• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    If the Bolts really want Eason that bad, they'll have to take him at #6--remember, top QB's go fast...Eason may go in the top 10...I'd rather quit messing around and draft a premium OT like Wirfs or Wills...then see who's there at QB in round 2...
    i think one should also consider they might very well draft in the top ten next year.

Round 2 would be hurst: would you want hurst knowing lynn very well might not be back the year after next?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

You of all people, continually blasting Rivers for letting us down all these years, want to replace him by sifting thru the bargain bin in the second round? Just see whats laying around when we pick?:facepalm1:
      Bargain bins are crap shoots, not sound strategy. There's a couple teams out there that got lucky ... and a hell of alot more that didnt and the failures are forgotten.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Trade down to where? What spot do you trade down to and feel confident, no, certain you still get him? Who is trading up and paying premium that doesn’t need or want a QB (the most common but obviously not the only reason a team wants to trade up to high first round).
        Actually, if Herbert or Tua is still there at 6, and we wanna go in a different direction, there could be a lucrative market there for us...lot more teams out there that would like to pick up a top tier QB prospect than some here realize...but I see your point. Say they actually like Eason better than Herbert...then somebody else might too...in fact, it's probable....cuz to take Eason over Herbert, he pretty much has to blow him away in the process, and that will be observed. Risky moving back, if a QB is what you want...just take the guy you want when you pick,don't get cute.

On the other hand, if QB is not the priority, and you get offered a nice package of picks, move back.

Sure...if they love Eason, I would love for them to pull off a Blue chip player in the first, and then packaging a third or fourth to move back up and snatch him...but I have no faith in that type of deal...you can't rely on that type of plan to actually work...too many variables. Unless Rivers comes back cheap...then you have a plan B.
        The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

You of all people, continually blasting Rivers for letting us down all these years, want to replace him by sifting thru the bargain bin in the second round? Just see whats laying around when we pick?:facepalm1:
          OT is a premium need...however, having said that, I've also said that IF the Bolts have a QB on the board when they pick, rated higher than Tyrod or Stick, and especially with more upside, then pull the trigger...my thinking is that if we build out O-line, thru draft and FA, even an average QB will look good...

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

...and it continued with AJ Smith firing Marty, then hiring Norv...
            No.... it continued with Deano being the owner and not flexing his muscles on this....

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

OT is a premium need...however, having said that, I've also said that IF the Bolts have a QB on the board when they pick, rated higher than Tyrod or Stick, and especially with more upside, then pull the trigger...my thinking is that if we build out O-line, thru draft and FA, even an average QB will look good...
              I wonder why you'd draft that QB high if you really believe what you said in the part that's bold?

Also, for the sake of argument, - we already have QB that's better than Tyler or Stick.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• PR#1
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I wonder why you'd draft that QB high if you really believe what you said in the part that's bold?

Also, for the sake of argument, - we already have QB that's better than Tyler or Stick.
                :lol: :beer:
                Last edited by PR#1; 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Cap space for starters.
                  It's all about the cycles of football.
                  You and I have lived through the Chargers clinging to Dan Fouts too long.
                  Refusing to trade for Elway.
                  Passing on Deshaun Watson.
                  Both because it "wasn't time yet."
                  Well, it is time.
                  The era of the mobile QB is upon us.
                  A new Charger cycle of football has begun.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Actually, if Herbert or Tua is still there at 6, and we wanna go in a different direction, there could be a lucrative market there for us...lot more teams out there that would like to pick up a top tier QB prospect than some here realize...but I see your point. Say they actually like Eason better than Herbert...then somebody else might too...in fact, it's probable....cuz to take Eason over Herbert, he pretty much has to blow him away in the process, and that will be observed. Risky moving back, if a QB is what you want...just take the guy you want when you pick,don't get cute.

On the other hand, if QB is not the priority, and you get offered a nice package of picks, move back.

Sure...if they love Eason, I would love for them to pull off a Blue chip player in the first, and then packaging a third or fourth to move back up and snatch him...but I have no faith in that type of deal...you can't rely on that type of plan to actually work...too many variables. Unless Rivers comes back cheap...then you have a plan B.
                    There's some calculated risk for sure. They should have a good sense, by the time Miami selects, of where the 4rth qb chosen will go.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

That's not a high standard for taking the plunge. I really like Thomas/Wills.....and it would be a shame to pass on a francise LT.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Cap space for starters.
                        It's all about the cycles of football.
                        You and I have lived through the Chargers clinging to Dan Fouts too long.
                        Refusing to trade for Elway.
                        Passing on Deshaun Watson.
                        Both because it "wasn't time yet."
                        Well, it is time.
                        The era of the mobile QB is upon us.
                        A new Charger cycle of football has begun.
                        Wood, I agree to some extent. The difference is I think Rivers is still a good QB and I believe everyone (except maybe Topcat and Caslon) could see that next year if we can improve the OL. If we can provide ample time for Rivers and open holes for our RB's this team will be back to a 12-4 team next year. OR, we could spend our top picks in the draft on a QB, RB, WR and be worse next year. - That's what we've often done in the past.

If I thought they could land Burrow I'd change my tune quickly but I fear Tua over his health concerns and I think at least three teams in front of us will grab a QB so we're looking at whoever is #4.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Food for thought, 'Roo.
                          Thank you for your wisdom and insight.

Here's a statement for consideration.

Philip Rivers is as much
                          a victim of the move to LA
                          as Charger fans.