like MHJ can. That said, Nabers is also special. I doubt we have another shot at grabbing a legit #1 stud WR like either of these guys for a long time.

I also don't think that QJ has shown anything to make us believe he has X type receiver skills. His releases are terrible as are his routes and so many other things. I disliked the pick at the time and I hate it way more after having seen him play for a season.

I know there's a lot of talk about wanting to establish the run, but having a legit #1 WR like MHJ or Nabers will force teams to always respect the pass. What would be ideal is pounding six and seven man boxes and knowing that as soon as teams start going to 8 man boxes that we've got a stud at WR who will punish single coverage.

From everything I've read, Nabers and MHJ would probably be WR 1 in every draft going back in to 2016 except for 2021 and Chase.
              Sold...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

There will be as many as five very good players available at pick 5. I think the only way we can miss on getting a great player is to trade away the pick. I'm still of the opinion that Bowers is the guy I'd like them to get. He's a good receiver and a good blocker.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  There will be as many as five very good players available at pick 5. I think the only way we can miss on getting a great player is to trade away the pick. I'm still of the opinion that Bowers is the guy I'd like them to get. He's a good receiver and a good blocker.
                  He's actually not. That's something even he has admitted he needs to improve.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    This is what seems lost on some here. How is Bowers *not* going to be a weapon, albeit in a different form than MHJ, Odunze, or Nabors? Those anti-Bowers-at-number-5 are so keen on one of the WRs with the very same pick. Can any of them block like Bowers can? Are they as good after the catch as Bowers is purported to be? Would they be as good a fit in what JH & Company are trying to build here? Why is Bowers NOT considered a weapon of equal value to the three WRs that a lot of posters are drooling over?

It would kind of suck if we draft Bowers @5 and guys will actually be disappointed. Tough crowd. Guess you can't please everyone.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

This is what seems lost on some here. How is Bowers *not* going to be a weapon, albeit in a different form than MHJ, Odunze, or Nabors? Those anti-Bowers-at-number-5 are so keen on one of the WRs with the very same pick. Can any of them block like Bowers can? Are they as good after the catch as Bowers is purported to be? Would they be as good a fit in what JH & Company are trying to build here? Why is Bowers NOT considered a weapon of equal value to the three WRs that a lot of posters are drooling over?

It would kind of suck if we draft Bowers @5 and guys will actually be disappointed. Tough crowd. Guess you can't please everyone.
                      Nobody is going to ask Marvin Harrison, Jr., Malik Nabers, or Rome Odunze to block the players Brock Bowers will be assigned to take on in the NFL.

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

It's a lot harder to win from the outside than it is in the middle. You don't have the sideline to restrict your movements. The number of guys who can consistently win on the outside is much smaller than the guys who can win on the inside.

Can Bowers stretch the field like the receivers can? Can Bowers take defenders out of the box like the receivers can? Can he widen the field to open up running lanes like the WRs can? Can he take the top off a defense like the WRs?

Additionally, the cost of replacement... You can sign a premium TE in FA for $15 million. And by that I mean Kelce, Andrews, Kittle type guys. That's all they make.

To get one of the top 3 WRs you have to pay $25 million +.

You can sign a TE, draft a WR, and have $20 million to sign better OL, RB, DT or whatever compared to drafting a TE and signing a WR of equal quality.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Nobody is going to ask Marvin Harrison, Jr., Malik Nabers, or Rome Odunze to block the players Brock Bowers will be assigned to take on in the NFL.
                          Understood, of course. But, given the direction the HC and FO *appear* to be taking with this team, I ask again: Why is Bowers not considered to be a weapon of equal value as compared to the Big 3 WRs? In other words, why is taking Bowers @5 not a "value" pick? If we trade down to #11 I, for one, don't think Bowers will be there.

Comment

Working...
                          X