Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He says Wills has no flaws, studies his opponents and is smart. Shows how Wills is adept at picking up stunts.
    It would be refreshing to see a Charger offensive tackle not pee in his pants when the tackle/end stunt comes.
    So much for how Wills is stupid and can't pick up NFL playbooks.

Thinks Wills is ready to start day 1 and has HOF potential. This guy has an incredibly high floor.

Wills/Okudah/Simmons....and i probably would pick Wills if all three are there.
    This is what I’ve always liked about Wills why he has to be in the cluster at 6.
    we can do worse than plugging a hole with as sure a thing as there is.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

But Becton has a high ceiling.
      He has to.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        But Becton has a high ceiling.
        He has to.
        sad rimshot GIF

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

There is only one beach...

does Wills have anywhere near the core strength that an Andrew Thomas and/or Wirfs do ??

and how much can you extrapolate/speculate on how good Wirfs "woulda" been w/another year under the tutelage of Ferentz ??

and not sure how you guys aren't scared off by the DJ (Fluker) litany/lineage ?? (y'all are braver than eye)
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I guess of course it depends on what they do in FA. But as of today, rather than having a 5th great WR, I would like 1 great QB, 2 good OT, 1 good IDT, 1 good ILB, 1 Every down RB, i more good CB, 1 good OG/C, ... I just passed 7 picks yet without even picking one WR. So lets drop 2 of the needs to fit in one WR. We’ll take WR plus 1 OT, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1 RB, 1 QB, and 1 OG

But to draft 3 WRs we need to neglect two more areas. Which two do you recommend we leave at 2019 level so we can add a 4th and 5th WR in the draft? I’m concerned we already dropped CB and one OT from our target list to just draft 1 WR. BPA is a great theory until we end up with a squad with 10 WRs on it. 3 of 7 picks on WR is a plan to repeat 2019
            Your Thinking that you can go into the draft like a shopping list at a grocery store. You might do better having a walk on say in linebacker group if there isn't one available but there happens to be plenty of receivers. We won't be able to get everything we need through the draft because we might draft a QB. 1 or 2 positions might have to be filled through free agency. But man if it's apple season (receivers) I'd rather buy a bunch of apples rather than moldy lemons (players that wont make the team).
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

does Wills have anywhere near the core strength that an Andrew Thomas and/or Wirfs do ??

and how much can you extrapolate/speculate on how good Wirfs "woulda" been w/another year under the tutelage of Ferentz ??

and not sure how you guys aren't scared off by the DJ (Fluker) litany/lineage ?? (y'all are braver than eye)
              They are all very strong.
              I would include Becton.
              There could be a run of 6-10 OTs in the first 50.
              Tiers.
              Coach Campen's choice.
              Or even one of his mid round specials.
              beach, I am ready to throw some serious coin at Conklin.
              This is an investment.
              Several others seem like potential wastes of cap room.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

They are all very strong.
                I would include Becton.
                There could be a run of 6-10 OTs in the first 50.
                Tiers.
                Coach Campen's choice.
                Or even one of his mid round specials.
                beach, I am ready to throw some serious coin at Conklin.
                This is an investment.
                Several others seem like potential wastes of cap room.
                I'm starting to think they are focused on getting one of the OTs at #6.

Tua's health/size is a big concern & the upside is not an elite qb in my opinion: good, but not elite.
                * Brown just isn't explosive enough for Telesco's liking
                * Bradley is not looking for a press corner - Okudah fits any scheme, but they won't maximize his talents
                * Simmons? They can live without him....they've invested a lot in defensive players last two drafts, and he's just not physical enough to fall
                madly in love with. His pass rushing skills will be diminished at the NFL level (and rarely used), he doesn't work through traffic well, he's not always
                in the best position in zone. Bradley could use him to cover the deep zone, which was lacking for the Chargers in the past, but with the emergence of Adderley, that
                might no longer be necessary. Phillips would be the odd man out if the choice is Simmons....which isn't reason enough, but to many little things cut against this choice.

* OT...huge, huge, huge need.....and there is a potential all pro waiting there at #6. Offense might be as stagnant as a cesspool next year with their current OTs and qb.

If they don't get an OT in free agency....i think the writing is on the wall.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Tua's health/size is a big concern & the upside is not an elite qb in my opinion: good, but not elite.
                  * Bradley is not looking for a press corner - Okudah fits any scheme, but they won't maximize his talents
                  * Simmons? They can live without him....they've invested a lot in defensive players last two drafts, and he's just not physical enough to fall
                  madly in love with. His pass rushing skills will be diminished at the NFL level (and rarely used), he doesn't work through traffic well, he's not always
                  in the best position in zone. Bradley could use him to cover the deep zone, which was lacking for the Chargers in the past, but with the emergence of Adderley, that
                  might no longer be necessary. Phillips would be the odd man out if the choice is Simmons....which isn't reason enough, but to many little things cut against this choice.

* OT...huge, huge, huge need.....and there is a potential all pro waiting there at #6. Offense might be as stagnant as a cesspool next year with their current OTs and qb.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

AS far as the Simmons critique

1). Not that many college LB are all that physical these days. They are mostly poor man's DB who are not very good at attacking the line. I agree, Simmons is not that great at being phsyical, but I am not sure you can knock him on it, when that is the norm these days.

2). Simmons man coverage skills are pretty elite. That is where he stands out. I agree, his zone drops are not great, although I don't think at lot of his drops are being coached. I think he is asked to read the QB behind a blitz and get lost in the wash, where he gets some big plays because QB don't see him. When he is used more traditionally, especially as a S, he does a good job in his drops. Most college LB need a lot of work in coverage, so no matter what the cause, I don't think it is that big an issue.

3). How Bradley will use him is the real issue. Typically, a D will only scheme around 1 player. That guy, in our D is Derwin. Simmons is likely to be a guy who just drops into zones. I think he will quickly become a great zone coverage LB, but I think it is not a role that he would be able to dominate in. He might be outstanding at it, but offenses will just go somewhere else where they can pick on someone else.

4). Even if we draft Simmons, they can use Phillips as a backup S, additional ILB and ST star. They can use Simmons and Phillips as our 2 ILB in the dime D. Even if Adderley takes over at FS and Jenkins takes Phillips place in the dime LB spot, I think there is a place for Phillips.

As much as I think we need to add a top OT, it is worth remembering, that it is filling all/most of the holes along the OL that is the most important. Plenty of teams have gone on to championships without an elite OL, but those teams didn't have any holes along the line. Teams with elite guys are not very good if there is a hole. It is more about adding numbers, than it is about adding elite guys.

As far as Okudah, remember, that in Seattle, and then again in Jacksonville, Bradley played a lot of man coverage. The D works best mixing in press man and zone. The problem I see with Okudah is that he is the only player we have that fits that Hayward is a great off man and zone CB. If he has to get up and press WR ... it is just not where he excels. And until we have the other pieces, it is hard to play that kind of D. That is the rub, you need multiple guys who can cover that way, but you can't cover that way and develop the right kinds of plays till you have the pieces in place.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

We need Bobby Wagner

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        We need Bobby Wagner
                        Yes. We've needed Telesco to find our Bobby Wagner for years now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

AS far as the Simmons critique

1). Not that many college LB are all that physical these days. They are mostly poor man's DB who are not very good at attacking the line. I agree, Simmons is not that great at being phsyical, but I am not sure you can knock him on it, when that is the norm these days.

2). Simmons man coverage skills are pretty elite. That is where he stands out. I agree, his zone drops are not great, although I don't think at lot of his drops are being coached. I think he is asked to read the QB behind a blitz and get lost in the wash, where he gets some big plays because QB don't see him. When he is used more traditionally, especially as a S, he does a good job in his drops. Most college LB need a lot of work in coverage, so no matter what the cause, I don't think it is that big an issue.

3). How Bradley will use him is the real issue. Typically, a D will only scheme around 1 player. That guy, in our D is Derwin. Simmons is likely to be a guy who just drops into zones. I think he will quickly become a great zone coverage LB, but I think it is not a role that he would be able to dominate in. He might be outstanding at it, but offenses will just go somewhere else where they can pick on someone else.

4). Even if we draft Simmons, they can use Phillips as a backup S, additional ILB and ST star. They can use Simmons and Phillips as our 2 ILB in the dime D. Even if Adderley takes over at FS and Jenkins takes Phillips place in the dime LB spot, I think there is a place for Phillips.

As much as I think we need to add a top OT, it is worth remembering, that it is filling all/most of the holes along the OL that is the most important. Plenty of teams have gone on to championships without an elite OL, but those teams didn't have any holes along the line. Teams with elite guys are not very good if there is a hole. It is more about adding numbers, than it is about adding elite guys.

As far as Okudah, remember, that in Seattle, and then again in Jacksonville, Bradley played a lot of man coverage. The D works best mixing in press man and zone. The problem I see with Okudah is that he is the only player we have that fits that Hayward is a great off man and zone CB. If he has to get up and press WR ... it is just not where he excels. And until we have the other pieces, it is hard to play that kind of D. That is the rub, you need multiple guys who can cover that way, but you can't cover that way and develop the right kinds of plays till you have the pieces in place.
                          Perhaps Simmons can gain a little strength in an NFL program and a year or two of manhood. He’s got extra speed to burn.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X