• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

I'm sure this is difficult for the Chargers owner because Lynn is such a nice guy and everyone around the league who knows him think he's a wonderful person.

However I believe the old saying may apply here in relation to the NFL: NICE GUYS FINISH LAST. Like someone said on here, they believe Lynn would make a great College Coach, the NFL pros these days only want a HC that puts them in a position to WIN games.

The Chargers Owners need to realize and I'm sure they do... Los Angeles only wants winning seasons. I believe the Lakers went through something like this before they brought the great Phil Jackson in to Coach. The coach they had prior was a NICE GUY! Phil came in and brought a tried and proven culture, and they became a Dynasty.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

It is and it’s also a clever way to psychologically protect yourself as one of Lynn’s biggest public detractors
      this way popper can feel better about himself in the morning and let the bad guys like me do all the talking

with absolute pleasure
      The thing with Lynn is this - he was still preaching balance in week 16 or something. The Chargers OL was not set up to run the football. So, still wanting "balance" in the name of a bygone era of football was not helping your team win games

If the Chargers keep Lynn and get a new ST coach and new DC - that might help. But end of the day, some game next September the Chargers will be in a close game and the same clock mgmt/game mgmt will happen or Lynn will still want to "establish" the running game

So to Poppers point - moving forward, is Lynn the best coach for the team and Herbert. I think the answer is no.

Brian Daboll I think is.

My prediction: Lynn will be back because - well its the Spanii way. I knew once he wasn't fired after the NE game this could happen. And when they beat the Falcons and Riaders - it was pretty much a done deal.

This would be very Un-Spanii like to fire Lynn and think bigger picture

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I saw this tweet and thought the same thing

Warren Sharp is also not a fan of Anthony Lynn

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

The problem I have with popper is when he states passed it once in 4th quarter in that Raiders game to make his point that Lynn runs too much or is too conservative.
          To me his point there is a bit of a lie because he doesn't mention the time on the clock when they got the ball or count the sack as a pass attempt. Since it doesn't count as an attempt in the stats, and what about any RPO call where pass was option. Or any calls where Justin could audible to a run or pass based on what he sees.

When you add in context.
          Raiders and Mariota went on a 9min drive and tied the game with 6min left. Chargers ran it on 1st down for 27yd. Herbert then took off on the next play for a run of his own 12 yards. I don't know if it was a plan run or if he took off when he didn't like what he saw on pass or if it was a rpo. But, you just move 39 yards on two plays. So they run it again for 6 yards. They run it again for 2 yards. But it stalls when they throw incomplete on 3rd down and then miss FG. Mariota throws a interception with 2min left and Harris return it to 33 of Raiders. They run it for 5 and 3 yards and then get sacked when they pass it. Kick FG miss again. So, it wasn't like they didn't get good production on the 4 straight runs. 47yds. I can see if they went -1, 3 and then incomplete, punt or miss FG. But when it's productive, I don't understand the criticism and also when you really only had the one possession at 6min mark on your side of field. The other possession was under 2min tie game at their 33, so kill clock with run and try make opponent use timeouts. Then kick game winner. Should have actually ran it again instead of pass where Herbert was sacked if you ask me.

And that was it, two possessions very late in a tie game. And the run was working. And they attempt at least two pass, since popper doesn't count the sack pass attempt, and possible another attempt if that Hebert run was a pass chance. And I don't know if any of those run were RPO meaning the option to pass was there. Popper didn't detail any of that in his analysis.
          Also he does not include the possibility that Herbert was given both a run and a pass or rpo call so he can get into a play he like vs their front and coverage. For all we know Lynn, Steichen and Pep told Herbert, if you don't like what your seeing, you can get back to the run or hit a check down. We are not in the room when they game plan we are not on sideline nor in huddle. Quite a bit of Popper whole analysis is results grading. And that is often all you have to go on...what did the Chargers do and did it work. What could they have done.

Now any decision to punt on a 4th and short in opponent territory. I get that criticism. But I don't think it's a situation where you always go for it on 4th and short. The 49yd line is different than the 39 or 29. What is the score and how much time left in game. And how has opponent moved the ball. Things to consider.

I don’t know about exact stats, i just recall watching the game and cursing under my breath that they weren’t calling pass plays in 1st and 2nd down as the game came down to the 4th quarter. You can say the runs were “working” but they didn’t work as they didn’t get first downs. They ended up with two too-long FG attempts that the wobbly badger missed because they didn’t get first downs. Sure - 3rd down was a pass - but that felt too late to be calling a pass to too many of us. Including Popper, it seems.

For all we know is all you know. You can make up hypothetical imaginary conversation scenarios - we only know what we saw. For all I know, Lynn puckered his sphincter up into his anus and it physically froze up his lips - so he didn’t say a single word the entire 4th quarter to Steichen, Herbert, or anyone. I know I didn’t hear him.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2020
            • Send PM

It all depends how they looked at things.

What were the expectations?
            Win division. I'm sure it was a goal. But did they actually think in year 1 after Rivers left that they would overtake the Cheifs. I'm going to say no. Did they think Herbert would end up OROY. How do they view some of the injury. As a reason things weren't as good or just an excuse. Do they think regardless of the HC we need our stars like Bosa and Ingram getting 10 plus sacks each. Does that make them less likely to blame Lynn for defense deficiencies. Did they expect more play and production from Pouncey, Turner and Bulaga. Does that make them less likely to blame Lynn for the ups and downs.
            Did they already go into this season, especially with no pre season thinking this is a mulligan year for the HC who has 1 year left on contract. Are they still happy with him for winning so many games in 1st two seasons in LA. Do they see the 33-31 record as a positive. Do they feel, other than some tough losses, the transition from Rivers to Herbert went better than they could have hoped for. Did they find this 4-0 ending and 5-2 over last 7 games as a positive thing going into 2021.
            If they have strong feeling that Lynn is still the right guy for this franchise. If they feel that the foundation set by Lynn is a good one and deserving of 1 more season. Then seems very likely Lynn is here in 2021.

But if they feel he failed to live up to expectations. If they think he doesn't have the ability to adapt and get more out of a team that even with injury and a rookie QB, that this was still a playoff caliber roster but Lynn mismanaged it. Then I would think he would be gone. Why keep him if you truly feel he got in the way of making the playoffs.

We shall see tomorrow how they saw the year.
            :coffee:

​​​​​​
            I feel that you very often give fair and more importantly strong data driven assessments of your views which I am very appreciative for.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

they always know what Chargers are doing? If they knew Chargers would be getting shut out in almost every game

And here is the spin.
              Even with the worst pass blocking oline in the game, the Chargers still have the 6th best passing attack in yards And 10th in TDs. Imagine how good it would be if they could block it better. Any credit to coaching for getting more out of this than than should.

Imagine how better defense would be if they had two healthy pass rushers.

This is a 2-13 team based on its offensive trench play and ability to pressure the opponent QB. But it is 6-9 because of the mitigation with run and screen game to slow down pass rush and make life a bit easier for the rookie QB.

The coaches are so many more levels better in their football IQ and game planning than fans like Chain. It actually quite absurd.
              ​​​​​​​If I'm going to bet on any fans in this forum ideas on this team and it's roster and coaching. I'm betting on TPB people like Chargeroo and Ninja and Chilles and Boltjolt and Wud-dai. I'm ignoring all of Chainy advice because he would get my franchise QB wrecked.

I could not agree more!! I have gotten so much solid information over the years on these message boards, even when I am at complete disagreement with some of the views. The ones you mentioned among some others are the messages I comb through mostly and am very appreciative of as well!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

The title of this thread is now answered. Sorry Critty, the writing was on the wall. No more excuses to make now.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Making an editorial decision... closing the thread. Time to move on .

Comment

Working...
                  X