• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silversurfer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Los Angeles
    • Send PM

OT 1st pick and Eason in the 2nd Round? Will he still be there? Please tell me yes.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

I'm not saying anything against Eason...might be a great prospect. I just want to address the whole 2nd/3rd/4th round prospect idea behind selecting a QB.

That is a good plan if:

1. You have a successful, experienced QB, who has another 1-2 good years left in him, for the guy to sit behind...and that QB is ok with an understudy.
      2. The prospect you are looking at has great tools, and looks the part, but just hasn't put it all together yet, perhaps do to overall playing time.
      3. The prospect has no identifiable problems going into the pros that have to be completely overhauled...because teaching vision, recognition skills, and pocket awareness is a crap shoot.

Eason or another prospect may meet 2 and 3...but if Rivers doesn't come back, I don't have faith in Tyrod or our staff imprinting any type of growth on a prospective QB...I like our staff, but not with growing a new QB. Either you pick a stud, if we can, if one is even available...or within our reach...or you build the team, Rivers or no. Tyrod wants to start...he isn't going to be interested in helping a rookie. I think Phillip might be humbled enough to do just that. TT even eluded to Rivers as a future coach in his presser. Just my gut feeling, could be wrong. Guy loves the game, and I think he loves this team, even if it's just his own pride in being a Charger all these years...I think he identifies himself as a Charger. That is who he is...

Hell, if they like Eason, spend the 6 on him. If you are gambling on him being there in the second, you aren't in love with the guy, and he probably shouldn't be your choice as the next franchise QB.

That is how I feel in a nutshell...if you are spending a 2nd or later pick on a QB, it's because you think he might be the next guy...idealistic as it is, that is not how I want to pick our next QB.

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Silversurfer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Los Angeles
        • Send PM

I see what your saying, maybe we can trade back in still grab him because this team just has so many holes to fill. Herbert or Eason still not sure who is the stud between the two.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          I'm not saying anything against Eason...might be a great prospect. I just want to address the whole 2nd/3rd/4th round prospect idea behind selecting a QB.

That is a good plan if:

1. You have a successful, experienced QB, who has another 1-2 good years left in him, for the guy to sit behind...and that QB is ok with an understudy.
          2. The prospect you are looking at has great tools, and looks the part, but just hasn't put it all together yet, perhaps do to overall playing time.
          3. The prospect has no identifiable problems going into the pros that have to be completely overhauled...because teaching vision, recognition skills, and pocket awareness is a crap shoot.

Eason or another prospect may meet 2 and 3...but if Rivers doesn't come back, I don't have faith in Tyrod or our staff imprinting any type of growth on a prospective QB...I like our staff, but not with growing a new QB. Either you pick a stud, if we can, if one is even available...or within our reach...or you build the team, Rivers or no. Tyrod wants to start...he isn't going to be interested in helping a rookie. I think Phillip might be humbled enough to do just that. TT even eluded to Rivers as a future coach in his presser. Just my gut feeling, could be wrong. Guy loves the game, and I think he loves this team, even if it's just his own pride in being a Charger all these years...I think he identifies himself as a Charger. That is who he is...

Hell, if they like Eason, spend the 6 on him. If you are gambling on him being there in the second, you aren't in love with the guy, and he probably shouldn't be your choice as the next franchise QB.

That is how I feel in a nutshell...if you are spending a 2nd or later pick on a QB, it's because you think he might be the next guy...idealistic as it is, that is not how I want to pick our next QB.

Don't necessarily agree. Every player is a gamble to some extent. Ravens loved Lamar Jackson, and moved up to draft him; but they didn't love him enough to use their first pick.

If you are gambling on Eason being there in the 2nd round, then you love him, but not enough to pull the trigger in the first round. However, i don't think he'll make it to the Chargers 2nd pick.

Agree with Rivers being the perfect qb for Eason to sit behind for two years - and not Taylor. Rivers sat behind Brees for two years, they are still friends: Rivers should be able to handle it.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Don't necessarily agree. Every player is a gamble to some extent. Ravens loved Lamar Jackson, and moved up to draft him; but they didn't love him enough to use their first pick.

If you are gambling on Eason being there in the 2nd round, then you love him, but not enough to pull the trigger in the first round. However, i don't think he'll make it to the Chargers 2nd pick.

Agree with Rivers being the perfect qb for Eason to sit behind for two years - and not Taylor. Rivers sat behind Brees for two years, they are still friends: Rivers should be able to handle it.
            Exactly my point...they gambled that second pick...they were not sure...it just so happens they won. Sure, it would be nice if it went that way for us...but that is not how I like to approach drafting players, and hope our front office feels the same way...especially about QB. Too often, more often in fact, it does not work out. But who knows...maybe we will get away with a gamble this year...
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
              San Diego Native
              • Feb 2019
              • Farmington, NM
              • Send PM

If we like Eason, a trade up from 37 to 30-32 wouldn't cost much and would give us another year on a rookie contract.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post
                If we like Eason, a trade up from 37 to 30-32 wouldn't cost much and would give us another year on a rookie contract.
                Yeah, that 5th year almost makes it better to give up a pick and draft a qb in the 1rst as opposed to letting him drop to you.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                  ~ Charger Fan ~
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Jupiter, FL
                  • Send PM

A couple of day 3 guys I would target are JD Spielman wr from Nebraska and Thomas Graham jr cb from Oregon.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Sam Tevi had a bad year.
                    So did Des King.
                    Okudah = BPA.
                    Breaking news.
                    CB is a position of value.
                    A coverage sack is still a sack.
                    And Epenesa lacks explosion ?
                    Then how does he spend
                    so much time in
                    opponents backfields ?
                    Wills > Thomas >> Wirfs.
                    Therefore, we take Wirfs.
                    Ha ha ha ha ha.
                    It's early...
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

With how deep the WR class is id love a guy like Reagor to drop to the 3rd. Didnt have a huge year. Hope that drops him some. Get a discount on a player who would have had huge numbers on a better offense.

This kid is crazy good on punt returns as well. Slot. Outside. PR. Really looking at this round for a WR or RB.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

If we go with a pocket passer, it's Eason. It we go running QB, it's Jalen Hurts.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Geez Jordan Love 5th overall? I brought him up as a 2nd or 3rd round guy. What is it they see that our board draft geniuses dont see? Maybe its upside? Potential? Crazy to see him this high. Looks like i hit it on the nail. I stated he would be one of those guys that rockets up boards based on athleticism and potential. But already? Curious to see what his pro day entails. I think scouts like his potential.

​​​​​​https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ua-tagovailoa/

Comment

Working...
                          X