Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

Some coaches have "it" some don't. Lynn doesn't.
    Did you say that a couple of years ago when his team won 14 games?

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You should read the article about Colts transition to Seattle style defense this year. Going from tampa cover 2 to cover 3 and single high with coverage matching. Talks about how the personel and talent matters to actually do it well and that the learning curve ends up with busted assignments at times but once they get confident and comfortable then things start to click.

I think it's always this way. Talent. Experience. Confidence. And then good things happen. Adderley is getting experience, Murray is getting experience. Talent like Harris and James in the secondary are missing.

​​​​​​I would expect improvement when experience and health improve the defense will. But they have to make game winning FG when they have chance. They have to make that 4th down play without a pass interference and win the game.

And they have to make sure if they have deep third then lock it down. If they have the B gap, don't fill the C gap and allow a big play. Execution is paramount no matter what defense scheme is played.

Again I'm sympathetic because I know what it's like to lose my best players and go from kicking butt to struggling. And there was no play I could call to make my back up faster and more skilled and harder to defend. My mismatches went away. And I had to try and milk the clock. And shorten the game to keep it close so we had a chance to win. But even then it only worked against bad teams or average teams. I could not keep up with the good teams who's talent was healthy and on the field. The matchup was in their favor. But then one the better teams player got hurt and it level the game out because my back up was better than their back up. And I had an advantage again.

The secondary absolutely needs Harris and James on the field to be great.

Fire Gus. Fire Lynn. It won't change anything this year.

And if next year coach has James and Harris healthy. As well as a more experienced and better Murray, Adderley and hopefully Tillery. And possibly a free agent addition or draft d addition. It won't be a fair comparison to Gus. It won't be the same defense personel on the field with same level of experience. Things are fluid. Each season, each game, each quarter, each play is it's own thing.
      I tried to read the article but the OC register would not let me.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You should read the article about Colts transition to Seattle style defense this year. Going from tampa cover 2 to cover 3 and single high with coverage matching. Talks about how the personel and talent matters to actually do it well and that the learning curve ends up with busted assignments at times but once they get confident and comfortable then things start to click.

I think it's always this way. Talent. Experience. Confidence. And then good things happen. Adderley is getting experience, Murray is getting experience. Talent like Harris and James in the secondary are missing.

​​​​​​I would expect improvement when experience and health improve the defense will. But they have to make game winning FG when they have chance. They have to make that 4th down play without a pass interference and win the game.

And they have to make sure if they have deep third then lock it down. If they have the B gap, don't fill the C gap and allow a big play. Execution is paramount no matter what defense scheme is played.

Again I'm sympathetic because I know what it's like to lose my best players and go from kicking butt to struggling. And there was no play I could call to make my back up faster and more skilled and harder to defend. My mismatches went away. And I had to try and milk the clock. And shorten the game to keep it close so we had a chance to win. But even then it only worked against bad teams or average teams. I could not keep up with the good teams who's talent was healthy and on the field. The matchup was in their favor. But then one the better teams player got hurt and it level the game out because my back up was better than their back up. And I had an advantage again.

The secondary absolutely needs Harris and James on the field to be great.

Fire Gus. Fire Lynn. It won't change anything this year.

And if next year coach has James and Harris healthy. As well as a more experienced and better Murray, Adderley and hopefully Tillery. And possibly a free agent addition or draft d addition. It won't be a fair comparison to Gus. It won't be the same defense personel on the field with same level of experience. Things are fluid. Each season, each game, each quarter, each play is it's own thing.
        I understand what you are saying, I agree with the injury part. I disagree that Gus is a god D coordinator. He comes up with good game plans but falls flat when the other team adjusts to his scheme. He does not know how to manufacture pressure when his four are not working. My problem with Lynn is he is loyal to Gus even when Gus is causing him to drown, he is loyal to Stewart when it is clear Stewart has not clue what is going on and our ST are a joke week in and week out.

I didnt coach but I played QB. I know what it is to have good players missing but there are ways to scheme and get other players to perform even when they are not as gifted as the starters.

I am not a fan of the Tampa 2 defense, it is like the famed "46" defense and that it is really bad except when you have amazing players executing at a incredibly high level. The 46 worked because they had all pros everywhere and they were all playing at their best. Once the players started slowing down the defense was good but not great (in 86' as opposed to 85') Then in 87' they were ok but not what they were. Same with the Tampa 2. You basically need a best in the league front 4 plus a generational talent at Mike to make it work, like Brooks. If one of those pieces is missing the Tampa 2 is just OK at best.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

not sure if it was Rivera and/or Norv, or maybe another coach or coupla few, and.... fondly remember second halves where after watching the opposing team for a half, our squad would come out and shut them down if not out for the second half, or Rivers would go on a tear w/Norv's adjustments from halftime.... that is def not happening here w/this squad.

also have seen nothing save for the retaining of the likes of Mebane/Square that AL has established any kind of "culture" here.

am also of the opinion that his personnel leanings have actually hampered putting the best players on the field and the roster, not to mention that he has talked smack about his players, specifically the both of Rivers and Herbert.

he was a breath of fresh air post McCoy, as AL candidly talked about his football w/reporters @his pressers.... he now knows that his brand of football has not flourished, first out of the gate @0-4 and this year w/Tyrod against Cincy.... he also failed to finish out strong last season w/the both of Bosa and James, and.... his hand was/has obviously been forced by the success/know how of Rivers/Whisenhunt and now w/Herbert and perhaps even w/an insistence by Steichen to open things up w/Justin @the helm ??

my sense is that he is not the most compatible, nor optimum HC to lead the Los Angeles Chargers, and will also repeat that have had no indication that the either of McCoy nor Lynn were Telesco hires, and that MM was a hire by Wolf/committee, and AL primarily by young John Spanos.

Telesco has gone from an early season high w/the coming out of JH10, to this midseason low w/the jettisoning of DK.... he needs to assert himself, or find himself in real GM football trouble.
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I did not, I thought we had a winner. I wanted Lynn to succeed. However my confidence in Lynn has dropped off dramatically this year, I do not think he has a prayer of salvaging this season. His career as the Chargers head coach is over, it's just a matter of timing now. Will he succeed somewhere else? Maybe, maybe not.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

The last time this team won 14 games, wasn't our coach Marty?

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The last time this team won 14 games, wasn't our coach Marty?
                Your right - it was 12-4, none the less the question is still the same - did you want him fired then?

My point is he's still the same HC, in fact he's probably better now due to experience.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Not necessarily Roo
                  we have more information since then
                  12-4 is now sandwiched between losing records
                  but to your point, a Lynn lead Chargers team did end with a 12-4 record fwiw
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Your right - it was 12-4, none the less the question is still the same - did you want him fired then?

My point is he's still the same HC, in fact he's probably better now due to experience.
                    problem was/is that Lynn didn't like the 12-4 car that he was riding.... wanted something a bit more maneuverable, something that had a bit more wheels to it, and....

he got his way, and regressed.... heavily, just as he had when he started his first season, when he didn't really real eyes how to best drive the car he was given.

luckily for him, the football gods DMV'd his first game model, and gave him a scoop of sHerbert, which he has reluctantly adapted to, albeit he can't stop himself from reverting to form w/a lead, not to mention he's slowly been losing the trust of his pax, as they're not sure he's the right driver for the car he has ??

so yes, he's pretty much the same HC.... the one who perhaps hasn't really grown into the job as he could have ??
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

problem was/is that Lynn didn't like the 12-4 car that he was riding.... wanted something a bit more maneuverable, something that had a bit more wheels to it, and....

he got his way, and regressed.... heavily, just as he had when he started his first season, when he didn't really real eyes how to best drive the car he was given.

luckily for him, the football gods DMV'd his first game model, and gave him a scoop of sHerbert, which he has reluctantly adapted to, albeit he can't stop himself from reverting to form w/a lead, not to mention he's slowly been losing the trust of his pax, as they're not sure he's the right driver for the car he has ??

so yes, he's pretty much the same HC.... the one who perhaps hasn't really grown into the job as he could have ??
                      We ran the gauntlet - KC, TB, NO - came close but lost - time to start winning now.

The turn around starts this week! (Should have started last week)

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Or teams know his weaknesses now and are exploiting them (see our 16 losses in our last 23 games for lots of examples).

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Or teams know his weaknesses now and are exploiting them (see our 16 losses in our last 23 games for lots of examples).
                          Bradly?
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X