Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I am not big on Abram for our needs. Think he is much better in the box than in coverage.
    Another good combo safety...yea, he seems like a box guy, because he did it so well....and there isn't a lot of tape on his coverage skills...but there isn't much bad to say about it either. Like someone else said, we probably brought him in to see if he has the tools to play single high...or in a combo/switch up alignment with James.

I'm intrigued...I'm a Rapp guy first, and before it's all said and done, people on this forum are probably going to get sick of hearing me talk about him...but I am intrigued by Abram. He has shown some sloppy tackling traits...occasionally...but that can be cleaned up. If our guys think he can cover well enough, the rest of the skills are outstanding, and I would welcome him to this defense.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Rapp is an interesting guy. I am not sure what I think about him.

He might make a really nice compliment to James. He is obviously a better deep S than true SS. Rapp can play in the box, but is really better playing deep and then coming up. The flexibility would be nice though, since James can play deep too, could help us with some change of pace stuff.

The really intreguiing thing is his tackling. On early downs, he tends to be very controlled, and while he comes up hard, he is really that last line of defense and not let anyone slip through. On later downs, or when isolated, he is much more aggressive. To me that says he is very thoughtful, almost like Ed Reed. Ed Reed was not much of a factor in the early part of games, but there was no one better later in games. Guy knew how to pick his spots and make game-changing plays. I see the same flashes in Rapp, no big plays allowed early, controlled, no mistakes, but when he needs to be, he is in the thick of things.

I also keep hearing that he is not that great in man coverage. Maybe not, he doesn't get used that way much. But he has a very good press at the line, and in the games I have seen him play, he really forced receivers to redirect, and ruins their timing with the QB. Another plus.

The one thing I am not sure about is his range. He plays deep coverage a lot, but he is not in on a ton of plays in deep coverage. Without the all 22 coverage, it is tough to see if it is him not reading it, or is he just being very safe, in which case you would want to know if it is his coaching that is telling him that. Some people seem to think he has great range and some don't. He doesn't have great stopwatch speed, but he is as fast as a lot of S, so that doesn't answer it for me. So is he a classic FS in a 2 deep/3 deep coverage, or does he have the range to play the single high FS?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Are you talking OT? Cody, if you like him at RT, (and I do) may very well be there at 28...hard to tell. If you are talking about Bobby Evans, I see him lasting till the third, though probably before we pick in the third.
        Yes, Cody.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Im assuming Foles? My comparison to Jones is probably Matt Ryan. Very similar. Jones wasnt surrounded by a lot of talent. He wasnt real accurate but was sacked often. Always under duress and like i said didnt have the skill guys.

I dont necessarily dock him for that stuff. He has the intangibles and QBs in the back of round 1 throughout round 2 need a little work. He will go from Cutcliffe to Rivers. Great coaching. But at his size to run a 4.6 is pretty cool. Moves like a TE. He will be able to do good things with his legs and good players around him..

For all we know the Cards are just trying to generate interest for Murray. I guess we will find out soon.
          Wentz - tall,mobile, well coordinated guys with accuracy. I'm starting to talk myself into thinking he'll be gone by 28. Only saw two games....i'd need to watch more. He showed me a few times that he can get rid of the ball to an open receiver at the last second, when the pocket is breaking down. He'll look downfield instead of looking for a place to run with the ball. I like him.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Wentz - tall,mobile, well coordinated guys with accuracy. I'm starting to talk myself into thinking he'll be gone by 28. Only saw two games....i'd need to watch more. He showed me a few times that he can get rid of the ball to an open receiver at the last second, when the pocket is breaking down. He'll look downfield instead of looking for a place to run with the ball. I like him.
            They do some things similarly. But Wentz has a gun. And is much thicker imo. Just looks more built to me. The one thing about Jones is that his coach has done a good job of teaching him how to go through his progressions. Things hardly developed for Jones as that offense just wasnt very good. But i think his coach still kept him focused on trying to develop good habits on a bad offense. Stick to the plan and be prepared for the NFL. He didnt just tuck and run with all the break downs.

Cutcliffe groomed the Manning Bros.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Rapp is an interesting guy. I am not sure what I think about him.

He might make a really nice compliment to James. He is obviously a better deep S than true SS. Rapp can play in the box, but is really better playing deep and then coming up. The flexibility would be nice though, since James can play deep too, could help us with some change of pace stuff.

The really intreguiing thing is his tackling. On early downs, he tends to be very controlled, and while he comes up hard, he is really that last line of defense and not let anyone slip through. On later downs, or when isolated, he is much more aggressive. To me that says he is very thoughtful, almost like Ed Reed. Ed Reed was not much of a factor in the early part of games, but there was no one better later in games. Guy knew how to pick his spots and make game-changing plays. I see the same flashes in Rapp, no big plays allowed early, controlled, no mistakes, but when he needs to be, he is in the thick of things.

I also keep hearing that he is not that great in man coverage. Maybe not, he doesn't get used that way much. But he has a very good press at the line, and in the games I have seen him play, he really forced receivers to redirect, and ruins their timing with the QB. Another plus.

The one thing I am not sure about is his range. He plays deep coverage a lot, but he is not in on a ton of plays in deep coverage. Without the all 22 coverage, it is tough to see if it is him not reading it, or is he just being very safe, in which case you would want to know if it is his coaching that is telling him that. Some people seem to think he has great range and some don't. He doesn't have great stopwatch speed, but he is as fast as a lot of S, so that doesn't answer it for me. So is he a classic FS in a 2 deep/3 deep coverage, or does he have the range to play the single high FS?
              I wish there was more film of Rapp playing deep...most of the highlights I've seen, he's at SS...I do like his closing speed to break up passes or get picks...

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

He is kinda like LB Wilson, not even close to his pro potential.

Comment

• TijuanaChargers
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

The real question is... What are the eagles, colts and Raiders going to do? I'm pretty sure the boltz won't move up in the first.
                  my guess is the eagles go defense, colts get a WR or DT. Raiders need a TE, G, RB and CB, edge.
                  The boltz will get the player this 4 teams pass on.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    FWIW We are in the market for inside pressure. Pure 1TECHs need not apply. Late round developmental OTs. TEs.

With regard to FSs do NOT forget about instincts and sound tackling. Athleticism and physicality without tackling is only a faster version of Addae.
                    Agree, Wood, instincts are key. If you watch the tape on Derwin the few times he's played deep safety, he frequently edges up and over, even before the ball is thrown, to where the play is going to be. Then, all he has to do is turn on the jets to break it up. THAT'S what we need in a FS...

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TijuanaChargers View Post
                      The real question is... What are the eagles, colts and Raiders going to do? I'm pretty sure the boltz won't move up in the first.
                      my guess is the eagles go defense, colts get a WR or DT. Raiders need a TE, G, RB and CB, edge.
                      The boltz will get the player this 4 teams pass on.
                      Hey man welcome to the Blues. Its great to have you. Make yourself at home.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Pipe dream but wouldn't it be amazing if Ed Oliver has a similar freefall as Derwin and we were able to nab him. Basically, the main knock against Olvier is his size and that he did not play that great as a NT for Houston. But he would be amazing as a 3T for us.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Pipe dream but wouldn't it be amazing if Ed Oliver has a similar freefall as Derwin and we were able to nab him. Basically, the main knock against Olvier is his size and that he did not play that great as a NT for Houston. But he would be amazing as a 3T for us.
                          From your keyboard to the football gods' ears.

Comment

Working...
                          X