• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

I'd much rather trade up to take Titus Howard in the 2nd round, then spend a first on Risner.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      I'd much rather trade up to take Titus Howard in the 2nd round, then spend a first on Risner.
      Tytus is a HUGE gamble. You are taking his athleticism/upside/movement skills into account but his vast limitations in instincts/technique/power/grip strength/competition/experience. He is a developmental prospect with a basement floor but a high ceiling. Late round 3 or day 3, for a loaded team, that doesn't need help on the field at (OL) for 1-2 seasons at a minimum. Very risky prospect imo.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I still think that our DL is better than our OL, even after the departures.
        Lol....what dline? 3 guys?

I really think Lamp, Feeney, Tevi, Scott....they are all gonna get another look. Schofield too...we can't draft half an oline every 2 or 3 years...gotta let prospects grow, gain experience, develop.

Look, if those guys aren't going to cut it, I have faith they will address the issue in the draft...I just don't think that is the case.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

The past 2 drafts we've selected 3 IOL ( Lamp, Feeney, Qberry ) and 1 OT ( Tevi ).
          The previous 2 offseasons we've added Okung, Schofield, and Pouncey.
          Looks to me like we are looking for 1 OT in the draft.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Tytus is a HUGE gamble. You are taking his athleticism/upside/movement skills into account but his vast limitations in instincts/technique/power/grip strength/competition/experience. He is a developmental prospect with a basement floor but a high ceiling. Late round 3 or day 3, for a loaded team, that doesn't need help on the field at (OL) for 1-2 seasons at a minimum. Very risky prospect imo.
            You are describing Vaughn Martin, not Titus. One unidentified GM/scout said that you had to have huge balls to select him in the 1rst round. He'll be gone by the 2nd.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

You are describing Vaughn Martin, not Titus. One unidentified GM/scout said that you had to have huge balls to select him in the 1rst round. He'll be gone by the 2nd.
              Maybe. It doesn't always go the way pundits think. They over hype a handful of players.

Like I also doubt it isn't even a consideration for us to trade for Rosen. Our front office has said nothing about it and signed a backup.

It's all a guessing game by these guys going by the age of our QB and they been talking about it since 2015.

Some talk up Isaiah Prince in here but I think he is a bit of a project and not a first year starter. Of course if Tevi got hurt he would have to fill in and might do OK but as a rookie he could really struggle like Tevi did.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-18-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Titus in the 1st gets a GM fired.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Titus in the 1st gets a GM fired.
                  Wellllllll.....there's that...........

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I suggested we trade up in one of the threads a while back and was told that was crazy but I do believe if Oliver is available in picks 10-15 the chargers will look to trade up to get him. IMO I honestly believe the chargers have Oliver rated as there top draft board pick but realize the only way to get him is to trade up. Alot of the early mock drafts that i had seen atleast had Ed Oliver going past the tenth pick. But now most mocks have him going in top 5. Everyone is talking about Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa but Oliver imo will be the most impactful out of those three.
                    That's because outside of the top 10 (which would cost too much to move up into), it's better to trade down or stay put. It seems that certain pundits feel the same way also:

The 2019 draft is still more than two weeks away, but some quarterback-needy teams might already be thinking about next year (and maybe even the year after)—so here’s a quick look at some of the QBs who will likely be in the ’20 draft class. Also, inside Demarcus Lawrence’s contract negotiations, Josh Rosen showing up for the Cardinals’ offseason workouts, the biggest challenge ahead for Packers new coach Matt LaFleur and more. 

"This is a good year to have as many second-, third- or fourth-round picks as you can," one team's decision-maker told me. While there may be a small group of very elite players at the top, he explained that there also seem to be more players with a starter grade than in other years, which is why those second- to fourth-rounders are so valuable.
                    7. It's not unusual that you'd have more teams looking to move down than up in April, but it certainly seems like that's even more the case this year than it has been before. The reason? There's not much difference, as most teams see it, between the No. 10 and No. 15 picks. I had one team tell me over the weekend that the second round, based on grades, and depending on where the quarterbacks go, starts for them around the No. 12 or 13 pick.

The upshot? There's rich depth well into Friday, so it's good to have volume in this draft. The Panthers, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Steelers and Redskins each have three picks on Friday. The Patriots have five. In an effort to build capital in that area, I'm told that two teams will be aggressively looking to deal down in the first round: the Lions and Seahawks.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Jeremiah is a guy I respect.

Daniel Jeremiah Details Positions the Bolts Could Target in the Draft

Hayley Elwood

The 2019 NFL Draft is exactly one week from today.

With the event so quickly on the horizon, NFL Network's resident draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah held a media conference call to preview the positions and players, and even played a little prognosticator.

Jeremiah, who in the fall spends his Sundays as the Chargers' radio color analyst, was naturally asked a few questions about the Bolts and who he thinks would be a good fit for them at 28th-overall.

As such, he whittled his prospects down to three position groups on one side of the ball: safety, cornerback and defensive tackle. His reasoning for the first two positions is because he feels the receiving corps of teams in the AFC West have become stacked since free agency, so finding players to come into a secondary and compete right away would be wise to defend teams' aerial attacks.

With that said, Jeremiah most recently mocked Temple safety Rock Ya-Sin to the Chargers. While he noted in his mock that Ya-Sin would be a good choice for the Bolts, he further explained on Thursday how Ya-Sin provides a good intangibles fit for the team.

"I had them taking Rock Ya-Sin from Temple who is somebody that has a toughness that (Defensive Coordinator) Gus Bradley likes to go along with some ball skills," he explained.

Moving from safety to corner, Jeremiah shared his thoughts on why that position could be one to keep your eyes on come draft day. He also explained that the Chargers' positioning at 28 bodes well for them.

"I don't think there's anybody in the secondary worth taking in the top of the draft," Jeremiah said. "I'd just go back and just watching the team in some big games, I thought, man, they can use another body, another guy at corner would be a big help, and unfortunately Jason Verrett just couldn't stay healthy. Michael Davis has some intriguing skills, but I think they look to upgrade that position pretty early on in this draft, and I think the sweet spot of the draft for corners is kind of where they're located. I mean, that's where I think you'll see that run take place."

Keeping with the theme on defense, Jeremiah talked most about the defensive tackle prospects and who best would benefit the Bolts. He rattled off a few names that may sound familiar to draft aficionados and discussed in detail why these players would be good fits in L.A.

"One guy I would keep an eye on, just because I love his game and I think he would be such a great fit with the Chargers, is (Clemson's) Christian Wilkins (if he somehow) started to drift a little bit," he noted. "I just think he'd be a fantastic fit. I do not think he ends up being there. (Clemson's) Dexter Lawrence, I don't think that's really their style. I think you look for more of a penetrator. I think you'd be more likely to see somebody like a Jerry Tillery (Notre Dame) at that point in time that would make more sense. It's a little bit early for Ohio State's Dre'Mont Jones, but I think he's somebody -- in a trade-back scenario in the second round, that's somebody that fits what they do who can penetrate and get up field a little bit."

We'll all find out what happens in a week's time.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Very interesting read F21.

Jeremiah's ideas are valuable.

As our broadcast color guy,
                        he has great perspective.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

What if DK Metcalf is BPA? Do you take him?
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X