• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Lone Bolt, your last line made me lol. I'd be ok if they wait until round two for a QB. I'm afraid of Tua because of his injury history.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I hope they use that #6 pick on a great OT, not on a QB because history says that every QB is a risk. If Simmons is there take him, if not, trade down or take one of the top OT's. I really doubt five teams will pass on Simmons.
      I was struck reading down the list of Rd1 picks in Joey's class posted over in the "what to pay Joey" thread was that was the first guy on that list to not have his contract option exercised was a ... yes ... OT. Conklin. OT isn't a sure thing either, i guess.

that said, I'm not sold on Love at all. He looks like a project to me. Projects are much higher risk than proven elite players. meh, i'm a horrible scout - i'll just follow you guys ...
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I love Simmons....and in this draft, he is great for us. He is either gonna make a team in front of us stand pat and take him, instead of trading away their pick for someone to leapfrog us, and steal a QB...hence, better chance for Tua or Herbert to reach us at #6...or he is gonna be one hell of a consolation prize if we do miss out on a QB....hopefully.
        I do agree that Simmons is a hell of a player.... reminds me of Seau, making plays all over the field, in coverage or the box or pressuring QB's...... Seau was bigger but also ran fast enough to play safety..... Seau was the quickest Charger his entire career and just him faking a blitz scared QB's enough that they there the ball early.... sometimes causing picks.... Simmons's speed will scare QB's...... though Burrow did pretty well against him....

If we had a great QB, I'd be all over Simmons or if he was gone either Okudah or brown..... i still would rather upgrade OL in FA(our luck/skill with drafting OL has not been good)....so we can add skill players on offense and a special player or 2 on defense ......

I honestly think that there will be 4 QB's taken in top 6 picks along with Young, and either Simmons or Okudah ....... and there will likely be a trade or 2 causing that to happen...... and there are about a dozen teams that desperately need a new QB.......

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I do agree that Simmons is a hell of a player.... reminds me of Seau, making plays all over the field, in coverage or the box or pressuring QB's...... Seau was bigger but also ran fast enough to play safety..... Seau was the quickest Charger his entire career and just him faking a blitz scared QB's enough that they there the ball early.... sometimes causing picks.... Simmons's speed will scare QB's...... though Burrow did pretty well against him....

If we had a great QB, I'd be all over Simmons or if he was gone either Okudah or brown..... i still would rather upgrade OL in FA(our luck/skill with drafting OL has not been good)....so we can add skill players on offense and a special player or 2 on defense ......

I honestly think that there will be 4 QB's taken in top 6 picks along with Young, and either Simmons or Okudah ....... and there will likely be a trade or 2 causing that to happen...... and there are about a dozen teams that desperately need a new QB.......
          Thanks for bolding that last bit...saved me the trouble, cuz that is what I want to address. 4 in the first 6? No. Don't buy all the media hype, I know the teams won't. Sure, there are reaches every year...but 4 QBs in the top 6 ain't happening. Also, a dozen teams "desperately" needing a new QB? I would say that is closer to 2 or 3...Cincy and the Fins. Even we are not desperate, though it would be prudent to give heavy consideration, picking at #6. Don't forget...there is a loaded FA class as far as QBs go. I predict Rivers will fill the Colts void for a few years, and Teddy Bridgewater is gonna take another team off of the QB needy team list...Jags got a lot of green pumped into Foles, and a wildly popular Minshew will get another shot.

The wildcard is Carolina...they might make things a bit interesting...it all depends on whether they really are gonna roll with Cam...but even if they trade in front of us, and Burrows, Tua, and Herbert are gone when we go on the clock...you don't seriously believe we will pick a QB? Love? Don't buy the hype, bro...not at #6.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

If Simmons was 248 instead of 238, my nipples would be hard. I see Safety as at best the fourth biggest need on defense behind DT, ILB, and CB. Add in OLB ahead of S, S is arguably our strongest group on the D side (I am assuming Adderley becomes a wicked backfield ball hawk, btw - so grain of salt tharr).

If Simmons can line up in the box half the time in base formations and not get blown up, he'd be monster and count me in. Can he? (i'm a horrible scout, i can't judge something this important!). I thought LSU was pretty effective at neutralizing him out of the game entirely in the Champ Game.

edit: I also once saw San Diego State completely erase Khalil Mack out of their puny potato bowl game and rush for 249 yards, another 200+ pass. and he turned out to be an ok player in the NFL . so one bowl game does not a player make.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Thanks for bolding that last bit...saved me the trouble, cuz that is what I want to address. 4 in the first 6? No. Don't buy all the media hype, I know the teams won't. Sure, there are reaches every year...but 4 QBs in the top 6 ain't happening. Also, a dozen teams "desperately" needing a new QB? I would say that is closer to 2 or 3...Cincy and the Fins. Even we are not desperate, though it would be prudent to give heavy consideration, picking at #6. Don't forget...there is a loaded FA class as far as QBs go. I predict Rivers will fill the Colts void for a few years, and Teddy Bridgewater is gonna take another team off of the QB needy team list...Jags got a lot of green pumped into Foles, and a wildly popular Minshew will get another shot.

The wildcard is Carolina...they might make things a bit interesting...it all depends on whether they really are gonna roll with Cam...but even if they trade in front of us, and Burrows, Tua, and Herbert are gone when we go on the clock...you don't seriously believe we will pick a QB? Love? Don't buy the hype, bro...not at #6.
              There is intel today that WAS will take Tua at 2.

That means MIA trades with DET for Herbert.

Leaving Love to LAC @ #6 as the only question mark.

I predicted this several weeks ago.

Don't bet the house.

We might just take Love @ #6, based upon athleticism and upside.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

I know, right? And everyone under the sun(in the media) are pumping this kid, and trotting out the excuse about new coaches and team mates last year...none of them threw into coverage, he made those decisions...all of the sudden, all the pundits are Love apologists...

I don't hate the kid, and maybe he will be successful...but all this hype is comical. He is a project, not worth the #6. Comparisons to Mahomes?:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Another thing I can't believe...how he is compared(unfairly, IMO) to Herbert. There should be no comparison...side by side at Senior Bowl week, Senior Bowl, and combine. Herbert was better at everything, including throwing at the combine...and Herbert had a better career playing against superior competition. They shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Herbert is a first rounder, Love is not.
                The reality is there are ONLY 2 consistently accurate QB's in this draft....Burrow and Tua ..... period.....

Hebert has all the tools but no touch, and he consistently misses 2nd and 3rd reads ..... he should not be a first rounder(but teams desperate for QB's will; reach of they miss out on the sure fired top ones)...... Love can throw with touch and he can beat tight coverage, but he needs some great coaching..... not sure if he will ever become consistently good, but he is a much more natural passer than Hebert(and remember there has never been a great QB from that gimmick Oregon system.. many were drafted but they all failed in NFL)........ and he can throw on the run or from awkward positions...... but even though that similarity to mahomes is kind of true, it still does not mean he will be successful in NFL.....and not everyone thought mahomes would be great in NFL..... most didn't or he would have been drafted much higher or at #1....... Reid obviously did his homework....

remember mahomes is the only QB(lots of previous failures) from that gimmick texas tech super high scoring offense to actually do anything in NFL and we all know that Reid's brilliant simple system, along with a group of sub 4.4 speedy receivers and today's rules have helped make that work out..... and remember Reid used Alex Smith and chase daniels to dominate Chargers defense every time they have played..... so his system with all that speed is the biggest factor......

I wish Chargers had kept Rivers, but they chose not to pay him big money on a tag to contract so he is gone...... now we have to find a new QB to lead the franchise for the next 15 years..... we have no choice ...... we either need to trade up or gamble that hebert to Love will somehow greatly improve in NFL....... I say trading up has far better odds of success.....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The reality is there are ONLY 2 consistently accurate QB's in this draft....Burrow and Tua ..... period.....

Hebert has all the tools but no touch, and he consistently misses 2nd and 3rd reads ..... he should not be a first rounder(but teams desperate for QB's will; reach of they miss out on the sure fired top ones)...... Love can throw with touch and he can beat tight coverage, but he needs some great coaching..... not sure if he will ever become consistently good, but he is a much more natural passer than Hebert(and remember there has never been a great QB from that gimmick Oregon system.. many were drafted but they all failed in NFL)........ and he can throw on the run or from awkward positions...... but even though that similarity to mahomes is kind of true, it still does not mean he will be successful in NFL.....and not everyone thought mahomes would be great in NFL..... most didn't or he would have been drafted much higher or at #1....... Reid obviously did his homework....

remember mahomes is the only QB(lots of previous failures) from that gimmick texas tech super high scoring offense to actually do anything in NFL and we all know that Reid's brilliant simple system, along with a group of sub 4.4 speedy receivers and today's rules have helped make that work out..... and remember Reid used Alex Smith and chase daniels to dominate Chargers defense every time they have played..... so his system with all that speed is the biggest factor......

I wish Chargers had kept Rivers, but they chose not to pay him big money on a tag to contract so he is gone...... now we have to find a new QB to lead the franchise for the next 15 years..... we have no choice ...... we either need to trade up or gamble that hebert to Love will somehow greatly improve in NFL....... I say trading up has far better odds of success.....
                  Ive been thinking the exact reverse - that gimmick system retarded his development as a QB. He's got mad skills imo, put him in a proper NFL program with a good QB coach and he could exceed Love. perhaps. or not lol.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Off-season is all about apologizing, lol. Herbert’s negatives are all about somebody else’s fault, just like River’s. Love made mistakes and we should crucify him lol. Hurts can’t throw, et al.

Looking at these young QBs, it’s all about what you think they CAN do at the next level. Everybody thinks one hit wonder Burrow, cuz he found the right system, will be can’t miss in the pros. Tua if healthy can be even more. Herbert can learn and grow and be a winning QB. Ditto Love but with a longer curve. Hurts has folks split, I think he can be as good a pro as any of the above, some think Eason or Fromm. But it’s all conjecture based on faulty ie non-NFL playing data.

So who are the Chargers in love with? No idea, but I bet we come out of this draft with a QB in rounds 1 or 2. If they drop a 1st on somebody, I will totally roll with it cuz all these guys seem like they MAY have IT. But no fucking way of knowing unless you open the box lol. Hope TT and co. are doing their homework.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yes, I also predicted Love might move to the first round, maybe even the top 10, and some people laughed at the notion...well, we shall see...

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love!"
                      I said he did some things like Mahomes. The arm strength throwing across his body is something. I also said that some of those crap passes on film are caught in the pros. I didnt even know about the coaching turnover and injuries. It was based on the throws and NFL caliber potential.

I dont think anyone has climbed faster than he has. But im not really a fan.

I still really like Jalen Hurts. If we are intent on an offense set for Taylors skillset he makes sense. But in the 3rd or move back into the back of the 2nd.

5K total yards. 50TDs. Thinking a Dak Prescott type player.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        I told you guys this would happen with Love when most had him in the 4th round range.
                        Still where he should be.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Okay, let's take a close look at Love in the Fresno St. game. Both teams at 4-4, evenly matched. Fresno in a bit of a down year with a new QB. What I see in Love is some talent, makes some great plays, but will need some more discipline to avoid picks in the NFL. A few things I noticed:

8:25: Love totally drills the rock into a tight window for a TD catch.

10:17: Love forces the rock into double coverage; it's caught, but this could have easily been picked.

10:45: Very nice touch and placement for a TD catch.

14:48: Long ball is underthrown, but caught. This could be an indication of not so great arm strength.

21:15: Nice throw on the run for a completion in crunch time. Helped set up game-winning FG.

I do like Love's intangibles. Needs some coaching up for better decision-making. Is he worth #6? Maybe. Maybe not. That's up to our coaching staff to decide.

Comment

Working...
                          X