• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

If it's so easy why don't other QBs and coaches implement what KC is doing. I've seen Mahomes hit tight target windows that only a handful of QBs make.
    You need 2 things........ a fast mobile athletic QB and extreme game breaking speed at all the other skill positions...... no other team has that.....

Most other teams(not the chargers) have at least one explosive fast WR(but defenses can account for one fast guy)...... EVERY chief receiver is blazing fast(fastest receiving core in history of football)...... if you take a bad angle make a wrong move, etc... you give up a big play or a TD.....thats true of their WR's, RB's and TE's........

Mahomes is NOT a great pure pocket QB..... he's not consistently accurate when he is kept in the pocket...... and the games where he has lost, have been games where teams kept him from escaping and buying time for his super speedy WR's, RB's and TE's to get wide open or at least running AWAY from the defense either downfield or across the field.... so the pass is easy to complete by throwing ball out in front of the receiver where receiver can adjust and run under it.... but it cant be picked off.....

What makes mahomes special is when he is able to escape and buy time.... and his receivers usually end up being completely wide open with no one covering them...... and mahomes does throw very well on the run and from awkward positions....... most of his deep TD's have been thrown to wide open WR's running 10+ yards beyond the defense! ..... yes, occasionally he throws into tight coverage but for most part his receivers are wide open blown coverage situations(like multiple times chargers have attempted to cover hill with a LBer???).........

Reids system is easy conceptually...... each play has the blocking and some skill players acting like the play is going one direction, then the QB(mahomes, smith, or whoever) reads if the defense is flowing that way or not if not the play continues that direction, if the defense flows that direction, then mahomes keeps the ball and rolls the opposite direction and runs or throws a pass to one of his speedy receivers speeding across the field with maybe one defender desperately chasing...... easy completion for at least a good sized gain...... remember that Reid has beaten Chargers every time(except once last year and one other time we beat their backups, who had outplayed us, because of a bad ref call) no matter what QB he had playing......running his brilliant but simple scheme....... he has even beaten us with a backup QB...... KC's success is about Reid...... and team speed

only way to play them is to contain mahomes and play man to man (and disguise double coverages)..... chargers almost always lose because we play conservative zone and usually dont contain mahomes..... last year one game, we contained him and won a close game because of multiple clutch 4th down completions and scoring a 2 point conversion....... on their bad defense.....

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      Simmons has the football speed to stay stride for stride with WRs as a CB,
      and the power, strength, technique plus arm length to disengage from blockers as a MIKE.

I have no idea why people have even one negative word to say about this prospect.
      Maybe because they want an OT bad. And I want an OT bad, but because Simmons is so good, if he's there at #6, it's a no brainer. We can get an OT in round 2 and FA. When you look at Simmons's speed, anticipation, acceleration, his ability to cover, to blitz, the dude can do it all. He actually reminds me a lot of Derwin, the way he anticipates, reads the QB, jumps routes, and his tackling is superior. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

You need 2 things........ a fast mobile athletic QB and extreme game breaking speed at all the other skill positions...... no other team has that.....

Most other teams(not the chargers) have at least one explosive fast WR(but defenses can account for one fast guy)...... EVERY chief receiver is blazing fast(fastest receiving core in history of football)...... if you take a bad angle make a wrong move, etc... you give up a big play or a TD.....thats true of their WR's, RB's and TE's........

Mahomes is NOT a great pure pocket QB..... he's not consistently accurate when he is kept in the pocket...... and the games where he has lost, have been games where teams kept him from escaping and buying time for his super speedy WR's, RB's and TE's to get wide open or at least running AWAY from the defense either downfield or across the field.... so the pass is easy to complete by throwing ball out in front of the receiver where receiver can adjust and run under it.... but it cant be picked off.....

What makes mahomes special is when he is able to escape and buy time.... and his receivers usually end up being completely wide open with no one covering them...... and mahomes does throw very well on the run and from awkward positions....... most of his deep TD's have been thrown to wide open WR's running 10+ yards beyond the defense! ..... yes, occasionally he throws into tight coverage but for most part his receivers are wide open blown coverage situations(like multiple times chargers have attempted to cover hill with a LBer???).........

Reids system is easy conceptually...... each play has the blocking and some skill players acting like the play is going one direction, then the QB(mahomes, smith, or whoever) reads if the defense is flowing that way or not if not the play continues that direction, if the defense flows that direction, then mahomes keeps the ball and rolls the opposite direction and runs or throws a pass to one of his speedy receivers speeding across the field with maybe one defender desperately chasing...... easy completion for at least a good sized gain...... remember that Reid has beaten Chargers every time(except once last year and one other time we beat their backups, who had outplayed us, because of a bad ref call) no matter what QB he had playing......running his brilliant but simple scheme....... he has even beaten us with a backup QB...... KC's success is about Reid...... and team speed

only way to play them is to contain mahomes and play man to man (and disguise double coverages)..... chargers almost always lose because we play conservative zone and usually dont contain mahomes..... last year one game, we contained him and won a close game because of multiple clutch 4th down completions and scoring a 2 point conversion....... on their bad defense.....
        I will agree that this post has lots of good football takes to it.

But what actually happens more often than not ?

Mahomes cannot be contained...not without tremendous discipline. His vision allows him to see the entire length and width of the football field.

Play Man and your DBs have their backs to the LOS. Mahomes can run for days...or use his on the move arm talent.

And too many weapons. Too much talent. Too much speed. Too much Reid.

Charge! , I cannot wait for Final Four Sunday. Intriguing matchups.

TEN matches up well with KC. Top tier defensive backfield. Running game to slow the game down.

Rodgers is very capable of dealin' vs SF. Can the GB Oline hold up ?
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe because they want an OT bad. And I want an OT bad, but because Simmons is so good, if he's there at #6, it's a no brainer. We can get an OT in round 2 and FA. When you look at Simmons's speed, anticipation, acceleration, his ability to cover, to blitz, the dude can do it all. He actually reminds me a lot of Derwin, the way he anticipates, reads the QB, jumps routes, and his tackling is superior. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
          i just watched Yasir Durant and Mehki Becton. I liked what i saw. Durant is vulnerable to inside moves, but he's a big guy who can get down low to defeat bending edge rushers. He went against Josh Allen a few times: looked capable.

An OT in the 2nd round might have a lot of value.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Rd 1 & 2. Linebackers. Im not at all satisfied with the talent level at linebacker. We need player makers.
            I'm also not sure Perryman can stay healthy and he is in last year of contract. White still has a lot to prove and I think Queen is a much better player than him.
            I like the upside of Nwosu, but think he only fits at SAM or as a pass rusher in a bear front. Drue is making a role for himself as a starter.

I think adding these 2 LBs really improves the defense.

1. Simmons-LB, Clemson
            2. Queen-LB, LSU

Defense wins championships.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Outrageous! I like it.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                Rd 1 & 2. Linebackers. Im not at all satisfied with the talent level at linebacker. We need player makers.
                I'm also not sure Perryman can stay healthy and he is in last year of contract. White still has a lot to prove and I think Queen is a much better player than him.
                I like the upside of Nwosu, but think he only fits at SAM or as a pass rusher in a bear front. Drue is making a role for himself as a starter.

I think adding these 2 LBs really improves the defense.

1. Simmons-LB, Clemson
                2. Queen-LB, LSU

Defense wins championships.
                Prefer to go OT in round 2, but possible. Another upside of having Queen is we can pair him up with Desmond in the box, so we'll have King and Queen together...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Outrageous! I like it.
                  It would make me sick.

Something morose in me does find appeal in giving Bradley Simmons, and another good cover corner, and a physical presence in the middle of the Dline so that he could turn the D into the #8 ranked defense.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

When we were healthy, we took down Baltimore in the playoffs with our D. And with our anemic O. They have improved, we need to as well.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Prefer to go OT in round 2, but possible. Another upside of having Queen is we can pair him up with Desmond in the box, so we'll have King and Queen together...
                      Maybe we can also trade for Miles Jack.

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

So your saying as long as Reid and Mahomes are around, chargers lose 90% going forward. I can see that.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                          San Diego Native
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Farmington, NM
                          • Send PM

Fun with surnames. I love it. I want the Chargers to draft Cushenberry to pair with Quessenberry (and any other berry we can find)

Comment

Working...
                          X