• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post
    On June 11, 2017, Ingram signed a four-year, $66 million contract with $42 million guaranteed with the Chargers.

It will be his 10th season. He has had 2 seasons with double digit sacks in his career. Both 10.5 (2015,2017)

He is averaging 5.3 sacks per year. With the 42 million guaranteed only. That is about 2 million per sack.

How many sacks will Melvin Ingram need for the Chargers to offer him another contract?
    Also where are you getting the 5.3 sacks per year? Even if you include all 8 years (from 2012-2019), it still comes out to be 6.125 sacks per year.

If you just include the three years so far since he signed his second contract, it's roughly 8 sacks per year.

image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Anyone have a PFF subscription lol? It seems that we need some analytics on pressure and hurries.
      Pro football reference has a catagory of QB hits. Ingram only had 12 last season while Bosa had 31 and Z'Darius Smith ha 37, TJ Watt had 36, Shaquile Barrett had 37 ...even Donte Fowler had 18. I can keep going but you get the picture.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Pro football reference has a catagory of QB hits. Ingram only had 12 last season while Bosa had 31 and Z'Darius Smith ha 37, TJ Watt had 36, Shaquile Barrett had 37 ...even Donte Fowler had 18. I can keep going but you get the picture.
        In other words, Ingram now has a new nickname: Mediocre Mel...

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

What makes up the QB hits though? Is it literally just hits after the QB throws the ball whether it is completed or not? It is an incomplete picture. But yes a picture.

Comment

• SuperCharged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Utah
            • Midnight Toker
            • Send PM

Also where are you getting the 5.3 sacks per year? Even if you include all 8 years (from 2012-2019), it still comes out to be 6.125 sacks per year.

If you just include the three years so far since he signed his second contract, it's roughly 8 sacks per year.

image.png
            You're pretty fired up. :cartman:

So since you brought it up. I will explain. I used 9 years for what ever reason and typo'd 5.3 instead of 5.4. So there ya go. My bad. Still is subpar/journeyman numbers.

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

What makes up the QB hits though? Is it literally just hits after the QB throws the ball whether it is completed or not? It is an incomplete picture. But yes a picture.
              Semantics. The bottom line is he is an AVERAGE player. Nothing more nothing less. The position will be upgraded after this season. He will not be resigned unless it is for much much less money.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

You're pretty fired up. :cartman:

So since you brought it up. I will explain. I used 9 years for what ever reason and typo'd 5.3 instead of 5.4. So there ya go. My bad. Still is subpar/journeyman numbers.
                8 sacks a year isn't subpar even if you go solely by sack as an indicator of how good a player is.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Semantics. The bottom line is he is an AVERAGE player. Nothing more nothing less. The position will be upgraded after this season. He will not be resigned unless it is for much much less money.
                  Good to very good does not mean average. Unless you think anything less than elite is average. In which case, I guess I agree.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

If they are close enough to get a hit on them after a throw then they are imo applying pressure. Of course a late hit is a penalty so getting a hit on them,.... They were very close to getting them.

Thats how I see the it as it's the only thing I see out there to use as getting pressure on the QB.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It’s who we got. Hope he has a career season.
                      Last edited by blueman; 05-17-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

If they are close enough to get a hit on them after a throw then they are imo applying pressure. Of course a late hit is a penalty so getting a hit on them,.... They were very close to getting them.

Thats how I see the it as it's the only thing I see out there to use as getting pressure on the QB.
                        So going over the website again and they do have more advanced defensive stats but only for the last two years. The main takeaway that I got from looking at those other players that you mentioned is that there seems to be a positive correlation between blitzing and pressure. Za'Darius Smith's seems to be the exception since his pressure numbers also increased in 2019 despite blitzing 13 less times. But he still blitzed 32 times more than Melvin in 2019.

I think Melvin acquitted himself quite well for the defensive scheme that he's in. And that's without taking into account other factors.

Melvin Ingram

Dante Fowler (Jags and then became a Ram in 2018). Wade obviously blitzed more.
                        image.png

Za'Darius Smith:
                        image.png

Shaq Barrett:
                        image.png

TJ Watt:
                        image.png

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

On a pass play how exactly is the defensive end considered blitzing when his main job is to get to the quarterback? Seems like a flawed stat to me.

Now I do understand if we're playing against a running quarterback sometimes a DE will have contain duties and he will not be rushing the passer as much.

Comment

Working...
                          X