• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Rivers covering up a lot of Lynn’s flaws was brought up in the past day or so and was really something that hadn’t occurred to me before. I don’t think Herbert has the autonomy to say screw this call and save the coaching staff like Rivers did.
    Not yet he doesnt. It will take a few seasons and why the suggestion of shutting him down the next three games is lame. Needs to see as much as he can.

Sure we dont want him to get injured but thats the chance you take ANYTIME you go out there with any player. Our OL isnt good but it isnt the worst out there either. Bengals and Giants to name a couple are worse.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think Rivers did hide a lot of things because he was so mentally in the game
      I don't agree at all.

Rivers was coming off a few down years where he had tossed a combined 52 interceptions.

His 1st two seasons with Lynn, Rivers had his best stretch of TD to Int since year 2 and 3 with Norv. He won double digit games with 12-4 which had not happen since 2009 and tied his best QB passer rating of his career. And he had the 2nd best completion percentage of his career. And he 2nd best TD percentage.. And he had his lowest INT percentage of his career under Lynn. Lowest INT rate and best passer rating. Right after having a few poor years.
      That happened under Lynn.
      Lynn made it clear when he arrived he wanted Rivers to cut down the turnovers and increase his completion percentage even if that meant taking the short stuff more often.
      Lynn had press conferences and mention trying to find the balance of letting Rivers ball out and be aggressive and playing smart, taking what defense gives him and keeping the pressure off Rivers by supporting him with the run game. Guess what that is exactly what the Colts team is doing for Rivers. Relying on the run game. And not asking Rivers to do it all.

Herbert is having a better year than Rivers is. Just doesn't have the same defense, o line and kicker Rivers has with Colts. You would think Reich is Rivers friendly and he would be lighting it up, but his stats are not even close to how good he was in 2017 and 2018 under Lynn. Herbert is doing amazing under Lynn.

Like it or not that is on the Lynn resume.
      Rivers one his best seasons in his career.
      Rookie Herbert having a history breaking season.

I know they both did it all in spite of Lynn. Well then maybe Lynn is doing reverse mojo with these QBs. He is so terrible as a HC that they are forced to play out of their mind to compensate for all his failure.

Since Rivers left..... the delay of games on offense have stopped and the way too many last second aduibles clap clap quick hike it, or got to burn a timeout, that has stopped. And the jump ball throws into double coverage have disappeared as well.

I am the only one.
      But I really do think the Herbert/Lynn combo will work very well moving forward.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Rivers has been cleaning his HCs shit up since picking up a freshly thrown challenge flag thrown by mike mcfraud in 2013 after he threw it to challenge an unchallengeable play
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I don't agree at all.

Rivers was coming off a few down years where he had tossed a combined 52 interceptions.

His 1st two seasons with Lynn, Rivers had his best stretch of TD to Int since year 2 and 3 with Norv. He won double digit games with 12-4 which had not happen since 2009 and tied his best QB passer rating of his career. And he had the 2nd best completion percentage of his career. And he 2nd best TD percentage.. And he had his lowest INT percentage of his career under Lynn. Lowest INT rate and best passer rating. Right after having a few poor years.
          That happened under Lynn.
          Lynn made it clear when he arrived he wanted Rivers to cut down the turnovers and increase his completion percentage even if that meant taking the short stuff more often.
          Lynn had press conferences and mention trying to find the balance of letting Rivers ball out and be aggressive and playing smart, taking what defense gives him and keeping the pressure off Rivers by supporting him with the run game. Guess what that is exactly what the Colts team is doing for Rivers. Relying on the run game. And not asking Rivers to do it all.

Herbert is having a better year than Rivers is. Just doesn't have the same defense, o line and kicker Rivers has with Colts. You would think Reich is Rivers friendly and he would be lighting it up, but his stats are not even close to how good he was in 2017 and 2018 under Lynn. Herbert is doing amazing under Lynn.

Like it or not that is on the Lynn resume.
          Rivers one his best seasons in his career.
          Rookie Herbert having a history breaking season.

I know they both did it all in spite of Lynn. Well then maybe Lynn is doing reverse mojo with these QBs. He is so terrible as a HC that they are forced to play out of their mind to compensate for all his failure.

Since Rivers left..... the delay of games on offense have stopped and the way too many last second aduibles clap clap quick hike it, or got to burn a timeout, that has stopped. And the jump ball throws into double coverage have disappeared as well.

I am the only one.
          But I really do think the Herbert/Lynn combo will work very well moving forward.
          I think you are missing the point: the point wasn't Rivers play during Lynn's time, it was Rivers football IQ masking some potential boneheaded coaching decisions and calls. He was always adjusting blocking, changing plays, knowing when to call timeouts, when to spike the ball, etc. No way he would have stayed in a run at the end of the half, he'd have audibled out of it. Yes, it took time pre-snap and occasionally cost us. He is gone this year and suddenly Lynn's clock management and Steichen's play calling have at times been horrible. I don't think it is a coincidence, unless you think Lynn suddenly got worse as a coach in his 4th year. It appears now that Rivers is gone and we have a rookie QB who doesn't evidently have the autonomy or experience to change a glaring mistake, he just runs the plays called. So yeah, few delay of games, but pure disaster at times.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I think you are missing the point: the point wasn't Rivers play during Lynn's time, it was Rivers football IQ masking some potential boneheaded coaching decisions and calls. He was always adjusting blocking, changing plays, knowing when to call timeouts, when to spike the ball, etc. No way he would have stayed in a run at the end of the half, he'd have audibled out of it. Yes, it took time pre-snap and occasionally cost us. He is gone this year and suddenly Lynn's clock management and Steichen's play calling have at times been horrible. I don't think it is a coincidence, unless you think Lynn suddenly got worse as a coach in his 4th year. It appears now that Rivers is gone and we have a rookie QB who doesn't evidently have the autonomy or experience to change a glaring mistake, he just runs the plays called. So yeah, few delay of games, but pure disaster at times.
            Totally agree.

We are seeing the little things that Rivers changed at the line aka, bad play calls. Maybe that's why Lynn wanted to move on so he could run more but NO WAY Rivers stays in a stupid run with no time outs in two games now.

Herbert just isn't there yet to change the play. It's gonna take some time for that and Steichen lame calls are a lot more evident.

It's a wonder why some complained that he ran the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds when it was clear as day why he did that directing players around and changing protections, etc.
            That way you don't have a QB sneak called with the OL in pass protection lol.

Now we had a couple in game threads complaining that Herbert snaps it to soon lol.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Totally agree.

We are seeing the little things that Rivers changed at the line aka, bad play calls. Maybe that's why Lynn wanted to move on so he could run more but NO WAY Rivers stays in a stupid run with no time outs in two games now.

Herbert just isn't there yet to change the play. It's gonna take some time for that and Steichen lame calls are a lot more evident.

It's a wonder why some complained that he ran the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds when it was clear as day why he did that directing players around and changing protections, etc.
              That way you don't have a QB sneak called with the OL in pass protection lol.

Now we had a couple in game threads complaining that Herbert snaps it to soon lol.
              I agree with both Rich and Boltjolt - its the little things Rivers did. Sure, there were many times he made horrendous decisions but I think its pretty dadgum obvious that he made calls to help Lynn and Steichen.

And yes, Herbert is a rookie who needs more coaching than Rivers would need. The offense they are running in Indy is the dadbum offense I was begging for the last 5 years, at least 3. Ball control, good blend of play action, running, passing. And it all started with a VERY GOOD O LINE. Rivers could have run this offense with the Chargers - they just never gave him the OL he needed.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Please. Stop the BS. Rivers is doing a bunch of that still and was doing that his whole career with Norv and McCoy. He always playing the chess match at the line of scrimmage. That what makes him such a great QB. But also gets him in trouble.

Rivers threw intentional grounding in endzone this year when playing with Colts. And cost his team a safety.
                Let me guess....Lynn fault he did that.

As far as a veteran QB having more authority to get into and out of plays at the line. That what they are developing Herbert to do. Of course he would not be at Rivers level as a rookie.
                The idea is to give as much control at line of scrimmage as Herbert can handle.

When OC gives Rivers his calls. And Rivers adjusts, that is part of the game plan. Lynn was good for Rivers because often Rivers could manipulate the defense and get a look he wanted for a deep dagger. And would be too confident in his line and go 5O protection with mixed results. Lynn wanted him to balance that aggressive nature with taking the easy stuff and relying on run game. And not trying to always find a perfect play to gash the defense. Let his play makers catch it short, hit the check downs and get him yac.

And I thought that was smart of Lynn as I had always thought Rivers would try to do too much too often. And was better when he didn't try to find the perfect play. But just took some of the easier stuff that was there. And then mixed in a few shots off play action.

The narrative is so absurd that there are posts about Herbert carrying Lynn. The rookie can't do half of what Lynn wants him to be able to do. He is still raw with a lot to learn. But very smart and talented. And a hard worker. I like where this team is headed because of two people. Herbert and Lynn. But, I don't trust the front office roster decisions.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

With Colts When Rivers passes 29 times or less. 4-0
                  When Rivers passes 30 times or more 5-4
                  ​​​​
                  Lynn wanted balanced offense. He didn't want to go pass heavy with Rivers for a reason. That reason is the statistics above. Rivers wins more when he does less and rely on run game. Even when it's just 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It helps him win more. He played that way in 2018. He went back to taking too much risk in 2019. And now with Colts in 2020 he has relied on run game and short passing game more again.
                  In his 1st year starting of his career. He went 14-2 because of a great run game with LT, Neal and very good oline. That was always going to be Rivers best formula. When you make Rivers the focal point of offense and run game an afterthought. You often end up 8-8 or 9-7. Most QBs are like that. Team game. Complimentary football.

You all want to to see Herbert go pass heavy. That would be a disdisaster. They should always look to stay balanced and stay committed to run game. Herbert will be better with a great run game to rely on. He will have a much better career if he has that support.

​​​​

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

​​​​
                    Lynn wanted balanced offense. He didn't want to go pass heavy with Rivers for a reason. That reason is the statistics above. Rivers wins more when he does less and rely on run game. Even when it's just 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It helps him win more. He played that way in 2018. He went back to taking too much risk in 2019. And now with Colts in 2020 he has relied on run game and short passing game more again.
                    In his 1st year starting of his career. He went 14-2 because of a great run game with LT, Neal and very good oline. That was always going to be Rivers best formula. When you make Rivers the focal point of offense and run game an afterthought. You often end up 8-8 or 9-7. Most QBs are like that. Team game. Complimentary football.

You all want to to see Herbert go pass heavy. That would be a disdisaster. They should always look to stay balanced and stay committed to run game. Herbert will be better with a great run game to rely on. He will have a much better career if he has that support.

​​​​
                    of course. that's always the case. This is actually the one area where you would expect Lynn to have some expertise. Hasn't panned out. Also why I was saying before the season started that we had no depth at RB and going into the season depending on JJ to stay healthy was a mistake. Joshua Kelly has regressed so far that he doesn't even dress on game day. That's a huge fail on Lynn.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

​​​​

​​​​
                      Thats everyones best formula, not just for Rivers. Last season our RBs had over 100 receptions, Henry had 55. There were many short passes. Keenans YPC with 100 receptions was 11. Less than 10 this year. Plenty of short passes.

The Colts were down by 3 TDs at the half in their last loss to Tenn and Tenn scored first in the 3rd quarter (FG) so they were down 24. You cant have a balanced attack down by 24 so of course they had to throw more. When a defense knows you have t throw more to catch up, they can pin their ears back more and do different things so its no surprise. Only OUR opponents come back from 24 to beat us so of course that game was a loss for them.

Im sure most QBs record are worse when they throw more than not. It means their run game is working.

I dont want to be Herbert be pass heavy but Steichens play calls have been suspect. Sometimes our run game isnt working well so you have to change it up and not run every first down like he does. Its too predicable. Just throw here and there on first down to change it. Even if its a short pass to Henry.....do something different is all im saying. Steichen needs to go IMO.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Thats everyones best formula, not just for Rivers. Last season our RBs had over 100 receptions, Henry had 55. There were many short passes. Keenans YPC with 100 receptions was 11. Less than 10 this year. Plenty of short passes.

The Colts were down by 3 TDs at the half in their last loss to Tenn and Tenn scored first in the 3rd quarter (FG) so they were down 24. You cant have a balanced attack down by 24 so of course they had to throw more. When a defense knows you have t throw more to catch up, they can pin their ears back more and do different things so its no surprise. Only OUR opponents come back from 24 to beat us so of course that game was a loss for them.

Im sure most QBs record are worse when they throw more than not. It means their run game is working.

I dont want to be Herbert be pass heavy but Steichens play calls have been suspect. Sometimes our run game isnt working well so you have to change it up and not run every first down like he does. Its too predicable. Just throw here and there on first down to change it. Even if its a short pass to Henry.....do something different is all im saying. Steichen needs to go IMO.
                        Lynn, Stewart, Bradley, Steichen can all go

And here is the thing: if Stewart Bradley and Steichen are replaced but Lynn stays - doesn't that mean Lynn should go too - since he hired them and put them in positions where they didn't succeed

If Lynn is brought back with changes to the staff - especially with only one year - my guess, he goes all in with Haley and Rex on his staff.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I think Steichen has done some good things with screen game. And Ekeler back is helping everyone as he is just so much better vision and so much better running behind blocks.
                          I think Jackson has some good vision too but can't stay healthy. I don't see any vision with Kelley.

Comment

Working...
                          X