• like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    Can we call that a dream draft???
    Rounds 3 to 7, can I hope for another one or two players who will start???
    Wait till you see my final mock......

:sob::demonkid:
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Chargers bringing in Washington OT Kaleb McGary

By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Apr 3, 2019, 9:22am PDT
      Offensive tackle, specifically a new right tackle, has been one of the most common themes among the Chargers' draft needs. Most analysts pair them with an OT either in the first or second round of mock drafts, while some also have the Bolts double-dipping and taking another project later on day 3.

One name that I've seen mentioned in the same breathe as the Chargers on multiple occasions has been Washington right tackle Kaleb McGary, a monolithic prospect with some inspiring history. Recently, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle tweeted out that McGary was set to meet with a litany of clubs, including the Chargers.

McGary stands out among this offensive tackle for a variety of reasons. Usually, it's because he's a hair under 6-foot-8, easily making him one, if not, the tallest prospect at his position. But that's not what does it for me. He separates himself from the pack with his nasty demeanor, demoralizing play style, and "take no prisoners" attitude.

It's this mindset of McGary's that I believe will be his biggest asset and the most important aspect of his game that he can bring to the Chargers. I don't know if you guys have paid much attention to the offensive line, or more specifically, Sam Tevi, but he doesn't exactly do anything to leave his opponents quivering in fear or rattled with intimidation. McGary would boost those ratings a good bit.

Would you guys like to see Kaleb McGary don the bolt next season? Why or why not?
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Here is the ROTO analysis of our draft needs and seems like a pretty accurate reading. OL, DL and FS. Looks like Tevi graded out as the worst RT in football last year.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/dr...needs-chargers

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Wow I bet Feeney graded like shit at guard too.TT better figure out how to draft for the trenches or we won't be seeing a Superbowl in his tenure.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Tevi did okay against Baltimore in the playoff victory, Steve said (I do not remember but I also do not have Steve's eye for that).

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Tevi did okay against Baltimore in the playoff victory, Steve said (I do not remember but I also do not have Steve's eye for that).
              Tevi is streaky...honestly, I think he gets gassed and can't hold up a full game sometimes, especially against the good edge rushers...remember that preseason game when he gave up like 3 sacks in just a few series? Maybe kick him inside to guard and put him in a rotation...maybe rotate him with Magic Lamp...

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Agreed. Curious if he wins the spot this offseason, maybe he gets it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                  Wow I bet Feeney graded like shit at guard too.TT better figure out how to draft for the trenches or we won't be seeing a Superbowl in his tenure.
                  The thing with Feeney is he was actually really highly regarded coming out of college. Most experts (including Mike Mayock) had him pinned as a second round pick and one of the best guard prospects in his draft class. In fact, Forrest Lamp was equally highly regarded coming out of college and ranked as one of the best guard prospects. So who do we blame here for their inability to make the grade in the NFL?

I don't think we can really blame TT because he went out there and selected two of the best guard prospects on day two of the 2017 draft. I think more of the blame attaches itself to the players, especially in Feeney's case since he's been a starter for the past two seasons. Maybe he will get better, but realistically I think it's time we look for upgrades on the interior because the guard play hasn't been good enough. Or at the very least we need to be looking to add more competition.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mike View Post

The thing with Feeney is he was actually really highly regarded coming out of college. Most experts (including Mike Mayock) had him pinned as a second round pick and one of the best guard prospects in his draft class. In fact, Forrest Lamp was equally highly regarded coming out of college and ranked as one of the best guard prospects. So who do we blame here for their inability to make the grade in the NFL?

I don't think we can really blame TT because he went out there and selected two of the best guard prospects on day two of the 2017 draft. I think more of the blame attaches itself to the players, especially in Feeney's case since he's been a starter for the past two seasons. Maybe he will get better, but realistically I think it's time we look for upgrades on the interior because the guard play hasn't been good enough. Or at the very least we need to be looking to add more competition.
                    Good post.
                    What is your assessment of
                    Quessenberry ?
                    I like him as a Guard.
                    My next question is
                    how much does Pouncey
                    have left in the tank ?
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Mike, I was pleasantly surprised
                      when AL proclaimed recently that
                      Lamp will get looks at OT.

Previously, TT has stridently stated that
                      "we view Forrest Lamp as a Guard !"

Comment

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good post.
                        What is your assessment of
                        Quessenberry ?
                        I like him as a Guard.
                        My next question is
                        how much does Pouncey
                        have left in the tank ?
                        I am a UCLA Bruins fan so perhaps I am a bit biased, but I did like Quessenberry coming out of college. I do feel that he can become a starter in this league as long as he works hard and is well coached. From a build stand point he is ideal for a center and he does possess a good all round skill set, though he could play guard as well and he did start at left guard for a handful of games in college; however, I think he's better suited as a center. He's not elite at any one thing, but he is a solid enough player to not let a team down, and he does have a good football IQ and can identify what the defense is setting up to do. So for me Quessenberry does have the potential to be a starter, but whether he's ready to assume those duties this season is debatable.

As for Mike Pouncey, I think he still has a number of seasons left in the tank. From a durability stand point he's played a full slate of games the past two seasons, which is the first time since his first two seasons the league. For us he was solid but no more than that, and I think that's the kind of production we are going to get from him at this point in his career. And that's where someone like Quessenberry comes in because he could be Pouncey's successor a year from now if we don't extend him, or in the future if we decide to give Pouncey an extension. Or alternatively we could slide Pounce over to right guard where he played at a pro bowl level for the Miami Dolphins a few seasons back in order to let us put Quessenberry (or another player) in at center if we felt that was a move that made our OL better. Though for now I think Pouncey holds onto the starting center position, however if his performance doesn't improve I can see us moving on from him a year from now.

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Mike, I was pleasantly surprised
                        when AL proclaimed recently that
                        Lamp will get looks at OT.

Previously, TT has stridently stated that
                        "we view Forrest Lamp as a Guard !"
                        If memory serves Forrest Lamp was a starting left tackle in college, but his lack of height and arm length would likely force him into an interior role in the NFL. Could he handle right tackle duties? I'm not sure. I do think he projects better as a guard but with our lacklustre right tackle position it is not a surprise to hear he will get looks at OT. After all, Sam Tevi blows hot and cold and for me is no more than a backup tackle, while Trent Scott looks to have potential if well coached but is arguably more suited to the left tackle spot. So unless we draft someone to fill the right tackle position (which I think we should do), or add a veteran right tackle, maybe giving Lamp the opportunity to compete with Sam Tevi and Trent Brown will be the way to go?

I personally don't see Lamp being a fit at tackle, but with Feeney, Drango, Schofield, Toner, and potentially Quessenberry competing for the starting guard positions, maybe giving Lamp looks at tackle gives him a better chance of making the roster or having a chance to start.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mike. Solid.

I was a Bruin too. IOL is very important for us. Qberry can be a key cog. I like him at Guard, as stated, but am anxious to see how this shakes out.

Comment

Working...
                          X