• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

So going over the website again and they do have more advanced defensive stats but only for the last two years. The main takeaway that I got from looking at those other players that you mentioned is that there seems to be a positive correlation between blitzing and pressure. Za'Darius Smith's seems to be the exception since his pressure numbers also increased in 2019 despite blitzing 13 less times. But he still blitzed 32 times more than Melvin in 2019.

I think Melvin acquitted himself quite well for the defensive scheme that he's in. And that's without taking into account other factors.

Melvin Ingram

Dante Fowler (Jags and then became a Ram in 2018). Wade obviously blitzed more.
    image.png

Za'Darius Smith:
    image.png

Shaq Barrett:
    image.png

TJ Watt:
    image.png
    Any stats on Bosa ?

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Any stats on Bosa ?
      Yes. Can't copy and paste right now but Joey is elite whose main weakness is just staying healthy. He basically gets a high amount of pressure without blitzing at all. I believe it was 50 something in 2019.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Any stats on Bosa ?
        I always screw up the charts but I included the link here......

Checkout the latest stats for Joey Bosa. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Defense & Fumbles
        21 SDG DE 99 12 11 10.5 41 29 12 17 21 6
        22 LAC DE/LDE 99 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 4 0 1 0 0 12.5 70 54 16 11 21 13
        23 LAC DE/LDE 99 7 6 0 0 1 0 0 5.5 23 18 5 7 9 4
        24 LAC DE 97 16 16 1 0 0 0 0 11.5 67 47 20 18 31 11
        51 49 0 0 0 0 1 5 0 2 0 0 40.0 201 148 53 53 82 34
        Snap Counts
        21 SDG DE 99 12 11 0 0% 563 53% 12 3%
        22 LAC DE/LDE 99 16 16 0 0% 851 81% 2 1%
        23 LAC DE/LDE 99 7 6 0 0% 314 30% 0 0%
        24 LAC DE 97 16 16 0 0% 836 86% 12 3%
        0 2564 26
        All-Pro Teams
        1st Tm DE Sporting News
        2nd Tm DE Pro Football Focus
        Advanced Defense & Fumbles
        23 LAC DE/LDE 99 7 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 3 5.5 17 23 3 11.5%
        24 LAC DE 97 16 16 0 1 1 100.0% 13 13.0 13.0 0 118.7 -3.0 -3 16 0 25 16 11.5 54 67 9 11.8%
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Thanks Ninja!

So yes, Joey has a pressure total of 54 (25 hurries, 16 QB knockdown, and 11.5 sacks). All without blitzing the QB. He's the perfect edge rusher in a 4-3 scheme.

Some stats on other elite pass rushers in the NFL.

This is Nick Bosa's. The defensive scheme is basically the same as Bradley's. Obviously, their DTs were better as well with Buckner being the prime example.
          image.png

Khalil Mack: he was in Fangio's 3-4 scheme in 2018, and then Chuck Pagano's in 2019
          image.png

Chandler Jones:
          image.png

Von Miller:
          image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Thanks Ninja!

So yes, Joey has a pressure total of 54 (25 hurries, 16 QB knockdown, and 11.5 sacks). All without blitzing the QB. He's the perfect edge rusher in a 4-3 scheme.

Some stats on other elite pass rushers in the NFL.

This is Nick Bosa's. The defensive scheme is basically the same as Bradley's. Obviously, their DTs were better as well with Buckner being the prime example.
            image.png

Khalil Mack: he was in Fangio's 3-4 scheme in 2018, and then Chuck Pagano's in 2019
            image.png

Chandler Jones:
            image.png

Von Miller:
            image.png
            Again, what do you/they mean without "Blitzing" the QB? DEs dont blitz. They are Edge rushers and do it (rushing the QB) on almost every pass play unless their assignment is contain while an actual blitz is taking place by LBs so the QB dont get the corner to go around them.

I find that stat by PFR...or where ever you got it from to be bizarre for a DE.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Again, what do you/they mean without "Blitzing" the QB? DEs dont blitz. They are Edge rushers and do it (rushing the QB) on almost every pass play unless their assignment is contain while an actual blitz is taking place by LBs so the QB dont get the corner to go around them.

Possibly has something to do with most of the blitz #’s coming mostly from 34 OLBs?

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It's schematic right? An OLB in a 3-4 is an edge rusher. The only difference between them and a 43 DE is that they can have more favorable matchups (ie. taking on a TE versus an OT) or that it's harder to be double teamed. It's also harder for a QB to identify where the pass rush is coming from.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In other words, Ingram now has a new nickname: Mediocre Mel...
                  Cat, this joke is lazier than Gaither and Butler. Combined

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Cat, this joke is lazier than Gaither and Butler. Combined
                    Okay, fair enough. I definitely think Ingram has been a solid player for many years, but he just seems to disappear for long stretches in a lot of games. So, he's a cut well above Gaither, slightly above Butler, post-second contract. Maybe change it to "Intermittent Ingram" ???

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Okay, fair enough. I definitely think Ingram has been a solid player for many years, but he just seems to disappear for long stretches in a lot of games. So, he's a cut well above Gaither, slightly above Butler, post-second contract. Maybe change it to "Intermittent Ingram" ???
                      I'll give you that nickname.

Edit: yeah he's not an elite guy. Though I think he would be better in a scheme like the one used by Belichick or even Bowles with the Bucs.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I'll give you that nickname.

Edit: yeah he's not an elite guy. Though I think he would be better in a scheme like the one used by Belichick or even Bowles with the Bucs.
                        Ingram has never been elite. In 2015 and 2017, his two best years, he totaled 10.5 sacks each year...very good, but not elite. Last two years, 7 sacks a year. Okay, but not so great when you're shelling out $64 mil like the Bolts are on his current deal. Maybe his numbers improve with Joseph in there, along with a hopefully improved Tillery...

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Ingram has never been elite. In 2015 and 2017, his two best years, he totaled 10.5 sacks each year...very good, but not elite. Last two years, 7 sacks a year. Okay, but not so great when you're shelling out $64 mil like the Bolts are on his current deal. Maybe his numbers improve with Joseph in there, along with a hopefully improved Tillery...
                          I tried it doesn't work. It's all good though. I'm glad someone is fighting for him. Hopefully he fights for that contract.

Comment

Working...
                          X